BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Spurs V Rovers

I have just returned from a three day event in the North East-involving beer, wine, beer, football, pies and the rare old sight of a bloke `back scuttling` a willing female companion in an alley way in Newcastle town centre on a Sunday night, so forgive me for the lack of lucidity in this abridged version of what I had planned as a preview for this Thusdays match.

Having read a lot of thoughts lately on how we could possible qualify for Europe, or even the Intertoto sneaky way in cup(which, as far as I can see represents the UEFA version of changing the rules as you go along type of thing, you know the one where you play best of three, lose the first two and then say make it best of five etc etc till you acheive the result you wanted all along), I am really not sure what represents a good result in this game. Naturally I want us to win, but I keep seeing people say that we should lose so as to qualify for the Toto trophy. As far as i can see, we go out and beat them, and beat them up big time and let what will be, be.

rovers%20thumb.jpg

The Final Countdown back to Europe?

There is of course, a recent precedent. A mere 4 years ago, nearly to the day we went down to London needing a win at White Hart Lane and hope that Everton would lose to United (which they did last week in a similar fashion by the way). I went that Sunday in 2003, for the only time since I was a kid on the official travel coach. It was a great, great day, a four goal bashing was handed out with probably Souness finest team playing at their peak for us. Duff, Cole, Yorke and err Hignett were on the scoresheet and I remember the home fans throwing their season tickets onto the pitch in protest at the poor performance of Spurs, which was a little bit hollow as it was of course the last match of the season.

LET Report here

Tottenham, in my opinion are a pretty decent side this season. The obvious problems for Rovers are Berbatov, Keane, Lennon and Macartney. I made the last one up of course. Loads of pace, superb finishing, good keeper-and an astute, if a little scarey manager in Jol.

We have been playing well of late, goals are flowing and I am amazed how fit the team looks after a pretty heavy season. I do also believe in tradition, and our form in London this season has been shocking. Losses at Arsenal, Chelsea, West Ham, Charlton and Watford (I know not really London but their all the same these southern towns) (and why let geography spoil a perfectly valid point) and personally I cannot see us getting anything more than a scabby point.

But who knows? A point may be the exact result we need for our European qualification conundrum.

Seriously, who does actually know?

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice preview. Let's hope Charlton beat them tonight to give a) us an added incentive and B) keep the pressure on West Ham.

BTW, if "back scuttling" is indeed what I think it is, then how on earth were you close enough to know?!? :unsure:

I have just returned from a three day event in the North East-involving beer, wine, beer, football, pies and the rare old sight of a bloke `back scuttling` a willing female companion in an alley way in Newcastle town centre on a Sunday night, so forgive me for the lack of lucidity in this abridged version of what I had planned as a preview for this Thusdays match.
Haha, how was the Bigg Market ;)

I have to say I don't really fancy our chances in this one. Spurs are in good scoring form at the moment and have a strong record at home against teams outside the top four. Its the sort of game where we need to out fight them and retain the ball, so I really wish we had Savage and Reid available.

The team picks itself apart from the whether Tugay or Dunn will partner Mokoena. I would go for Dunn as he can sort of do the Savage thing and put in some tackles. Toogs and the Axe seem to get in each others way a bit.

We need a win for Europe but its a tall order.

What is nice is the prospect of seeing two reasonably evenly matched teams in a game which is almost like a mini-cup final this close to the end of the season.

edit- just realised they are playing tonight which only gives them two days rest to our game. Could be a big factor, especially as CHarlton are fighting for their lives.

A must win game for Rovers, thats for sure if we are to have any hope of direct qualification for Europe.

Just watched the spuds versus a very dormant Charlton team, although they are compact and both keane and berbatov are dangerous, Rovers have been given the incentive of a win at WHL. Believe it or not, from my armchair, I am sure that Spuds have just given Mark hughes and co great encouragement at how to get at them. Down the right flank is the route to victory in North London. That is where they are most vulnerable. As long as Rovers can keep the midfield tight I can see a Rovers win, we certainly deserve it after last seasons magnificent game when Rovers deserved something from a marvellous game of football.

Everyone expects a Spuds win, its in London where historically Rovers dont perform. I see a Rovers result in a 1-0 win.

Benni is the man :brfc:

A must win game for Rovers, thats for sure if we are to have any hope of direct qualification for Europe.

Just watched the spuds versus a very dormant Charlton team, although they are compact and both keane and berbatov are dangerous, Rovers have been given the incentive of a win at WHL. Believe it or not, from my armchair, I am sure that Spuds have just given Mark hughes and co great encouragement at how to get at them. Down the right flank is the route to victory in North London. That is where they are most vulnerable. As long as Rovers can keep the midfield tight I can see a Rovers win, we certainly deserve it after last seasons magnificent game when Rovers deserved something from a marvellous game of football.

Everyone expects a Spuds win, its in London where historically Rovers dont perform. I see a Rovers result in a 1-0 win.

Benni is the man :brfc:

Berbatov as been a sensation,he's the man we have to keep quiet on Thursday evening.

