• McCarthy
    • Roberts
    • Santa - sub
    • Derbyshire - sub
    • Mokoena - sub

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really relieved by today's turnaround, at half time I was thinking that with the Villa game being postponed we could be looking in extremely poor shape by next Sunday evening if things didn't go our way against Arsenal.

Now, no worse than a point against them, and it would be a very solid start. Could make the world of difference psychologically.

Just seen the very brief highlights on MOTD - not of much value as regards analysing the game but it doesn't appear we offered a great deal prior to the stunning contributions from Derbyshire and Santa Cruz.

How long before they're the first choice starters? :huh:

Benni's injury seemed very odd - the initial collision seemed something and nothing then he just seemed to collapse spark out some time after. Hope he's ok and hasn't got any sort of underlying problem.

Very satisfying result, it seems we didn't play that well but won and people usually put that down as the mark of a good side.

that was the first time i have seen santa cruz in action for rovers and i have to say that he does seem to be a top quality player. for a big lad his speed is very good and something taht we have not had upfront since bellars. the 2nd half was far far better and i actually thought we played exceptionally well . i am delighted with the 3 points!!

I watched the full game on viewers choice on FoxSports in Aus and Rovers were pretty good for first 10-15 mins. Then Boro came more into the game. Savage was busy but Dunn didn't really seem to completely get into the game.

Boro were hitting us on the break and Yakubu was proving difficult to defend against up front, and Aliadiere was putting some good runs that were stretching us. The ref was very fussy and it was no surprise when he awarded a free kick that Boro scored from. Friedel was ropeable as the free kick went through a gap in the wall and into the back of the net.

In the second half the game looked to be slipping away from us until the McCarthy incident, that looked pretty innocuous but took 6 minutes to get him off the pitch. The commentators were saying he want to hospital for observation but it looked pretty bad at the time. But the change bringing Santa Cruz really turned the match. He was strong up front, is tall and has plenty of pace and the Boro defenders didn't know what to do with him. From a good cross he leaped very well to score a great header and once we'd got the equaliser we looked set for more.

Derbyshire came on and scored after 20 seconds and then did the worst knee slide celebration I think I have ever seen! but it was worth it to get the winner!

A couple of scares in the 6 minutes of injury time including more heroics from Friedel got us the 3 points and then after the whistle Boateng get his handbag out and kicked the ball at MGP in frustration. A melee ensued and Hughes came on the pitch to 'drag' the players off!

If we can control midfield more I think with the firepower we've got we should score lots of goals this season. We've just got to make sure our defence is strong. At times today it was desperate defending but still very happy with the win, especially when I only expected a draw.

Great result for the opening day, two excellent goals and three points is as much as you can hope for. On the evidence from MOTD you have to wonder what the result would have been if Boro had any strikers. Looked to me as though they had 5-6 chances and we were slow to clear the lines. What do the people who went think?

I watched the full game on viewers choice on FoxSports in Aus and Rovers were pretty good for first 10-15 mins. Then Boro came more into the game. Savage was busy but Dunn didn't really seem to completely get into the game.

If we can control midfield more I think with the firepower we've got we should score lots of goals this season. We've just got to make sure our defence is strong. At times today it was desperate defending but still very happy with the win, especially when I only expected a draw.

Signing a quality central midfielder has to be Mark Hughes next priority, watching Dunny running was like watching him run through snow, his legs were moving fast but he wasnt covering the ground quickly enough.

Great result for the opening day, two excellent goals and three points is as much as you can hope for. On the evidence from MOTD you have to wonder what the result would have been if Boro had any strikers. Looked to me as though they had 5-6 chances and we were slow to clear the lines. What do the people who went think?

I think that this is going to be a problem in the MoM polls if he only exposure is to MotD highlights.

Boro were better than us in the first half, but nowhere near the 10x better that the highlights suggested.

Our problems mainly seemed to stem from the full backs being in the wrong places. Warnock would go on a run, he'd lose possession near the Boro box and we'd be a defender light. Either that or Ooijer would be too central, slip, or be slow in getting back to give them space on that flank. Additionally Bentley didn't look great (possibly covering defensively) .

We also had a goal disallowed for offside following a good move (was that on MotD - no); and there were some other attacks that ended in a similar Benni flag. None of which made the edit.

It is amazing how it seems to take a few games for us to get our defence sorted out at the start of every season. Even in pre-season against weak opposition we looked less than secure.

