BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Summer Transfer Window

has the summer window been a success for rovers?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Have your say on the summer transfer window.

• Should have had more cash to spend. Almost everyone else did.
    • money badly used.
    • As much as I expected.
    • Quite good business.
    • Excellent business
    • Doesn't get any better.

Blackburn and West Ham will do battle for Derby midfielder Giles Barnes.

news of the world

If you look back on my previous reply you will see ive mentioned this lad alot he is surely an amazing talent ive seen him play for derby he is just what we need, he is a centre midfield players likes to attack. scored alot of goals this season aswel as justturning 18 hope we get him.

I will eat my hat if we manage to get him.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest shoppybrfc
I don't think you understood what i meant, yes Tugay is exciting but the type of player i want is like Duff/Ronaldo/Robben, a player who runs at the oppositions defence.

What does Bentley do? Stand still the whole game picking his arse?

I will eat my hat if we manage to get him.

Why? I know they've got a lot of money and are a London club, but we're quite a bit better than West Ham at this moment in time. I dare say we would be better for his development too.

As for that Times article...apart from how ludicrous it is to say Pedersen and Roberts are expected to leave, and how if they did our priority would clearly be to get a new left winger (Besides, if anybody is 'expected' to leave it would be Benni...apart from the fringe players of course), I think the £20 mill figure they're claiming probably takes into account the sale of those two players. Otherwise, I'll be pleasantly surprised if we have that much.

Last week The News of the World said we had £25 million to spend. I think we may have around this figure to spend, but Hughes never really spends for the sake of it.

Interesting to see us linked with Barnes - he certainly is a young talent, but I would expect a few other clubs to go in for him.

I think on our shopping list at the moment is Bellamy, Nonda, Whitaker (Hibs right-back, Rangers recently registered interest in him), Chris Baird, Koumas (pending whether West Brom reach Prem league).

Of course, who knows what we will do. Certainly seems the rumour mill is annoyingly very busy at the moment because so many clubs have more money to spend.

I'll be absolutely astonished if we have £25 million to spend before selling anyone. Maybe the board would stretch to that if Hughesy was adamant on a certain deal, but I doubt even that. 25 million assumes we would have had 15 million to spend before the new TV money. Which is wayyyy above our normal spending post-Jack.

Mate of mine from Sheffield read that we are in for Michael Tonge from the Blades and apparently Everton are favourites to sign Phil Jagielka.

Would be a good signing at the right price I feel but wouldnt really address what we require in the team at the moment which I feel is a right back. Luke Young from Charlton would be the perfect signing for me.

I'd say (assuming we hold onto everyone) that we will have one major signing (a big name striker? - Jan Venegoor of Hessellink has a big name, but I'm not talking about the number of letters in it) and a few squad player signings (Nonda, a midfielder and a right back).

Anyone who thinks we have £20-25mil in the transfer kitty is deluded. We just don't! More importantly, we don't need it. We can't attract £10mil players to the club anyway and there aren't many players within our budget that can improve our side. I'm not being negative about our prospects, I'm saying we have a good squad that doesn't need strengthening. It would be great to see a new midfielder and a new striker come in this summer but Hughes will only buy players capable of improving the side. And on that note, we've got too many players who are better than Claus Jensen so that's out of the question, free or not, he's not worth the wages.

I don't think we should sign a left winger. It'll really smack Peter's confidence and he looks like he could be a good player. Give him his chance if Pedersen gets injured or alternatively rely on Bentley or Emerton to move across.

A new striker has to be the priority. If McCarthy goes, then 2 more!

Apart from that, maybe a left winger to back Pedersen up if injured?

we have a number of players able to play on the left if Pedersen is injured; Peter, Dunn, Berner (apparently), Treacy.

have never seen Treacy play, but from what I've heard he's got potential to be as good as anyone. Apparently he's a real wizard with the ball, so hopefully we'll see him sometime next season.

The Mido saga last summer was gripping...... would really look forward to something similar again.

Unleaded - any gossip we should be aware of at this early stage?

that cheeky Mido guy demanded 10 Rovers shirt with 10 Mido on the back, for his family, as a part of the deal to sign for us.. what an idiot, apparently it was lots of different things the agent tried to get in his contract

The Mido saga last summer was gripping...... would really look forward to something similar again.

I hope not. It sounded like he treated the club like crap and just demanded more and more.

If we sign him he will only come out next season and say 'I wish I had stayed at Spurs'.

that cheeky Mido guy demanded 10 Rovers shirt with 10 Mido on the back, for his family, as a part of the deal to sign for us.. what an idiot, apparently it was lots of different things the agent tried to get in his contract

10 shirts at cost price? What would that be, about £200? Unless I'm missing the point, I hardly think that's going to be a sticking point to any deal.

:unsure:

I may be wrong, but I reckon £300 (letters and numbers included) worth of Rovers shirts isn't a bad signing on fee from our point of view! Doesn't seem too unreasonable a request in the grand scheme of things.

Glutton for punishment mate! That was a nightmare....

Would definitely take Mido though, he's still an excellent player. Any 2 from Mido, Bellamy and Benni would represent a very good top 2.

Archived