BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Very Real Threat

I really dont think this will happen because:-

1. I think Mourinho will stay. He has said all along he will. None of the backroom staff has said he will be out and only the press has said he will leave - And we know how they like to write their own stories.

2. Although it pains me to say, I really think Hughes will be off to United once Fergie leaves.

3. If Hughes did go, you watch Mark Bowen step up to the plate - you'll see.

If Hughes goes anywhere (and I cant see this happenning for another 2 seasons) he will probably take all of his backroom staff with him. They are all a team in their own right and very unlikely that Hughes would want to work for a dictating Russian criminal anyway. Pure paper talk to fill a few column inches this one!

:rover: very plausable,good to see our manager linked with the top teams.i think old trafford would be his 1st choice,but i did read he really enjoyed his time at the bridge.i have always said a managers life is 3-4 seasons,intresting. :brfc:

Interesting article especially as it is the Guardian who do not really go in for baseless speculation. It would be a massive change of direction for Abramovich though- he has consistently gone for the proven best in every department- whether that be players, managers or back room staff - Hughes would represent a risk.

However you would have to say that outside the big four the top managers have been Allerdyce, Moyes, Hughes and Jol over the last couple of seasons. Jol's moderate achievements have been tempered by huge spending, whilst Allerdyce and Moyes play defensive football which probably wouldn't suit the Russian. Hughes I suppose is the only really viable choice domestically.

Nonetheless it is hard to believe that Roman won't look to a big name foreign manager should Mourinho leave. It would be so out of keeping to appoint someone with no big club experience.

As for appointing Bowen- in the wake of Kidd will the board be a bit shy of appointing someone who is a number 2 by trade?

Nonetheless it is hard to believe that Roman won't look to a big name foreign manager should Mourinho leave. It would be so out of keeping to appoint someone with no big club experience.

Maybe he will be thinking twice about getting a big name in if he is stopping the crazy spending. Bring in someone like Lippi or Rikjard, I suspect they want something to spend. Hughes has already proven what he can do with a limited budget and what sort of players he can unearth. May be a perfect fit.

So long as the club received the right compensation (cant see there being a problem there!) I dont think there's a cat in hells chance we could do anything about it to be honest.

I'll believe it if/when it happens though.

Amazing how two close games against Utd and Chelsea can provide the ideal opportunity for the papers to unsettle our little club.......they really dont like us do they!

As for appointing Bowen- in the wake of Kidd will the board be a bit shy of appointing someone who is a number 2 by trade?

And Harford, of course (RIP)

Speaking of compensation, SG, I remember when Hughes signed on in the summer wishing we had tied him to a longer deal than that. A big club is bound to buy him out sooner or later, we might as well maximise our compensation.

I don't think Hughes is the high profile manager that Chelsea will look to. I just don't believe this whole "British set-up" stuff - it just doesn't sound like Abramovich at all.

If Hughes were to go, and I think he'll actually go elsewhere before United take him on, I reckon we'll look to Henning Berg.

Like stepping on a dog turd in your bare feet. :brfc:

Still warm or gone cold?

We will lose Hughesy sooner or later, no doubt. Another two seasons tops. I too feel this is some media mongering. Perhaps Roman figures Sparky will let his lot win if he has a job offer on the end of it.

At the risk of being proved wrong I really can't see Hughes as Chelsea boss.

Abramovich has the choice of (just about) every manager in the world. Whilst Hughes is fantastic in our eyes he is still to win a trophy and prove he can manage at club level for a prolonged period of time.

I would be very suprised if Hughes comes anywhere near Chelsea's shortlist to replace Jose at this momnet in time.

I'm with the doubters as well, I'm not sure the Hughes style of football would go down well with the big clubs.

I'm not sure about that, he has built a very attacking team here - just look at our two first choice full backs! Indeed our only defensively minded outfield player beyond the back two is Mokoena who probably wouldn't start if everybody was fit. Even Savage is someone who is always looking to go forward.

If anything the tactics are quite United-esque in their positivity. Hughes has repeatedly refused to change to 451 when it seemed a likely choice and has little quarms, like Ferguson, of playing wingers in central midfiled when neccessary!

Clearly he is setting out his stall as a predominantly offensive manager unlike most of his other successful contempories like Moyes and Allerdyce. When it alll falls into place we could be a very exciting team to watch.

I do agree that the disciplinary record is pretty shocking though. It needs addressing both from our point of view and Hughes' hopes for his future.

I have been thinking about this quite a lot and I think if we are luckier with injuries next season, we could have a really really good season.

hughes is building something special and i dont think he is going anywhere just yet

Archived