BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Nicko's Thread

Well, they managed to find the cash for Shefki.

Impossible to say whether Jason will make it with us, you just can't tell with 'keepers.

The cash offer for Shefki was over a period of time. I think it was to pay £2.5 million over 2 years which was also performance related, so it will be dragged out over a long duration.

Brown has shown his ability in the game he played for Rovers and his consistant good performances at Gillingham. At the age of 25, we know he's very young for a keeper and I think the staff are pleased with him to date.

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We've also got talented keepers coming through the youth, in the form of Zak Jones and Andy Arestidou, so a purchase of another keeper will be out of the question for the time being.

Hmm, I thought the one to watch was Frankie Fielding. But I could be wrong. I'd like Brown to stay. Much rather him than Weaver. Wonder how much longer Brad can go on.. 2, 3 seasons?

Brown has had one game for us, the rest being at Gilligham, hardly enought to suggest he'll be able to step up to the plate consistently in the Premiership. This is notwithstanding that Hughes rates him, or that there is the possibility that he could become our number one. Additionally, I don't see your logic in saying that Palace couldn't afford him ... so what if the money for Kuqi was in phases? Also, I can't see Brown going for that much either.

You never can tell with goalies ... everyone slagged off Souness for signing Friedel when we had Filan, who at that time was playing well.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

Brown has shown his ability in the game he played for Rovers and his consistant good performances at Gillingham. At the age of 25, we know he's very young for a keeper and I think the staff are pleased with him to date.

One massive question mark hanging over Brown is his height. At just 5'11, he's very small for a top flight goalkeeper. There are small keepers who succeed at the top level, but they're all outstanding in other areas. The two smallest Premier League keepers I could think of are Niemi and Given, and they're both 6'1. In both cases they're tremendous shot-stoppers (Given especially) which compensates for their lack of height.

I haven't seen much of Brown so it's difficult to say, but I'd be amazed if he has the qualities to make up for being only 5'11. Also, given that Hughes has brought in Nielsen almost purely based on his physique, being of a decent size must be something he values in a goalkeeper.

Brown has had one game for us, the rest being at Gilligham, hardly enought to suggest he'll be able to step up to the plate consistently in the Premiership. This is notwithstanding that Hughes rates him, or that there is the possibility that he could become our number one.

His consistency with Gillingham shows that he can perform on a regular basis. With regards to the Premiership, he'll be facing quality strikers, but in hindsight he also has a quality backline to back him up and that is something that a lot of people are forgetting what Hughes has done. Nelsen, Ooijer, Warnock and also slotting Emerton in at right-back.

Additionally, I don't see your logic in saying that Palace couldn't afford him ... so what if the money for Kuqi was in phases? Also, I can't see Brown going for that much either.

Palace aren't freely exposed to money and would have quite a few restraints with the purse strings.

Well if I was a company director/owner I would prefer to have the money coming in on a 'biggish product with potential' in a lumpsum and not in stages. If a price is agreed, then cash upfront and no drivel with performances etc etc. I wonder how much we've had for Shefki thus far as we're close to a year on? In fairness this kind of deal isn't too bad with fringe players & also players approcahing or even in their 30's. With regars to Brown reaching that price in the region of £2 million is a fair mark. He was signed on a free (plus signing on fee for player & agent) but with his age, his ability and future as an International would show well in the price.

I've seen him warming up as I always pay a lot of attention to goalkeepers on their exercises and his all-round ability in these fields are up to a high standard. I know you can't really judge this as match scenarios are different, but you are certain if these players have a real genuine quality!

You never can tell with goalies ... everyone slagged off Souness for signing Friedel when we had Filan, who at that time was playing well.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

I know when Souness signed Brad I was far from impressed and openly criticised him for this signing, but boy was I wrong. I never got a chance to see much of Brad as I was still in school when he was on Liverpool's books and listened to everyone elses opinion of him being a Liverpool reject and was lured into a false impression. It was when I was regularly going over to watch Rovers since 2001, then I realised how good this man was.

Goalkeepers I can judge, as I've the ability to judge on them. I've been one myself and I'm quick to spot a flaw in an attribute that they should be carrying.

