BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] New Striker For Next Season

:rover: a couple of seasons ago i thought ashton would have been a good buy,a lot thought he was not good enough.i thought nugent would be a good buy,but many who had seen him thought him poor.

i think there are two in the lower divisions worth giving a trial too,varney off crewe,and sharp off scunthorpe.

thoughts anyone :brfc:

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:rover: a couple of seasons ago i thought ashton would have been a good buy,a lot thought he was not good enough.i thought nugent would be a good buy,but many who had seen him thought him poor.

i think there are two in the lower divisions worth giving a trial too,varney off crewe,and sharp off scunthorpe.

thoughts anyone :brfc:

Not sure. Both have scored plenty of goals this season - but I'd prefer Sharp (21) over Varney - who is 24. I would have thought we'd be better looking abroad for the money though. 2.5m for McCarthy - probably have to pay that sort of money for Sharp who is unproven at the top. With our budget it's impossible to buy the finished article - but can we gamble on lower division talent with our budget either? I'm still hoping Bellers might be available - fingers crossed.

I was thinking about a partner for Benni this morning. I feel that this would be the final piece in the jigsaw - a decent acquisition and fit first team would make us seriously fierce opposition next season. While it could be worth a look in the lower leagues I feel we already have a youth project in Derb's.

So... I was thinking a cheeky bid for Vasell. He got the pace we need, he can finish, and I'm sure Sparky could turn him into the finished article. While he's done very little for Citeh he was class at Villa and always impressed for England (only a couple of years ago remember). Also, he cost City just £2million so I can't see us havinhg to pay more than that.

Anyone agree?

look no further than Craig Bellamy !

With lfc getting massive money they will surely go for a multi national million pound striker to front the line and I can see them getting rid of players such as

Kewell, Bellamy, Crouch, Pennant, Finnan and the other hangers on. They will undergo a massive rebuild and will have players at a surplus.

look no further than Craig Bellamy !

With lfc getting massive money they will surely go for a multi national million pound striker to front the line and I can see them getting rid of players such as

Kewell, Bellamy, Crouch, Pennant, Finnan and the other hangers on. They will undergo a massive rebuild and will have players at a surplus.

:rover: BELLAMY would be great but many other premier league teams would want him :brfc:

:rover: BELLAMY would be great but many other premier league teams would want him :brfc:

By gum! You just beat me to it Capt ;) I agree obviously with the good Capt K, and would just add that although I think that with the obvious advantage of the MH factor and that Bellers has shown signs of some affection for Ewood Park, there is just a chance that Bellers may have cooled a bit towards Rovers because of the reception he got from a small section of the crowd when 'Pool were last at Ewood.

A striker and a right back are the only positions in the squad i could think that we need to buy! I wouldnt keep nonda mind. Id go for an up and coming starlet rather than having nonda and roberts. Nugent would be a good signing although preston will want silly money. We could possibly look at a season loan deal with a view to a transfer. Alan smith on loan would do nicely, to give benni the kick up the arse when he gets lazy! Right back - Glen Johnson? What happened to him. Luke young if charlton go down!

Also there could be some nice pickings if charlton west ham and watford go down. Ashton, Reo Coker, NEILL, Damien Francis, Darren Bent, Etherington, Boa Morte, Luke Young, Ambrose, Gabbidon, Ferdinand, Tevez, Benayoun and more.

Surely we must be amongst the mix to get a couple of these. Ashton and Bent would be the most desirable althoguht bigger clubs will probably be after them too!

A striker and a right back are the only positions in the squad i could think that we need to buy! I wouldnt keep nonda mind. Id go for an up and coming starlet rather than having nonda and roberts. Nugent would be a good signing although preston will want silly money. We could possibly look at a season loan deal with a view to a transfer. Alan smith on loan would do nicely, to give benni the kick up the arse when he gets lazy! Right back - Glen Johnson? What happened to him. Luke young if charlton go down!

Also there could be some nice pickings if charlton west ham and watford go down. Ashton, Reo Coker, NEILL, Damien Francis, Darren Bent, Etherington, Boa Morte, Luke Young, Ambrose, Gabbidon, Ferdinand, Tevez, Benayoun and more.

Surely we must be amongst the mix to get a couple of these. Ashton and Bent would be the most desirable althoguht bigger clubs will probably be after them too!

:rover: i have always liked ethrington :brfc:

I'm going a different direction. We have two great attackers and crossers of the ball on our wings in MGP and Bentley, both of whom (god willing) are here for a few more years. If Peter waiting in the wings appaers to be a decent crosser of the ball. So it looks like we are set up to attack out wide against most teams. Therefore, I feel we need a bigger lad up front who can use those crosses well in tht air, and still has class with the ball at his feet (therefore not good ol' Shefki)

Not exactlysure who is available like that, and I'd still take Bellers back for a good price, but if we don't keep Nonda, we need to replace his size.

