BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bruno Berner

yoda

Blackburn have added to the signing of Stephen Warnock by recruiting Swiss international left-back Bruno Berner.

The 29-year-old has moved to Ewood Park from Basel on an 18-month deal after joining for what the club describe as "a small transfer fee".

Rovers have the option to extend the deal for a further year if Berner impresses in the Premiership, but the defender will be ineligible for the Uefa Cup having already played in the competition for his former club.

Rovers boss Mark Hughes handed Berner a four-day trial earlier in the month and, having sold James McEveley to Derby on Tuesday, decided to add the full-back to his ranks.

January has seen substantial upheaval in Blackburn's backline, with Lucas Neill joining West Ham and Andre Ooijer picking up a serious injury. Berner will now compete with Warnock - himself a January signing from Liverpool - for a first-team place.

Fron SPN :unsure:

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surely he cant be that much better than Mceverly who is 21 compared to 29 and English.

We were due to lose up to a million in tyransfer fee + wages on McEverly in the next 4 months so to sell him whilst we can and getting this guy for virtually nothing makes good business sense.

We were due to lose up to a million in tyransfer fee + wages on McEverly in the next 4 months so to sell him whilst we can and getting this guy for virtually nothing makes good business sense.

Now I don't know the rules exactly but would we still have got a transfer fee for McEveley as he came through the academy ranks and is under the age of 24

So this guy doesn't want paying any wages over the same period does he not?

Seems a pretty strange move on the face of it, replacing a 22 year old with a 30 year old on an 18 month contract especially when Gray is I think already under contract for a similar sort of period.

Still I suppose if McEveley was determined to see out his contract (Thanks Lucash! :angry: ) I suppose we felt we might as well take the 600k now.

Now I don't know the rules exactly but would we still have got a transfer fee for McEveley as he came through the academy ranks and is under the age of 24

I don't know the rules properly either, but isn't there some sort of set formula for "compensation" rather than "a fee" as such?

Still I suppose if McEveley was determined to see out his contract (Thanks Lucash! :angry: ) I suppose we felt we might as well take the 600k now.

600k ? i thought we got a million for the defender who had one decent game for us!

600k ? i thought we got a million for the defender who had one decent game for us!

According to the LT it was 600k which may rise to a million depending on add ons. The paper also mentioned a sell on clause but were ambiguous as to whether the million would be triggered by appearances etc and then there would be a sell on clause on top, or whether the figure might eventually reach 1m in total as a result of the sell on clause.

Dont you mean 'thanks Johnnycash Bosman' Simon? Neill only played to the existing rules he didn't make em! ;)

Alternatively if you really haven't heard of Bosman I'm sure Jay's agent will have done. <_<

Didn't he come through our Academy really? I thought we got him from Evertons Academy - that might have prevented us from getting any compensatiion - but I really don't know either.

Bruno Berner, so it's true then,we've signed him on a small fee for 18 months(official.)

Lets hope he's a decent player, i thought it was all just another rumour,and he goes straight into tomorrows squad to face Chelsea.

Andy Todd is poorly.......awwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

Bruno Berner, so it's true then,we've signed him on a small fee for 18 months(official.)

Lets hope he's a decent player, i thought it was all, just another rumour.and he goes straight into tomorrows squad to face Chelsea.

Andy Todd is poorly.......awwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

Poorly...injured....poorly. There's something more to this.

Berner was on the bench against us in the UEFA so he's cup-tied for that competition. He has 16 full caps for the Swiss (who did make it to the World Cup) and is a very experienced player.

Given that the transfer window closes and we have let three players go who have played left-back - McEveley, Neill and Matteo - we did need to add some depth.

The club had a good look at him over a couple of weeks at Brockhall so I am sure they expect him to be a good addition. Sparky must have some faith in the lad, I certainly have faith in Sparky :D

McEveley did come to us from Everton and he was heading out of contract so I guess it was good money for us, £600k rising to £1m with add-ons ain't bad. Suspect it has been financially balanced in this window.

Archived