BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Summer Transfer Window

has the summer window been a success for rovers?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Have your say on the summer transfer window.

• Should have had more cash to spend. Almost everyone else did.
    • money badly used.
    • As much as I expected.
    • Quite good business.
    • Excellent business
    • Doesn't get any better.

I know Pedersen has his faults but he is a fantastic player and one that I don't think we can replace. You don't often get the opportunity to attract players of his ability to a small club and when you have one you should hang on to him. Losing him would weaken our side, no argument, and we couldn't bring a left winger in who is as good.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
- NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

?

Gonzalez is a very promisisng young winger, with all the attributes to be top class, pace, dribbling, crossing and is good in the air. He was amongst the top performers in La Liga last sesaon scoring over 10 goals and the likes of madrid & Barca were ater hm. The trouble he has had at L'pool is that Rafa wont play two "out & out wingers" he will play pennant or zenden/Risse instead of a winger.

anyways he is nailed on to sign for Betis so its all irrelavant

The Guardian are today linking "bargain" Benni with a move to Arsenal.

Given that Wenger's just released Baptista, and that he seems to have a bit of a penchant for doing things on the cheap, I wouldn't be too surprised if there was actually a bit of truth in this.

He released baptista?

I think what we can be all certain of is that something is going on with Benni and MGP. And by 'something going on' I mean there is a real interest. There is never this much speculation without there being some substance to it.

If Chelsea and Liverpool want Benni and Pedersen respectively there is nothing we can do, other than hope we are not bullied into a low fee by the players taking a Chimbonda like stance. Such behaviour is only likely from Benni I'd guess. We must keep MGP. Which is hard if Liverpool seriously want him.

Despite Bentley being a show off and believing his own press, I think he knows Blackburn Rovers is the best place for him for another year at least. I'm not even slightly concerned he'll leave.

In terms of incomings. We don't need much quantity wise. I'd take Baird, Barnes and Bellamy. They would be the three that would, in my opinion, see us favourites for 6th spot regardless of who else buys big. It would give us chance to get closer to Spurs and the 'big four'.

However in terms of cost, it would look like Bellamy £8million, Barnes £4-6million and Baird £2-4 million. The question is do we have £16 millionish to spend? Most of the papers would say so and the TV deal certainly means such a spree would be realistic. Also, if Benni leaving means we can buy these three I'd say " Yes please and goodbye."

I know Pedersen has his faults but he is a fantastic player and one that I don't think we can replace. You don't often get the opportunity to attract players of his ability to a small club and when you have one you should hang on to him. Losing him would weaken our side, no argument, and we couldn't bring a left winger in who is as good.

You haven't seen him much, have you? MGP isn't anywhere close to fantastic. On his day he's frustrating but good, when it's not his day he's frustratingly bad.

Bellamy was a fantastic player. Shearer was a fantastic player. MGP isn't ever going to get close to the levels of performance needed to be fantastic. With application he'll be good.

roverich may not have seen him much but I have, and he is right and you are wrong. This season he hasn't been as good as last year but that happens to everyone (have you seen Bellamy recently!?) and he is still far better than any left-sided player in the premiership with the exception of about 4 or 5 who play for the big clubs. He consistently scores goals from midfield and more importantly creates chances and dangerous situations for everybody else. Not to mention the amount of tracking back he does. We'd be a weaker team without him. And as for cashing in it makes me laugh. It's only cashing in if you can get somebody of equal ability for the same or less money.

You haven't seen him much, have you? MGP isn't anywhere close to fantastic. On his day he's frustrating but good, when it's not his day he's frustratingly bad.

Bellamy was a fantastic player. Shearer was a fantastic player. MGP isn't ever going to get close to the levels of performance needed to be fantastic. With application he'll be good.

Thats a harsh assessment. Clearly he is a good player at the moment, not on his way to being a good player. He has made a large contribution to our success both this season and last, and while he had a spate of appalling form around Christmas it was followed by some excellent performances. I agree he is not in the same class as Bellamy but clearly he has lots to offer Rovers.

