• Pedersen
    • Dunn
    • Savage
    • McCarthy
    • Roberts
    • Santa - sub
    • Derbyshire - sub
    • Mokoena - sub

Fife is just giving his opinion based on his experience.

I'm afraid that's just not the case - Fife is basing his opinion entirely on his own cynicism. I am quite sure there is no real, proven precedent for the situation he describes.

I must admit when my son had a nasty knock on the head - fell back on concrete - and was shaking and dizzy A & E just looked him over and sent him home. I had to take him back later in the week and still they did nothing but luckily he fully recovered after a few days' rest.

But is your son a Premiership footballer? Again, the circumstances are quite different.

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm open to suggestions Paul.

Thing is, if we simply make another seperate topic, then these polls will litter all the m/b. putting the poll in another forum wouldn't attract the same interest IMO. We could cut down on the number of poll options, say offer 5 players to vote on. That would cut the physical size of the poll, - but who's brave enough to pick the 5 players?

Personally speaking I think it should be a seperate topic, pinned for 48 hours after the game with the match thread, then shift it to another forum to keep all the polls together but not cluttering up the main MB.

Alternatively create a user account, "pollster" or something, and use that account to post the poll in the match trhead. Grumpy old men can put it on Ignore. :mellow:

A poster mentioned a week or two ago that the two central midfield pairing options should be Savage/Tugay and Dunn/Mokoena due to their tendencies on the pitch, and I have to agree at this point.. I was disappointed with the Savage/Dunn combination.

I was also disappointed with our two fullbacks... Warnock was pretty awful defensively all game, but I know he can do better. But I'd much rather have Emerton than Ooijer simply for the upgrade in speed. Aliadiere and Tuncay were really threatening with their pace..

Glad to get the three points, and delighted to see Santa Cruz and Derbyshire hitting the ground running this season, but hopefully we can pick up our game a little bit still.

OJ did you not want me in this picture -must have taken it at half time or just at the start of the 2nd as I had just gone underneath.

Photo timed at 1606 Capt. You must have been int bogs still.

Agree with everything you siad as well.

So, you want to compare what they do to an old man with what they do with a fit, seasoned athlete? I know someone who tore his ACL and didn't get back to full fitness for a year or so. Does that mean if a player can get back in 6 months he faked it and just wanted a long rest? Why would he sit out the second half of the match just so he wouldn't be cup tied? Also, remember there are different levels of concussions. Mrs American got bopped in the head with a softball yesterday and saw stars (I wasn't even in the country at the time!!) - who knows, she might have had a mild concussion, as she doesn't remember the exact details of it happening. However, she never even went to the hospital and didn't have any lasting effects after the next half hour or so. That being said, she didn't have a full team of professional trainers/medics who insisted she go to the hospital to get tests that are more effective than "how many fingers am I holding up?" to see what level of concussion she might have had. It was smart for them to send him for precautionary measures. To suggest he would do this elaborate ruse to not be cup tied for a cup he wouldn't even be tied for is not smart.

I would just say this in respect of the "Benni conspiracy theory"and my previous posts. I was simply posting my OPINION on the matter and I am PERFECTLY ENTITLED to do that, just as each and every one of you is entitled to your opinions on any subject. I stated my reasons in the first place that I do and always have questioned Benni's attitude and commitment to BRFC. None of this has ever had any connection to any conspiracy theory and to those that think this, it just goes to show the way their childish minds work. I have given all my reasons and backed it up with a statement of pure unvarnished fact about what happened to me when I had a head knock and concussion. If some of you have difficulty in believing that then all I can say is that is your problem. Perhaps you come from a background where lying is the norm?

Suffice it to say that if Benni lost consciousness for however short a time and the Hospital doctors knew that to be the case then there is absolutely no way they would be able to discharge him without a period of observation, unless he signed a disclaimer. Feel free to check it out. Also if he was deemed to be suffering from concussion he will not be allowed to play in any match for at least 2 weeks. Therefore if he does play within that period it can only mean that he was not diagnosed with concussion in the first place. Is that so difficult for you to understand?