However - what offers me real hope for the comng season - I can't remember (even in the Championship year) when we have had as many goal scoring threats throughout the team. We have 6 strikers - all with different attributes that can be mixed and matched to suit the opposition (this includes the 2nd highest goal scorer from last season). In midfield we have regular goal scorers in Bentley and MGP, though he has yet to really show it Dunn has a reasonable record from midfield - and Reid and Tugay are always likely to weigh in with the odd spectacular effort. In defence we have players like Samba who will always be a threat from set plays.

Middlesborough was the type of game that we have historically lost - yes we may have been lucky - but three points will hopefully give the team more belief and confidence. It is amazing how much difference confidence makes to a team - all we need to do is follow that up with wins in UEFA - and our next home game (Arsenal - easy :lol: ) - and we will be flying.

Addmittedly, Ive only seen Match of the Day and listened to the comentary yesterday in Radio Lancs,

From radio coverage it would appear that we were slow to get back and cover, we seem to be missing Bert.

In my opinion despite his aerial weakness, we could do with Emertons stamina and box to box defensive strengths.

Addmittedly, Ive only seen Match of the Day and listened to the comentary yesterday in Radio Lancs,

From radio coverage it would appear that we were slow to get back and cover, we seem to be missing Bert.

In my opinion despite his aerial weakness, we could do with Emertons stamina and box to box defensive strengths.

I agree, I doubt Ooijer can offer as much attacking threat as Emerton as well as providing an option for Bentley down the wing.

I noticed we got our usual spot on motd (always either last or 2nd to last).

It really p*sses me off that the good work Hughes is doing isn`t more in the spotlight as far as the media is concerned.If Derbyshire`s goal had been scored by Ronaldo they would have been drooling all over it for weeks,although in all fairness old chicken`n`beans liked the goal and seems to rate him highly.

They say it's an ill wind and all that......Benni's injury gave Santa his chance and it sounds like Benni is fine. Although methinks Hughes would probably have given Santa and Matty a run out anyway.

Derbyshire can't put a foot wrong at the mo. For a local lad he really is living the dream. Good luck to him.

We just need to keep hold of everyone for another 19 days until the transfer window shuts (EDIT: the drummer can go on a free). Regardless of our striking riches, we will need them all if we are to compete in 4 competitions, however fortunate we are with injuries and suspensions.

Re MOTD, Shearer's remark that 'Blackburn have to make new signings' left me baffled? - we have a squad of 31 with cover in every position for the first time I can remember!

:brfc:

Friedel was ropeable as the free kick went through a gap in the wall and into the back of the net.

What does 'ropeable' mean? If its 'culpable' then no way. A weak wall with players (seasoned professionals) not linking arms tightly enough to keep their colleagues in place and unbroken was the issue. A Cub scout football issue which should be resolved by Monday when a bollocking, teammates ridicule and a forfeit of 30 mins extra fitness training should make sure there is no repeat.

I was at the game. Thought both teams were mid table teams on that performance. We played much as we have done in pre-season.

The first 20 minutes we controlled the game, had the lions share of possession, they had nothing to offer and I thought we would win easily. Following the Savage clearance, another attempted Boro breakaway they got back into it and it was 50:50 up to half time. We failed to create a clear opportunity except for the disallowed goal.

Second half was mostly Boro as they came out with more effort and we couldn't retain the ball as well as we would have liked. Still they posed little goal threat either as defences dominated. Then Benni went off, Bentley delivered a world class cross and Cruz applied a top drawer finish. Boro were stung and upped their effort only to see Derbyshire come on and sting them again, after Cruz had won a headed flick on. There still wasn't much difference in the sides on the day which is reflected by possession over the 90 minutes 54:46 in Boros favour. It was anyone's game and class in the final third probably decided the outcome.

After Derbyshire's goal Hughes did what he did at Preston, a new formation. He pushed Matty out wide right and told Pederson to support Warnock, who had his worst game in a blues shirt, and Bentley played a central attacking midfield role roaming around, with Cruz up friont on his own. Middlesboro pushed Rovers back and as a consequence of all this, had little room out wide. Rovers harried and chased in midfield, Boro were forced to pumping long hopeful balls. Rovers unable to get out of our half much, Boro winning the ball back quickly in a deperate last 10 minutes to get back in the game. Unfortunately for Rovers we were not always winning the first header (Nelsen lost some) and this caused us some defensive jitters.

