BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] F.a. Cup Semi Finals

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I hope it is at Villa Park because it will be embarrasing attendance-wise if we are at Old Trafford. We cant even sell out at Ewood, never mind take 35,000 to Manchester.

Yup, I would agree with that.

What about Hillsborough?A c. 40k stadiums that was used for semis in the past and geographically located inbetween us, Middlesborough and London. Or is the fact that Wednesday play in the championship rule them out?

Yup, I would agree with that.

What about Hillsborough?A c. 40k stadiums that was used for semis in the past and geographically located inbetween us, Middlesborough and London. Or is the fact that Wednesday play in the championship rule them out?

Don't quote me on this but I'm sure have they have not used it since the Liverpool V Forest tragedy.

Positive they said they would not use again for FA Cup Semi but could be mistaken

Woohoo can now go whenever and wherever it is (assuming i get a ticket). Was supposed to be going to one of my girlfriends mates weddings on the saturday but managed to get:-

"Well, I'd rather you came - but go if you must"

I'm gonna suffer but its worth it!!

:tu:

Don't quote me on this but I'm sure have they have not used it since the Liverpool V Forest tragedy.

Positive they said they would not use again for FA Cup Semi but could be mistaken

According to Wikipedia they used Hillsborough in 1992 and 1997, so that cannot be the reason.

Looking at the records the vast majority of the semis in the last ten years have been at Villa Park and Old Trafford with both at Wembley in 2000.

Wiki- Semi Finals

Why did we play our semis in Cardiff in 2005 but the 2006 semis went back to Villa Park and OT? I was in America at the time and as we had been knocked out sort of switched off.

Woohoo can now go whenever and wherever it is (assuming i get a ticket). Was supposed to be going to one of my girlfriends mates weddings on the saturday but managed to get:-

"Well, I'd rather you came - but go if you must"

I'm gonna suffer but its worth it!!

:tu:

My brother in laws wedding on the 14th. I got the same from the wife as well.

well if it is London, it'll be a disgrace.

Why not play both at Villa Park. The pitch should be able to cope with it

I doubt the coppers would go for that. 2 massive games at Villa Park, plus Big Club if they're at home (though half the time they seem to kick off at the crack of dawn). I'd prefer Villa Park, mind.

According to Wikipedia they used Hillsborough in 1992 and 1997, so that cannot be the reason.

Looking at the records the vast majority of the semis in the last ten years have been at Villa Park and Old Trafford with both at Wembley in 2000.

Wiki- Semi Finals

Why did we play our semis in Cardiff in 2005 but the 2006 semis went back to Villa Park and OT? I was in America at the time and as we had been knocked out sort of switched off.

Cheers Joey said I wasn't sure.

As for our Semi - seem to think it was supposed to be the last time the Stadium was supposed to be being used along with the Final ie Wemberley was supoposed to be ready - and the FA had a 'deal' with the Millenium to use it.

Don't know if you remember but there was a a big issue made of it especially on here and with MU's- IMUSA.

Cheers Joey said I wasn't sure.

As for our Semi - seem to think it was supposed to be the last time the Stadium was supposed to be being used along with the Final ie Wemberley was supoposed to be ready - and the FA had a 'deal' with the Millenium to use it.

Don't know if you remember but there was a a big issue made of it especially on here and with MU's- IMUSA.

Right you are!

Incidentally I am aginst this semi at Wembley thing. It can only really devalue the feeling of the final and it is hardly like England lack large venues round the country to play it on neutral soil.

Its a shame as well because there are probably only about 10 clubs in the country (and that is generous) who would be able to fill the allocation at Wembley for a semi final. They should be flexible about it as there are going to be fixtures like West Ham- Boro (2006), Millwall-Sunderland (2004), Southampton-Watford (2003) and out own Arsenal-Rovers (2005) to use recent examples which don't really have the chance of filling out such a massive stadium outside of the actual final. Its a decision predicated on the fact that only massive clubs will get to this stage which is clearly not the case even in recent history, or even this year (ourselves and Watford).

I'd be surprised if we couldn't take 30,000 to Old Trafford. Saying we can't sell out Ewood so why would sell out OT is daft. It's a cup semi and hopefully would get people excited I know I am. I actually wouldn't mind Arsenal as it's miles easier logisically than Cardiff but I fear we would struggle to take big numbers down there.

I would love to share your optimism mb but I think there has been a sea-change in the local public's attitude to Rovers and football in general. People have lost the passion and are out of the habit of going to games due to being priced out of the ground through the last decade. The days of 30,000+ going to Wembley for The Full Members/Play Offs are gone and I doubt we'd shift 30,000 tickets if the semi was at Ewood.

Don't quite agree on this one.

If the Semi was at OT then (given that it is a lot closer than Cardiff) we would take 30,000. Ticket pricing is always a factor but travel time and convenience counts for more, particularly for younger fans. If the Semi was at Ewood, on the same basis, I think we would expect at least 30,000 - more if Rovers lower ticket price policy applied.

Right you are!

Incidentally I am aginst this semi at Wembley thing. It can only really devalue the feeling of the final and it is hardly like England lack large venues round the country to play it on neutral soil.

Same here -a s per above per our Semi against Arsenal I mailed the FA at the time re the decision and also going forward ie with the new Wembley.

Which is why IF and it would appear to be a big IF .. they are at Cardiff I will not be going.

Archived