I will also repeat that IF Benni does travel to Finland and plays in the match against My Pa he will be cup-tied as far as the CL is concerned until at least the last 16 stage. My opinion again is that he will not play and therfore will NOT be cup-tied. You can all make your own minds up about that, and I will have my own opinion. If on the other hand he does play against My Pa and therefore he is cup-tied I will agree that I was wrong and will apologise. Let's just see what happens shall we?

...and to those that think this, it just goes to show the way their childish minds work. ... If some of you have difficulty in believing that then all I can say is that is your problem. Perhaps you come from a background where lying is the norm?

If you are going to be defensive and abusive to people posting their OPINION, I will be as well.

Your first post is the stupidest I have ever read on this board. You don't like that you have been called on it, so are acting about 50-70 years younger than you are. Instead of answering legitimate questions, you are just labeling people childish and liars (Like you said, we are all entitled to our OPINIONS.)

You are an older man, not a fit athlete. FACT. There are different levels of concussions. FACT. Benni was being released into the care of medical professionals. FACT.

Opinion time: Benni looked legitimately injured, from all accounts. Why would he leave in the middle of the match just for the possibility he would be cup tied for a cup he probably won't even have a chance to play in? (Chelsea is going with one striker this season, and don't look like they will be hurting for goals without him. Arsenal, United and Liverpool all spent big on strikers already.)

2. Despite that I still reckon one of Benni or Roberts will be off by the end of August. No facts, no links, nothing. Just a feeling. We've too many strikers.

To judge from Saturday's performance Roberts is not interested in playing for the club anymore.

And Benni will do anything to stay in the headlines.

I would just say this in respect of the "Benni conspiracy theory"and my previous posts. I was simply posting my OPINION on the matter and I am PERFECTLY ENTITLED to do that, just as each and every one of you is entitled to your opinions on any subject. I stated my reasons in the first place that I do and always have questioned Benni's attitude and commitment to BRFC. None of this has ever had any connection to any conspiracy theory and to those that think this, it just goes to show the way their childish minds work. I have given all my reasons and backed it up with a statement of pure unvarnished fact about what happened to me when I had a head knock and concussion. If some of you have difficulty in believing that then all I can say is that is your problem. Perhaps you come from a background where lying is the norm?

Suffice it to say that if Benni lost consciousness for however short a time and the Hospital doctors knew that to be the case then there is absolutely no way they would be able to discharge him without a period of observation, unless he signed a disclaimer. Feel free to check it out. Also if he was deemed to be suffering from concussion he will not be allowed to play in any match for at least 2 weeks. Therefore if he does play within that period it can only mean that he was not diagnosed with concussion in the first place. Is that so difficult for you to understand?

I will also repeat that IF Benni does travel to Finland and plays in the match against My Pa he will be cup-tied as far as the CL is concerned until at least the last 16 stage. My opinion again is that he will not play and therfore will NOT be cup-tied. You can all make your own minds up about that, and I will have my own opinion. If on the other hand he does play against My Pa and therefore he is cup-tied I will agree that I was wrong and will apologise. Let's just see what happens shall we?

Fife,

You still does not know what is the problem in your opinion? If Benni do not want to play for us, he will use any other easier method to do so instead of letting someone to hurt his head and then pretend the injury is very serious(and hope that his neck/leg won't broken during the kick and he should make sure that someone will really kick his head/leg during the match so that he can have a chance to pretend... ).

Just an example, if one day you hate your job and you don't want to work in this company, will you broke your leg or try to hurt your leg, and pretend the injury is very serious so that you need not go to office, and let your company fire you? No, you won't be so stupid, you just need to hand in the letter and then say goodbye.

I think both of us will agree that Benni wants to go to "bigger" club as he has told before. But I think he is a very good professional player, for other players, they just refuse to play until the clube listed him, but Benni is still playing for us. My point is that Benni need not do such stupid thing so as to leave the club.

You still haven't answered the comment someone else pointed out about John Terry. It's all well and good saying that's my opinion and i'm entitled to it, but when that opinion is nonsense you should expect to be picked up on it. Also if you check Uefa regs out it makes clear a provision for a player not being cup-tied if the it is a different competition.

