BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Pompeys New Stadium

Tris

Its a nightmare location travelwise though, not to mention its horrific appearance.

However, its better than the rent a kit stadiums popping up everywhere else.

Where would you prefer it to be? Birmingham? ;)

It's surely got to be a huge step forward from the recent bog standard bowls built in the middle of industrial estates. (Emirates excepted imo)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love Portsmouth (the city, not the team) and I like the idea of this stadium. I just hope it doesn't turn out to be a disaster along the lines of the Tricorn - the state of the art shopping centre that looked good on paper and turned out to be a big mistake. bugal.jpg

I think bluebruce could have a point about it looking better than it will actually be as my previous point!

Only worry I would have is the approach particularly for the disabled and those who cannot walk far as there are limited parking spaces, and I would expect that to have been considered. Still, we'll probably only be visiting it once a season, we can cope with that!

Love Tris's point :lol: They could always stick engines on it and use it as a ferry........

Its a nightmare location travelwise though

Looking at the second picture (can't copy the link unfortunately), it's hard to imagine being able to get a stadium closer to a mainline railway station than that!!

And it's right next to Portsmouth Interchange bus station (a new version of which is included in the stadium plans), and a ferry terminal? What more do you want - a helipad and runway?!

On BBC Breakfast news this morning, they said it's projected that 20% of visitors to the stadium will arrive by water.

When they said 'on the docks', i didnt think it would literally mean that the away end is standing on water! :rover:

Looks superb and at least its a different design to that saints/lcfc etc grounds that all look and sound the same. Still its a long way in the future, they havent got plannin permission for that or the 1,500 new homes they hope to build with it!

When they said 'on the docks', i didnt think it would literally mean that the away end is standing on water! :rover:

It's standing ON water?!? :blink:

It's the second coming! Pompey's Stadium is our new messiah!!

I love Portsmouth (the city, not the team) and I like the idea of this stadium. I just hope it doesn't turn out to be a disaster along the lines of the Tricorn - the state of the art shopping centre that looked good on paper and turned out to be a big mistake. bugal.jpg

I think bluebruce could have a point about it looking better than it will actually be as my previous point!

Only worry I would have is the approach particularly for the disabled and those who cannot walk far as there are limited parking spaces, and I would expect that to have been considered. Still, we'll probably only be visiting it once a season, we can cope with that!

Love Tris's point :lol: They could always stick engines on it and use it as a ferry........

Roversmum, were do you park, the location looks totally unworkable, what about the visitors to the dockyard on a weekend when,if, pompey are at home to Southampton, doesnt seem a good idea to me unless visitor numbers have dropped off signifcantly since i last visited.

You cant put an extra 30000 plus people down on the hard it would be nightmare i think your link with the tricorn is very apt.

It's absolutely horrible! The second picture - I can't work it out. It looks like it's got a hole in the roof at the far end?

0,,10396~3187184,00.jpg

It just doesnt compliment the area does it, to move the warrior and put a big football ground there defies logic if they go ahead with it i will be amazed.

But then again Pompy is a bit of a toilet anyway !!!

being an ex-sailor, I know Pompy quite well. That area is NOt suitable for a football stadium. There is a decnet shopping avenue/parade adjacent to it full of pubs and restuarants as well as shops etc. On a Saturday, I am certain that the locals would not want 3000 away fans swelling the home crowds in the avenue/plaza or pompy harbour area. It would just be too overcrowded, it is even adjacent to the IOW ferry terminal !

parking would be an absolute nightmare for EVERYONE, the streets are all oneway and there is a massive flat development at Gunwharfe which is getting bigger and bigger evey day.

Me thinks its a hot air proposal that aint be thought through properly.

I do actually like the design of the stadia.

It says in the blurb that the idea is to get everyone there on public transport, apart from players and some facilities for VIPs etc. So I assume they will have to have some sort of park and ride from somewhere ......unless they are issuing wetsuits and flippers to everyone <_<

Looks absolutley 'orrible and about as far away fron what a footy ground should look like.

I agree . I was having a conversation on this subject whilst at Old Trafford and the general conclusion was that the new grounds built recently are pretty awful and predictable .

Take a look at the soulless grounds at Bolton , Middlesbough , Man City , Leicester etc - there's none of them with any distinct character . The Millenium is good but apart from that I'm struggling .

The best grounds are those that have distinct ends , asymetrical - developed over the years . Pompey's proposed new ground just looks like another concrete and steel crisp bowl . Nothing new and fresh , architecturally wise , that I can see .....except that it's floating .. :blink:

I agree . I was having a conversation on this subject whilst at Old Trafford and the general conclusion was that the new grounds built recently are pretty awful and predictable .

Take a look at the soulless grounds at Bolton , Middlesbough , Man City , Leicester etc - there's none of them with any distinct character . The Millenium is good but apart from that I'm struggling .

The best grounds are those that have distinct ends , asymetrical - developed over the years . Pompey's proposed new ground just looks like another concrete and steel crisp bowl . Nothing new and fresh , architecturally wise , that I can see .....except that it's floating .. :blink:

The NEw Wembley is pretty good. As is the Emirates. But I do agree about Bolton, awful stadium.

Archived