I'm quite impressed with Spurs, they are playing some very entertaining football this season, but so are the Rovers.

I think this game could be an humdinger.

Commiserations to Charlton though.

Should be an absolutely cracking game and a treat for the 1,000th Prem live TV match - provided Sparky has got the players fully motivated.

Reckon we deserve a win with some good breaks going our way but it will probably be a 2-2 draw and not much use to eother side.

A must-win if Sunday's outcome is to remain reasonably within our control. I really do not want to rely on the trotters beating Villa as I cannot seeing happening. Comments today that the Bolton squad will stay at the breezeblok IF they qualify for the UEFA only confirm my belief that they will do their best to blow it. Pompey losing at home to Arsenal is a big ask as well.

1. Spurs always give us trouble. Keane ALWAYS scores against us. Little fat buckethead.

2. London is not our place

3. We can play almost perfect, and still lose due to strange referee decisions (remember the 3-2 last year, R. Keane handball for sure, throw-in that led to the goal that wasn't a throw-in)

4. We've never ever won a night away-game.

Time to change all these stereotypes:

Tottenham - 1 ('44, R. Keane)

Blackburn - 1 ('68, Roberts)

Not enough to get us into Europe though :(

1. Spurs always give us trouble. Keane ALWAYS scores against us. Little fat buckethead.

3. We can play almost perfect, and still lose due to strange referee decisions (remember the 3-2 last year, R. Keane handball for sure, throw-in that led to the goal that wasn't a throw-in)

4. We've never ever won a night away-game.Time to change all these stereotypes:

Have you just come down with the last shower Morten? :) We certainly have won many night away games over the years, far too many to list here even if I could remember them all. As a sample that knocks down your numbers 2 & 4 in one go:

Fulham v Rovers about 4 years ago. Rovers scored 4; one from the Turkish guy we had on loan and whose name escapes me, and another from Amoruso with a fantastic header, cant remember our other scorer's but pretty sure one was Cole. This was a night match at Craven Cottage.

It's a good thing Lennon is in the worst form since joining Tottenham, he was appalling against Charlton too. I believe Tottenham have a psychological advantage over us, and they are a good team. It would be awesome if we can get three points from this game, though I do fancy Berbatov and Keane getting on the score sheet.

Let us hope for a cracker and three points.

Rovers scored 4; one from the Turkish guy we had on loan and whose name escapes me, and another from Amoruso with a fantastic header, cant remember our other scorer's but pretty sure one was Cole. This was a night match at Craven Cottage.

Hakan Suker. I was there- what a performance!

It was at Loftus Road. I think Suker scored two (the only two he got while at Rovers), Dunn got a penalty and maybe Duff scored too?

Amoruso's free kick was the following season (At the cottage), as was Cole's goal which was a sensational strike off a Tugay through ball from he left side. Douglas scored an excellent volley as well! CHeck this link out, complete with commedy commentary: You tube

Fulham has been a happy place for us in recent years.

There is a pub near Northumberland Park train station, which I think is called the park. To get there you need to change at Tottenham Hale however I am sure a cab from Seven Sisters will be cheap enough.

Hebergebeghbeggebhhebggehhhbggbbherbgehhehh, do you have my number?

Hakan Suker. I was there- what a performance!

It was at Loftus Road. I think Suker scored two (the only two he got while at Rovers), Dunn got a penalty and maybe Duff scored too?

Amoruso's free kick was the following season (At the cottage), as was Cole's goal which was a sensational strike off a Tugay through ball from he left side. Douglas scored an excellent volley as well! CHeck this link out, complete with commedy commentary: You tube

Fulham has been a happy place for us in recent years.

The 4-3 game was a Loftus Road too - our 4th was a good strike from just outside the area from Jon Stead. Sometimes featured on Premiership Classics on ESPN Classic (Channel 442 - Sky Digital) - we actually feature on that show quite a lot!

Fife, we won two night matches in a row at Fulham in consecutive seasons. 4-0 then 4-3.

Anyway, I predict Spurs 1-1 Rovers.

Have I got the two mixed up into one? Oh well! I tried. ;)

4. We've never ever won a night away-game.

Time to change all these stereotypes:

1. Agreed. He has been a thorn in our side for a while

2. Also agree. It's become a jinxed place for us recently (which is annoying since I mostly go to London games :()

3. Agree. Very annoying that decision was. The recent Fulham game had its fair share of rubbish decisions too (hand ball in the box missed by absolutely everyone who wasn't sitting in the away end)

4. Disagree! 4-3 against Fulham has already been mentioned (it's on the 'I'm in heaven' section) but also (the team formally known as) Wimbledon October 2000 two nil away win on a Tuesday night. It was the start of the run that saw us promoted from Div 1. I know it was a while ago, but you did say we never ever win ;)

The 4-3 game was a Loftus Road too - our 4th was a good strike from just outside the area from Jon Stead. Sometimes featured on Premiership Classics on ESPN Classic (Channel 442 - Sky Digital) - we actually feature on that show quite a lot!

My mistake! What a couple of games they were.

Archived