To suggest he faked injury when all the evidence suggests different is bizarre to say the least and if you have such little faith in players these days i'm amazed you even bother watching.

Fife, you ignored my point- the Rovers bus will be equipped like a small hospital and with the team doctor and physio on board, Benni would receive far better treatment and closer observation there than in Middlesbrough General once the A&E had done what they needed to do in terms of checking with their equipment.

Therefore, no release would be required to be signed by Benni.

His Rovers contract will have medical clauses obliging him to follow the instructions of the club's medics. The Rovers would have sorted everything with the Hospital who will be used to receiving sporting injuries- Woodgate "plays" for Boro remember.

I know it sounds overly cynical but I have to say that I was 3/4 expecting it. I am of course referring to Benni's injury. If you care to look back to my post on the Benni McCarthy thread of Aug 8th you will see that I predicted that benni will make sure he is not available for selection for the My Pa games so as not to get himself cup-tied. He has now done just that by getting an "injury" that cannot be diagnosed easily as anything other than concussion, and as we all know that automatically means a 2 week lay off from any games/training. Nicely done Benni, especially as no one can prove a thing!

All I DO know is that about 2 years ago I slipped on an icy pavement and banged the back of my head, and actually lay unconcious for a short time in someone's front garden.........................................

..................... I was apparently white as a sheet and speaking incoherently.

And errr..... when exactly did these syptoms subside Fife? :huh::lol:

Take no notice, Fife. Some people have to pick on and attempt to ridicule someone rather than discussing things sensibly.

Interesting piece from Official Site: here

Looks like Roque has settled in quickly with the squad - fair play to the lad, he is going to be another superb signing.

Take no notice, Fife. Some people have to pick on and attempt to ridicule someone rather than discussing things sensibly.

Interesting piece from Official Site: here

Looks like Roque has settled in quickly with the squad - fair play to the lad, he is going to be another superb signing.

No problems Mum, but thanks for that. At least you can reply in a civil manner, and I do know that there are a few more that share my opinion of Benni, but obviously they are keeping a very low profile at present. They obviously dont fancy coming under fire right now. And as for the people that consistently mis-read or mis-understand what I am saying; they obviously cannot understand plain English as nowhere have I ever said or implied that Benni did anything to deliberately get himself injured in any way. But that is the consistently recurring accusation although nobody has been able to point to any of my posts where I say or suggest that. Not surprising really because I never said it. Also everyone seems to conveniently forget that I made my prediction in a post dated Aug 8th; 3 whole days before the incident that they are all getting so excited about now, but prior to the injury at Boro nobody bothered to even reply, so they cant have been too upset then. I think it is the fear factor in these immature posters. I dont want to see Benni leave us either, but if his heart is not truly in being a Rover then I would rather he left now while we can still get a good price for him and have the chance to find a replacement. Time alone will tell who is right.

2 good goals - but the performance seemed poor.

Dunn isnt match fit, but we got away with it. Bentley & Peds will improve with games as usual.

Ooijer is suspect until 100% match fit and id prefare Emerton @ right back until then.

We had 2 attempts and scored 2 goals - that tells the story! We were lucky, but we got away with it. Much improved performance needed next week.

Also how did Cruz look except for his goal?

I think it is the fear factor in these immature posters. I dont want to see Benni leave us either, but if his heart is not truly in being a Rover then I would rather he left now while we can still get a good price for him and have the chance to find a replacement. Time alone will tell who is right.

Fife, you have consistently labelled anyone who has disagreed with you on this, either immature or any number of other insults. I haven't seen anyone respond in anything like the same way so I really cannot understand your hissy fit. I have no problem with anyone having opnions but if when challenged you respond like this then why bother sharing them.

You state that you don't want Benni to leave yet you accuse him of play acting and pretending he was injured in order to avoid playing for us and getting cup-tied. If I thought any player was guilty of that I wouldn't want him anywhere near the team and i'm damn sure Hughes wouldn't either.