Tactically I would have started with Tugay and Emerton and took the game to them. With Savage and Ouijar we were more defensive and gave some impetus to Boro, whilst shoring up the defence. With two direct wide men you can see why Hughes chose Ouijar over Emerton and Savage has been Rovers engine and motivator for Hughes. However we'll have to better as the season goes on, certainly against Arsenal.

Friedal - two great saves

Warnock - poorest game in a rovers shirt. First half errant, second half all over the place which allowed quite a few crosses to fly in from Boro's right.

Nelsen - solid - still not up to the standard of the first season. poor distribution.

Samba - Long legs, totally committed. Still not communicating 100% with Nelsen. One or two gaps in the defence and down the channels.

Ouijar - Good concentration - slow - good on the ball - kept Tuncal quiet.

Pederson - good workrate, odd flick and pass, nothing in the final third, poor freekick from good position.

Dunn - fitter, worked his socks off front to back. Has lost a yard of pace, did little creative, tried to keep it too simple. Good game

Savage - much improved on pre-season. Still not 100%. Created nothing, ran everywhere and closed Boro down, passed it backwards or sideways, didn't give it away as much.

Bentley - ok first half, worked, tried to deliver some good crosses. Quieter second half until setting up Cruz's goal. Good on the ball, good passing and movement, just not enough it, disappeared at times.

Benni - up against tight marking and Rovers supply to the forwards lacked quality. Crowded out, fouled and niggled, found little space and had little support at times.

Roberts - very disappointing, after a great pre-season a return to last season abysmal performance. Didn't seem interested, chased little, lost control often and didn't even manage to pose a threat with his physical size and never stretched his calves and used his pace. very poor.

Cruz - sharp but adjusting at times to the speed at which he is closed down. battled too. One or two poor touches, mostly good ones suggests, prob getting used to Prem. 100% keen and enthusiastic and worked hard.

Derbyshire - after his 23 sec goal went and worked up and down the right.

Summary. Boro better than last season. Rovers sluggish/solid, two pieces of class of front enough to take the points. Not enough good or consistent play through the midfield.

Friedel was ropeable as the free kick went through a gap in the wall and into the back of the net.

What does 'ropeable' mean? If its 'culpable' then no way. A weak wall with players (seasoned professionals) not linking arms tightly enough to keep their colleagues in place and unbroken was the issue. A Cub scout football issue which should be resolved by Monday when a bollocking, teammates ridicule and a forfeit of 30 mins extra fitness training for the two involved should make sure there is no repeat.

What does 'ropeable' mean? If its 'culpable' then no way. A weak wall with players (seasoned professionals) not linking arms tightly enough to keep their colleagues in place and unbroken was the issue. A Cub scout football issue which should be resolved by Monday when a bollocking, teammates ridicule and a forfeit of 30 mins extra fitness training should make sure there is no repeat.

We seem to have a problem with making solid walls, happened at Charlton last year when Gally peeled off the end exactly where the ball went. Then yesterday the ball went right between Savage and Pedersen, who both stood there complaining to each other.

There still wasn't much difference in the sides on the day which is reflected by possession over the 90 minutes 54:46 in Boros favour. It was anyone's game and class in the final third probably decided the outcome.

I think it's prob fair to point out (and not being unfair to a lot of good, hard working players and an astute manager ) that we have a Premier League trophy toi our name cos of that self same reason.

We seem to have a problem with making solid walls, happened at Charlton last year when Gally peeled off the end exactly where the ball went. Then yesterday the ball went right between Savage and Pedersen, who both stood there complaining to each other.

It looked like Savage was at fault, turning his body sideways to create the gap. Looked as if he was trying to avoid the ball.

:brfc:

He got a long way off the ground even though closely marked, but it really was a peach of a cross from Bentley. I thought Santa Cruz looked quality for the short space of time he was on at PNE but now he looks real quality. Lets hope his latin temperament (if he has one) doesn't get in the way of his ability.

That's great news TND, I was firmly in the doubters camp. I read a snippet here on soccernet.com that the Admiral said the lad's "too bloody good" You lot are getting me all excited about Cruz and I have never seen him play. Could our Sparky have pulled off another coup here? With all the big money signings it would be nice if we flew in the face of the money men, again.

Archived