He is one of the top left wingers in the Premiership, mainly through hard graft to make up for a lack of dribbling skill and pace (I find it strange that you imply he has a poor work ethic as along with Savage, Warnock and Emerton he covers a LOT of ground). Hence why hevery man and his dog seems to want him in.

If the scallies offered say £8-10M+ and Bellamy, I'd be really tempted to sell Pedersen. We have Sergio Peter who is a natural left winger, so if at least if we cannot get a top player for that position, we have someone used to the role. If it was an offer for £8m I'd tell them where to go. Liverpool have loads of £ now, and if they are desperate enough for Pedersen, they have to put some serious money forward. Who knows, Sergio or this Treacy kid might be just as good if given a run in the team.

I am a little surprised at how willing people are to cash in on MGP.

How much money would Rovers need to pay for a hard working left sided midfield player ? Who just happens to be probably one the best free kick takes in the league, his corners go from dire to brilliant (but Beckham was much the same at United) - he scores goals from open play as well. Possibly as important - is that he knows his job in the Rovers team - and is an integral part of the team play (remember some of the inter play between him & McCarthy this year ?). Unfairly people compare him to Duff - and he will never be the same type of winger as Damien - but is no less important to our current team.

Unless he wants to leave, Rovers need to either hold onto him - or wait until the price gets so ridiculous that they couldn't possibly turn it down (I would say £15 - 20m). Personally - Bellamy plus £10m would make me consider letting him go.

But Rovers really need to be building on what they have - rather than looking to trade too many players.

I sincerely believe that, given a bit of luck, one or two high quality signings, Rovers could have their best season for a long time next season - losing key players (like MGP) that are integral to our team play won't help.

I wonder if Newcastle would be willing to listen to offers for Duff? I would be happy if the following happened - Liverpool buy Pedersen for 8m plus Bellamy. We buy Duff for £12m (ish?) - keep McCarthy.

If we kicked off next season with an attacking force of Duff, Bentley, McCarthy and Bellamy I think I would quite possibly wet myself.

Of course, Allardyce might see Duff as an integral part of his plans. Let's hope he thinks otherwise.

?

Gonzalez is a very promisisng young winger, with all the attributes to be top class, pace, dribbling, crossing and is good in the air. He was amongst the top performers in La Liga last sesaon scoring over 10 goals and the likes of madrid & Barca were ater hm. The trouble he has had at L'pool is that Rafa wont play two "out & out wingers" he will play pennant or zenden/Risse instead of a winger.

anyways he is nailed on to sign for Betis so its all irrelavant

I will hold my hands up and say that I had never heard of him before he came to the prem however, every game that I have watched him in for Liverpool he has been awful. He cant seem to control the ball which I think is strange for a footballer.

I wonder if Newcastle would be willing to listen to offers for Duff? I would be happy if the following happened - Liverpool buy Pedersen for 8m plus Bellamy. We buy Duff for £12m (ish?) - keep McCarthy.

If we kicked off next season with an attacking force of Duff, Bentley, McCarthy and Bellamy I think I would quite possibly wet myself.

Of course, Allardyce might see Duff as an integral part of his plans. Let's hope he thinks otherwise.

Damien Duff has had a poor season at Newcastle while Pedersen has had a good season.

Do you really think Liverpool will offer 8 Million and Bellamy? I don't

I was gutted last night after the Liverpool result, it would've been great to see them lift it again, they deserved to be there, they beat Barca who were the holders and Chelsea, so nobody could say the fluked it.

I've always looked out for them and they are kind of my second team.

Mgp worth £8m plus Bellamy?? Duff worth £12m these days??

Can we all return to planet Earth please! :rover:

Newcastle paid 5 Million for Duff and he has only got worse since they got him.

Pedersen is a better player than Duff but is not worth 8 Million more than Bellamy

Archived