Bryan, I'm afraid that I'll disagree fullstop, with your overall view with regards to the Jason Brown saga though.

Goalkeepers I can judge, as I've the ability to judge on them. I've been one myself and I'm quick to spot a flaw in an attribute that they should be carrying.

Shame you can't improve on your own then :P

I know what you mean about judging keepers ability and i have to admit i agree with you about when brad signed. At liverpool he was low on confidence and i didn't know what we saw in him that would place him ahead of kelly or filan.

Brown to me seems a talented keeper from the short time i have had to judge him on. Hughes watchs him in training everyday and will be able to make the decision on whether at 25 he will make the grade. Personally i think he could have what it takes, his height may be the only slight issue.

Sky Sports News reporting that we have rejected a £2.5m bid for Roberts from Fulham

Spot on again Nicko, cheers for the info

Answers my question, next question, memory fading, what did we pay for Roberts

Answers my question, next question, memory fading, what did we pay for Roberts

Blackburn have signed Wigan striker Jason Roberts on a four-year deal for an undisclosed fee.

Took this from a bbc website report!! which got me thinking we do alot of these undisclosed deals. Ritgers this week was undisclosed fee.

I very much doubt we'll be splashing the cash around somehow, with a takeover in the offing.

I have to say that I'd be more than happy if there were no more transfer dealings at all .

Roberts was looking quite promising toward the end of the season . If McCarthy stays then Bellamy would be an overpriced risk IMO . In fact I don't think him coming back would be agood idea even if McCarthy left ......

I thought you didn't give two hoots about spelling... :unsure:

I love the updates personally. Beats reading all the usual moaning. Thanks Nicko.

Tchocky you 'tard! :rolleyes:

My point was MEANT to be sarcastic and a sly dig at those that are always criticising spelling, grammar etc.

Annnnnnnnnyway, I have no issue with Nicko giving us updates, nor do I have an issue with any other member doing this. It's when everyone else starts believing every word they say!

And to the poster that accused me of doing this last summer - I DID NOT! I'm more the type of person who 'waits and sees' rather than speculates - but these threads provide entertainment if nothing else.

Carry on Nicko.

We dont want Mido. No sloppy seconds thanks!!

He was offered a deal alst year and didnt take it. No more chances please!

Congratulations Hughesy ...... you appear to be a poster who can genuinely type faster than he can think!.:tu:

Benni was 'sloppy seconds' and if Sparky gets his way so too will be Craig Bellamy. :rover:

Liverpool WILL sell Bellamy. The race is on.

Just found out that Rafa Benitez wants to cash in to pay for bids for one and possibly two wingers.

Think this will start moving fast.

Bellamy will have a big say in his next club but I would have to say it's anyone's guess at the moment.

There is no doubt Rovers will go in, but there will be opposition.

However - after having doubts about whether he would be sold - I thought it was better to put you straight.

Just found out that Rafa Benitez wants to cash in to pay for bids for one and possibly two wingers.

Well they definitely need a good left winger.

........ And we have one! :unsure:

I reckon if we go for Bellamy Rafa will ask for MGP. Is it worth it??

Yes!

1. If it turns out MGP is off anyway.

2. Plus it'll keep him out of Spurs grasping mitts and deliver another body blow to WHU in the process!

3. We've just signed a winger.

i'd be quite happy at swapping mgp for bellamy.

chances are - he'll want out soon anyway. his agent is always talking up the man u and liverpool link.

to be honest though, i can't see rafa wanting him. he seems to do his homework well, so he'll know mgp is not the type of player they need. he is not skillful enough in the dribbling stakes.

cash in and re- sign duff

Think this will start moving fast.

Bellamy will have a big say in his next club but I would have to say it's anyone's guess at the moment.

There is no doubt Rovers will go in, but there will be opposition.

However - after having doubts about whether he would be sold - I thought it was better to put you straight.

my guess is that he'll end up at west ham. he'll listen to all their drivel about assembling a title challenging team and be more than happy at the 80k a week wages!

nicko - who do you support?

oh..and thanks for the info - appreciated.

Archived