Must admit, feigning swallowing your tongue must be quite difficult FFS, I think trying to wrap this into a conspiracy theory is stretching matters a bit far don't you? He got clattered, got up, rolled his neck round and quite clearly collapsed, the physio didn't pi** about so he must have known it could have been serious!

As for other matters:

I agree, Dunny seems off the pace still, I still very much hope to be proven wrong on our dunny (Please!) , however, Sav looked in good shape and put in his usual workrate, anyone know how far Reidy is off still?

ooijer, why does he fall over or lose the plot at such vital stages so much, that slip at the death nearly cost us !

Agree, sounds like we got away with that, but the finishes were excellent!

Anyone who went rate the other positives?

Can't wait for the Arsenal match TBH !

Well to be fair to Fife, what he is saying is true. I personally don't think Benni is pretending; however he COULD be. No one can prove it one way or the other. Of course the medical staff can check him over etc etc, but I could quite happily go to my boss and say I still feel dizzy after banging my head a week ago, when I don't, and he can't prove it. I can't however say 'I have broken my leg boss' and get away with it. It's all very well saying 'I can't believe your suggesting a player would do that!', but players aren't moral superhumans, it is a possibility.

Like I said, I don't think Benni is pretending. From all reports, from seeing the incident and from trusting the medical staffs judgements, I have come to that conclusion.

We can endlessly discuss this, but it is just simply two different opinions. Like Fife says, why not just wait and see if he plays, and subsequently, if he is still at the club when the window shuts!

Must admit, feigning swallowing your tongue must be quite difficult FFS, I think trying to wrap this into a conspiracy theory is stretching matters a bit far don't you? He got clattered, got up, rolled his neck round and quite clearly collapsed, the physio didn't pi** about so he must have known it could have been serious!

As for other matters:

I agree, Dunny seems off the pace still, I still very much hope to be proven wrong on our dunny (Please!) , however, Sav looked in good shape and put in his usual workrate, anyone know how far Reidy is off still?

ooijer, why does he fall over or lose the plot at such vital stages so much, that slip at the death nearly cost us !

Agree, sounds like we got away with that, but the finishes were excellent!

Anyone who went rate the other positives?

Can't wait for the Arsenal match TBH !

I've been falling all all over my office floor in Liverpool this morning trying to "do a Benni" , pass out and swallow my tongue, and turn as white as a sheet (did Benni do that last bit?).

It works because an ambulance has just turned up to take me to hospital. Says Broadmoor hospital on the side!

No problems Mum, but thanks for that. At least you can reply in a civil manner, and I do know that there are a few more that share my opinion of Benni, but obviously they are keeping a very low profile at present. They obviously dont fancy coming under fire right now. And as for the people that consistently mis-read or mis-understand what I am saying; they obviously cannot understand plain English as nowhere have I ever said or implied that Benni did anything to deliberately get himself injured in any way. But that is the consistently recurring accusation although nobody has been able to point to any of my posts where I say or suggest that. Not surprising really because I never said it. Also everyone seems to conveniently forget that I made my prediction in a post dated Aug 8th; 3 whole days before the incident that they are all getting so excited about now, but prior to the injury at Boro nobody bothered to even reply, so they cant have been too upset then. I think it is the fear factor in these immature posters. I dont want to see Benni leave us either, but if his heart is not truly in being a Rover then I would rather he left now while we can still get a good price for him and have the chance to find a replacement. Time alone will tell who is right.

As Manchester Rover has stated, you seem to be rather aggressive and dismisisve of anyone who seems to have a potentially more realistic view of Benni's injury, in that it was real.

OK, so you do not actually said he has definitely fabricated the issue, but you are rather proud of your deduction he would engineer a way out of playing against MyPa and this 'injury' is clearly the way he's done it.

If you aren't claiming the injury was his get out clause, how would he have avoided playing? Claimed his Uncle had died and he had to attend a funeral? Or maybe his car had multiple problems and he misses the plane? Or how about being abducted my aliens?

The point isn't if Benni wants to play or not but the rather peculiar way you're trying to manipulate facts to fit your cynical view. (And the use of the word cynical is something you used in the first post in the conspiracy subplot.)

Archived