We can't afford Ashton or Nugent, we're a couple of years too late on both of them.

I think there are quite a few strikers who could make the step up and be decent Premiership players...I think the key though is to pick the ones with the natural ability rather than going by the goalscoring charts. Caleb Folan has gone to Wigan and settled in really quickly, knocking in a few along the way. He wasn't at the top of League One scoring charts, but he's quick and powerful so hasn't found it too difficult to adapt. From what I've seen of Billy Sharp, he looks a good finisher but I don't think he's got enough about him to play at this level.

I'm a fan of Benayoun, and while he's not the same type of player as Tugay he sure has the same flair about him so he's someone I wouldn't mind seeing at Ewood.

I think that Benayoun is a pretty temperamental player. I remember singing his praises a while back, but have since heard how he goes hot and cold and how he hasn't been at all committed to West Ham's struggle against relegation.

I disagree that we really need anyone in midfield when we already have Pedersen, Peter, Bentley, Gallagher, Savage, Reid, Tugay, Mokoena and Dunn. That is a really strong midfield IMO

I think we can definately make it to sixth spot next season if we bring in a quality forward, maybe two, and a new right back, moving the fringe players on in the process. I've said for ages how we need a player that can hold the ball up well, attack crosses, while also offering the option of a target man. I thought that Roberts might be that player, but he hasn't really lived up to expectations. Ashton would be a great buy, but he's just going to cost too much money and he's only just about to come back from a long term injury.

Hughes really has built a fantastic squad.

Bellamy would obviously be the player who would be at the top of Hughes list but I just can't see it happening. Even assuming he would like to come back to Rovers and that Liverpool would sell, both matters for some doubt, how on earth would we get together the cash?

Liverpool got him for 6 million because of the clause. In reality he is worth around 10-12 in an open market, maybe with a little off due to his temprement. Every team, and I mean every team, outside the top four bar Newcastle will want to buy him.

Ashton would be an outstanding acquisition, yet he must be worth at least 8, Defoe the same. I would imagine the only way we will have that sort of money to spend is if we lose a big player, which obviously we don't want to happen.

I would guess we are going to look abroad or to the lower divisions. More likely abroad imo.

I feel we need a bigger lad up front who can use those crosses well in tht air, and still has class with the ball at his feet (therefore not good ol' Shefki)

Nikola Zigic almost 7feet has been linked with the premiership recently.

Bellamy would obviously be the player who would be at the top of Hughes list but I just can't see it happening. Even assuming he would like to come back to Rovers and that Liverpool would sell, both matters for some doubt, how on earth would we get together the cash?

You mean aside from the ridiculous TV money next year? I suspect that Hughes has tabs on a player or three.

A new striker... Camara would be my choice, and how expensive can he be. Samba said that of all the strikers he's played with or against, Henri Camara was the hardest, because he's so damn fast.

Zigic has done well in spain, but he looks like he needs an extra touch that he will not get in the premiership, and I suspect he'd be expensive.

There was a rumor on the BBC gossip column a couple of weeks back saying that Rovers were interested in Grzegorz Rasiak from Southampton (Currently 3rd top scorer in the Championship on 18 gls). Not sure what he might be like but he's been in the Prem with Tottingham. Martin Jol said he was "a tall target man, a hard-working, honest player with a good goal scoring record.", then off-loaded him to Southampton hmm... Wiki linky

I saw Nugents goal for the Nob End V Southampton last week, very cool finish. Is he always that good?

He's a fantastic talent. I've been monitoring his progress over the past two seasons and he'll cut himself a decent trade in the Premership. However, he won't be allowed to leave for less than £8million. With this tag, there is no possibility in signing him and to be fair it's well over his true market-value.

With this title, I have to give reference to Revidge's wee signature....

'Buy 1st division players, then end up with 1st division football'!

This is partially true, but there are only a few players in the lower leagues who would be fit for a step-up to the Premiership. The vast majority of these players would be coming from basically the likes of Birmingham, Southampton, Preston and Stoke. Other than that we should be aiming a wee bit higher or indeed ensuring the right players enter our youth academy!

He's a fantastic talent. I've been monitoring his progress over the past two seasons and he'll cut himself a decent trade in the Premership. However, he won't be allowed to leave for less than £8million. With this tag, there is no possibility in signing him and to be fair it's well over his true market-value.

With this title, I have to give reference to Revidge's wee signature....

'Buy 1st division players, then end up with 1st division football'!

This is partially true, but there are only a few players in the lower leagues who would be fit for a step-up to the Premiership. The vast majority of these players would be coming from basically the likes of Birmingham, Southampton, Preston and Stoke. Other than that we should be aiming a wee bit higher or indeed ensuring the right players enter our youth academy!

Not so sure about him being a "fantastic talent".

That's a bold statement Rovergroo.

Plus, if we get the right youngsters into the academy, we wouldn't need an academy. The old youth team, at a tenth of the cost would do. :P

Archived