BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Summer Transfer Window

has the summer window been a success for rovers?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Have your say on the summer transfer window.

• Should have had more cash to spend. Almost everyone else did.
    • money badly used.
    • As much as I expected.
    • Quite good business.
    • Excellent business
    • Doesn't get any better.

You like man boobs then Roversmum? Viduka would probably be slighly better than Nonda, but I feel that if we are to challenge for Europe we'd need to look for a higher calibre of player.

2 goals behind benni

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A few points on some of these posts.

1. Even mentioning Earnshaw is a backward step - overrated and out of his depth in the prem.

2. Needing a so called proper right back when Emerton has been outstanding all season and Oojer can also play there

3. Getting rid of Enks claiming he's cr*p - has he ever actually played for us?

4. Lower league players like Eastwood and that guy from Scunthorpe, Sharp? Dangerous ground signing these type of players who are totally unproven.

5. Koumas - great ability but far too slow for the prem and this has already been proven with WBA.

None of the above would improve on what we already have.

Numbered your points for easier reply :)

1. Agree totally. If he was worth it, Hughes would have signed him already. That Welsh connection again!

2. Ahhhh, this is where we disagree, and here's why. All my own opinion, of course, feel free to disagree (I'd be disappointed if you didn't!)

Bert Mk II has been excellent, no doubt, but defensively he's a little suspect. Ooijer's pace would be a real problem there, and with the broken leg this season, well it's not going to improve his pace. The usual result of this is the move into the centre, where good positioning alleviates the problem. He'd be horribly exposed if we needed him to spend an extended time at RB, due to injury, for instance. So I'd like to see a young promising defensive RB signed who can learn from both Brett and Andre, and step in if needed. That's all I'm saying!

3. Poor Peter, I think I saw him play once... but seriously, our only hope was to get young keepers who are happy to learn. Brad was the best keeper in the premiership this season. He has more to do than top keepers like Cech and van der Sar showed that under pressure, he's not as good. Even Andy Gray (not known for his pro-Rovers comments) mentioned it in the Semi-Final coverage.

4. I've no objection to signing players from a lower league - for a reasonable price and on the assumption that they're not first-team starters. Not everyone comes through the academy systems of the Premiership, after all, and clubs like Crewe are known for their ability to find good players.

5. Koumas is waaaay to slow. Tricky one for me, midfield. I mean, Reidy, is he better defensively or attacking? Will Dunn be the playmaker to replace Tugay's tiring legs? Are players like Pienaar (who was mentioned last summer) available, or even desireable? I think that Reidy is better in that Savage role than Savage himself, especially if he works on his shooting. The man's got a cannon in his right boot. Aaron played well in the latter half of the season, but his discipline is suspect, and personally, DM is an area that nags at me, I reckon we can do better there.

Other positions, maybe Camara is up for sale? Haven't heard about him for a while, but he certainly has the ability! Might just have had enough of Wigan after last season and he wouldn't have to move far.... worth a punt, I reckon.

What kind of transfer funds are we thinking? I head on SSN that we had somewhere in the region of £20 million to spend, but Sparky'll just spend the change from the back of the sofa and two used teabags anyway :)

Earnshaw scored an incredible amount of goals this season for Norwich. In his absence through injury, Norwich plummeted down the table. I've always liked Earnshaw, and think he would have been excellent for us over the last few seasons.

However, I don't think he is the man to improve our current first team. He'd be a great third choice striker, but he would cost a fair amount and it wouldn't be worth it IMO.

For the record, I really don't think we should look to buy Nonda and Hughes is mad wanting £1 million for Jeffers.

For the record, I really don't think we should look to buy Nonda and Hughes is mad wanting £1 million for Jeffers.

If he hadn't asked £1m, we wouldn't have already been offered 350K would we?

Bert Mk II has been excellent, no doubt, but defensively he's a little suspect.

I'm not too sure why people think this.

Emerton had a full season at right back and I can't recall him costing us a goal (West Ham penalty maybe). Neill was always nailed-on to make at least a couple of errors per season and no-one said we needed a right back when he was playing there. In fact, I think Emerton's been more reliable defensively than Neill was.

It would appear to be a wind up ! He posted the same thing with Tottenham buying him on their site !

http://boards.footymad.net/mboard/fmb.php?...;mid=2133161480

Cheers for the detective work lads. The post is gone from roversmad today, mysteriously. I was a bit dubious but thought it was worth posting just in case it was a scoop. I've edited the post to warn anyone new to the thread before they leak liquid like Hairway! ;)

Ozzie, please tell me how Spurs getting a left back will preclude them from trying to get our left winger. I don't see it. Maybe you're thinking they don't have enough cash for both (Edit: I've since read that that is exactly what you meant)? I would suspect they do...they clearly don't need any more strikers unless one goes, in fact they seem generally happy with every position in their squad except left wing and left back. They usually have about ten mill or so to blow, so with the new TV cash I'd expect they could mount bids for two top players in those positions. It says the 10 mill for Bale is only 6 mill up front.

Spurs have got plenty of money, don't worry about that.

Spurs fans tell me they are close to making a bid for MGP.

What a great signal it would be if we could keep the best players in our squad this summer, plus adding 2-3 quality players.....

Spurs have got plenty of money, don't worry about that.

Spurs fans tell me they are close to making a bid for MGP.

What a great signal it would be if we could keep the best players in our squad this summer, plus adding 2-3 quality players.....

I sometimes worry that, even if noone goes, the mere uncertainty over whether we will have as good a playing squad next season might be enough to make some players think twice about coming. Thus, I wish these rumours about half our playing squad leaving would well and truly bugger off.

Looks like Spurs resolve as a non-selling club is going to be tested by a Saha plus cash offer for Berbatov. Makes sense to cripple the team looking most likely to disrupt the current big 4.

Should nicely set the price benchmark if anybody is serious about Benni.

Gareth Bale set to sign for Spurs, and join this list of promising / in-form players turned poo once they sign...

Routledge

Davis

Rasiak

El Hamdaoui

Davenport

Murphy

Cerny

Pamarot

Ziegler

Edman

Naybet

Atouba

Reid

Brown

Mabizela

Zamora

Postiga

The Guardian are today linking "bargain" Benni with a move to Arsenal.

Given that Wenger's just released Baptista, and that he seems to have a bit of a penchant for doing things on the cheap, I wouldn't be too surprised if there was actually a bit of truth in this.

Archived