BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Summer Transfer Window

has the summer window been a success for rovers?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Have your say on the summer transfer window.

• Should have had more cash to spend. Almost everyone else did.
    • money badly used.
    • As much as I expected.
    • Quite good business.
    • Excellent business
    • Doesn't get any better.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Remember Eidur Gudjohnssen? If no Bellamy, or Benni does one then maybe we could go back and have a do at Eidur?

That's a great shout. We should definately go back in for him. Saying that, I think we'll either be priced out of a move again, or be beaten to him by a more "attractive" club.

I wonder if Newcastle would be willing to listen to offers for Duff? I would be happy if the following happened - Liverpool buy Pedersen for 8m plus Bellamy. We buy Duff for £12m (ish?) - keep McCarthy.

If we kicked off next season with an attacking force of Duff, Bentley, McCarthy and Bellamy I think I would quite possibly wet myself.

Of course, Allardyce might see Duff as an integral part of his plans. Let's hope he thinks otherwise.

£12 million for Duff is insane. At his peak he was worth double that, but now I don't think he's worth the £5 million that Newcastle paid for him. Let's not forget he's also out for six months as well.

I really would have mixed feelings about having Duff back at Ewood park, the same Duff that jumped at the chance to move and who kissed the Chelsea badge and then took part in an elaborate celebration in front of our fans at Ewood? I wonder if he would kiss the Roversa badge if he came back?

£12 million for Duff is insane. At his peak he was worth double that, but now I don't think he's worth the £5 million that Newcastle paid for him. Let's not forget he's also out for six months as well.

I just plucked a figure out of the air, but I was taking the TV money into account. Duff is still a quality player - and I honestly believe he is a better player than Pedersen.

I also think £8m plus Bellamy from Liverpool wouldn't be an unreasonable request. Some valuations of The Ped have been touted at around the £15m mark so I think the previously mentioned fee plus player deal seems close enough.

I really would have mixed feelings about having Duff back at Ewood park, the same Duff that jumped at the chance to move and who kissed the Chelsea badge and then took part in an elaborate celebration in front of our fans at Ewood? I wonder if he would kiss the Roversa badge if he came back?

FFS, don't people realise that EVERYTHING that players have done for the past ten years or so has been completely fake? From kissing the badge to signing new contracts, and from stating there is no release clause to declaring undying love for the club. It's all a load of shyte. The game has evolved from being a game of love that was run by an element of business, to a business that was influenced by an element of love, and then finally to where we are now - simply a business.

We should be signing player on the criteria that they are good enough and value for money only - there are very few players out there that would actually love to play for our club.

Sad but true, and people need to wake up.

Just read the last two pages and I believe a reality check is in order:

Craig Bellamy - not the sort of guy who freely admits to making a mistake, which returning to Rovers would entail.

Eidur Gudjohnson - has been waxing lyrical to pal Frank Lampard about the quality of life at Barcelona. Will not (it is safe to say) swap that for Rovers.

Damien Duff - may be more open to a Rovers return but will be on huge money at Newcastle (remember Sven's fake sheikh revelations about Shepherd's profligacy when it comes to 'star' signings?) and that will be an insurmountable obstacle.

Liverpool could never expect in a million years to get 12million for Bellamy :lol: had to laugh at that reported figure and pick myself off the floor.

Duff is probably worth no more than 4million with his injury problems, added to the fact he is out for 6 months and this only serves to lessen his value even more.

Gudjohnsen is a non starter, why would he leave Barca at the moment ? They still offer a far better attraction even if he does warm the bench.

But does Bellamy want to go to either of them? Players really do have a huge say in what goes on nowadays. I'm not saying he wants to come to us, but just that gone are the days when the manager could call you in and tell you he'd sold you to x or y and you had no choice in it.

He knows, and we know, if he comes back, there will be no boos

Certainly won't be...standing ovation I should expect.

On Gudjohnsen...the Daily Star seems to think Sunderland are trying to sign him. If they've got a shot, we certainly have.

But does Bellamy want to go to either of them? Players really do have a huge say in what goes on nowadays. I'm not saying he wants to come to us, but just that gone are the days when the manager could call you in and tell you he'd sold you to x or y and you had no choice in it.

If Egg and Curbishley were able to trick Lucas into signing I'm sure they'll have no problem with Bellamy either. They'll throw some big names and £80k/w salary at him and off he goes.

Even thou Bellamy hasn't done much to double his value in this season at Anfield, the bottomless pockets of Egg and Lerner mean that each signing they'll make will be overpriced either in transfer fee- or atleast salarywise.

Unfortunately the new cash in PL probably means that we need to find our own targets that any of the big four, Spurs, Villa, West Ham or Magpies are not after. That said it's hard to imagine we'll be signing any of the names being constantly mentioned in the 'press': more likely our signings will be players that are 'under the radar' to everyone else than Hughes and his staff.

If Egg and Curbishley were able to trick Lucas into signing I'm sure they'll have no problem with Bellamy either. They'll throw some big names and £80k/w salary at him and off he goes.

Err...Bellamy turned down £60,000 a week with us to try his chance at a higher level with Liverpool, on a lower contract. That's almost the exact opposite to what Lucas did. Bellamy has many flaws in his personality but I do think he'll make his next moved based on football rather than money, which is probably why he'll end up at Villa Park with Martin O'Neill (he and Carew would make an excellent pairing).

It is being reported that Derby are likely to top Ipswich's offer for Jeffers if they get promoted on Monday. Looks like it could be quite lucrative for Rovers if the Rams get promoted as no doubt some clause in the McEveley transfer will get triggered as well.

The Beattie link in the pinned section speculates that the Nonda transfer is not a done deal which is obviously the case as the club has not yet moved to close out the transfer. I wonder if Beattie is being looked at as a Nonda replacement?

Beats would bring greater physical presence and miss as many sitters but Nonda did get those 8 goals last season which is better than Beats' haul. I guess it comes down to whether Hughes can get Beattie to buckle down.

Elsewhere, there is speculation that Bellamy would be a make weight in a Liverpool move for Tevez. Doesn't seem to be in bellamy's character to play that game.

Another thing to think about.

For the whole of January and half of Feb next year, we will be without the current core of our team, with the African Cup of Nations. This is taking into account that we still have Benni at that stage.

This is why we must look further ahead now and buy a couple of other players, possibly on loan, just to get the cover for this time.

I would love to see Bellamy, Jagielka and Barnes (seems to have been a little bit of speculation). Plus a couple of loanees or cheapo squad players.

I apologise if this has already been mentioned!

Err...Bellamy turned down £60,000 a week with us to try his chance at a higher level with Liverpool, on a lower contract. That's almost the exact opposite to what Lucas did. Bellamy has many flaws in his personality but I do think he'll make his next moved based on football rather than money, which is probably why he'll end up at Villa Park with Martin O'Neill (he and Carew would make an excellent pairing).

At that point he was the number 1 striker at Liverpool, so it was a no-brainer. If Liverpool would've said to Lucas that he would be a definate starter, I'm sure he would have gone to Anfield too despite the smaller contract.

I can't see that much difference between Villas and Hammers' squad, so footballing-wise it's a 50/50 choice, but somehow I think Hammers are more desperate to sign him than Villa, hence the comment :)

I could see Bellamy going to West Ham, with Tevez going the other way - would maybe suit both clubs well.

With Viduka looking like he is off to West Ham, they are going to be looking a lot better next year.

I would pay upto £12 million for Bellamy as he is pure quality. Of course, this would be paying double what we sold him for, but the clause should have never been so ridiculously low in the first place.

I never felt satisfied last summer with our signings (we had to rely on bringing in quality recruits in January), so I hope we do not go through another summer of false hope.

Reo-coker has handed in a transfer request.

a: He is going to be very expensive

b: We are well stocked in central midfield.

BUT: He would undoubtably be a brilliant signing...I could see Hughes having a look. More likely to end up at Tottenham to sit on their bench though.

I am not completely convinced our central midfield. Obviously there are no question marks over Pedersen/Bentley.

However, will Reid come back the player he was (especially as he was just coming to terms with his central midfield role anyway), how much influence can Tugay have, especially as he faded badly in 2007, can Savage still display the same energy levels, will Dunny start to show the attacking prowess of the past, is the axe good enough?

It is being reported that Derby are likely to top Ipswich's offer for Jeffers if they get promoted on Monday. Looks like it could be quite lucrative for Rovers if the Rams get promoted as no doubt some clause in the McEveley transfer will get triggered as well.

I think the transfer fee was for £600,000 which could rise to £1million IIRC. Presumably the triggers would be promotion, number of games played (understandable with his history of injuries), perhaps gaining an international cap or all three. Will be interesting to see if Derby are promoted how much we will get from it. A good reason to support them tomorrow.

FFS, don't people realise that EVERYTHING that players have done for the past ten years or so has been completely fake? From kissing the badge to signing new contracts, and from stating there is no release clause to declaring undying love for the club. It's all a load of shyte. The game has evolved from being a game of love that was run by an element of business, to a business that was influenced by an element of love, and then finally to where we are now - simply a business.

We should be signing player on the criteria that they are good enough and value for money only - there are very few players out there that would actually love to play for our club.

Sad but true, and people need to wake up.

You don't seem to have understood my point at all. I don't expect players to love Rovers and I respect entirely Bellamy and Neill's decisions to leave the club. However, I don't expect a player that we adored and treated very well, even after he jumped at the chance to leave, to behave in such a disrespectful manner. I don't, for a second, think his kissing the Chelsea badge meant anything whatsoever - he's already left to join Newcastle - but it meant a hell of a lot doing it in front of the fans that cheered him on week in, week out and treated like a hero. His ridiculously over-the-top celebrations were a disgrace.

You don't seem to have understood my point at all. I don't expect players to love Rovers and I respect entirely Bellamy and Neill's decisions to leave the club. However, I don't expect a player that we adored and treated very well, even after he jumped at the chance to leave, to behave in such a disrespectful manner. I don't, for a second, think his kissing the Chelsea badge meant anything whatsoever - he's already left to join Newcastle - but it meant a hell of a lot doing it in front of the fans that cheered him on week in, week out and treated like a hero. His ridiculously over-the-top celebrations were a disgrace.

A disgrace? Nah.

Just part of the game these days. Yes it can make you sick whilst it is happening, but I personally loved it when Savage went wild after scoring against Brum! Duff doesn't owe us anything - he made us a fortune and gave us some cracking performances, and we provided him with a platform to build his career upon.

Shearer has 'rubbed it in' numerous times after scoring but we all know that he respects the club and that it was just a bit of a laugh.

Don't take it so seriously - it's only football :tu:

Reo-coker has handed in a transfer request.

a: He is going to be very expensive

b: We are well stocked in central midfield.

BUT: He would undoubtably be a brilliant signing...I could see Hughes having a look. More likely to end up at Tottenham to sit on their bench though.

I don't agree - he contributed to the downfall of West Ham by thinking he was better than he was - Capt Smug's (Pardew) right-hand man. Then he sulked, and didn't really fancy it when the going got tough. Billy big-shot if you ask me without the record to back it up...

Archived