BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bolton Already Doomed ?

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bolton look in trouble. They could easily lose Anelka and Diouf - their only real quality players - by the end of next week, and according to a few Bolton fans I know Jussi looks well unhappy and seem to want to be there any longer.

Bolton look in trouble. They could easily lose Anelka and Diouf - their only real quality players -

Indeed BUT neither of those two will be any good in a relegation scrap. Better getting rid of both and using the money to get some players in of lesser ability but with more fire in their belly.

....... they'd also be better prepared for life in the Championship...... :unsure:

That would be a real shame. As an aside where is that Bolton fan / clown / troll who honoured us with his prescence last season? He's very quiet. Maybe he's trying to think up another joke.

He's busy registering on the PNE and Wolves boards ready for next season's banter

He's busy registering on the PNE and Wolves boards ready for next season's banter

:lol: not nobends hahaahha there going down too...oh ive had fun working in preston today..me and a seasider giving em hell....good luck pool in two weeks v returds.

Probably something to do with Peter Kay and Vernon Kaye, and how great they are as they're from BOL-TON!!!!! Still, even if they lose every other game 4-0 or more, they'll still beat us with a Kevin Davies hat-trick. What is French for "over rated sulky tw_t" Eddie?

• 6 months later...

No tears shed for Bolton if they go down

Bolton were just a game away from a quarter-final place in the UEFA Cup, which would have been a fine achievement for the club. A win against Sporting Lisbon would have given them a big confidence boost ahead of their Premiership match against Wigan last Sunday.

But Gary Megson's decision to go to Portugal without so many regular first-team players, as well as leaving his assistant manager behind, clearly backfired on him. Bolton were dreadful on Sunday against a Wigan side who were down to ten men for 85 minutes. A fat lot of good the midweek break did for Megson's first-team players.

When Sammy Lee replaced Big Sam Allardyce at the Reebok last year, the Bolton chairman Phil Gartside ludicrously insisted that Sammy Lee was a better manager than Allardyce. (See the link HERE )

Within just a couple of months of the start of this season, Lee was sacked and Gary Megson appointed - a man with a distinctly unimpressive managerial record. But Phil Gartside insisted: "Gary is the right man to take Bolton forward."

At the moment it looks as if the only place Megson is taking Bolton is down into the Championship. If relegation does happen (it's going to be a major relegation scrap for a number of clubs) then I won't be shedding any tears for the buffoon Phil Gartside if Bolton do slip out of the Premiership.

Scary. For the first time I can remember I find myself agreeing with an article in the Daily Mail. The journo is quite right though. The FA and League cups were devalued many seasons back by the PL clubs, to the extent some lower division sides have been known to field weakened sides in these competitions. Bolton's approach clearly sends the message that , for them, the PL is more important than the UEFA cup, and now we have the beginnings of the PL being more important than winning a European competition. I understand Megson's approach and reasoning, there can be little doubt his directors had a significant input into the decision, Bolton have a lot of debt.

The question should be asked why bother to enter cup competitions? The PL provides all the money a club needs, apparently footballers play too many matches, so the clubs can solve two problems at once. Give the poor darlings a rest from the exertions of 2 hours training each day and 90 minutes of effort once a week while avoiding the distraction of trying to win trophies. Seems perefect to me, no doubt if Bolton survive they will adopt this policy next season and threaten the big three for the Premiership.

Bolton and Newcastle to join Derby in the Championship would be perfect.

Really really pleased that Bolton lost at Wigan after the disgraceful decision to rest eight players against Sporting. I hate any team that puts out a weakened side because "it's only the Cup." etc.

They also haven't scored in god knows how long and it looks like they are also suffering from their chronic lack of ambition in bringing in Rasiak on loan after Anelka was sold for 15m. It's starting to look like Megson is indeed the journeyman manager we all thought he was when he was apointed.

As SG 194 says I'm sure there's a warning in there for us somewhere but in the meantime it's great fun watching them squirm.

IF (big if) Bolton and Newcastle drop, it is also going to release quite a few Prem quality players onto market in addition to the wholesale clear-out at Spurs that is being promised.

With a bit of luck, the smaller and less funded of the five clubs scrapping it out at the top of the fizzy pop league will come up and Rovers might find themselves operating in a transfer market they can make deals in this summer.

As SG 194 says I'm sure there's a warning in there for us somewhere but in the meantime it's great fun watching them squirm.

Absolutely there is Rev and SG 194, more than a warning in my opinion. A lesson for the men who control the purse strings at Rovers. Bolton went from Europe chasing team to relegation fodder by changing one thing, the Boss, it's all it took. Take heed Mr Williams and Co, be afraid, be very afraid.

When I was driving to work this morning in Manc I was behind a banger a car with a Bolton sticker in it, "One and only Wanderers". Then it struck me that that was the song they were slurring at the Reebok, when I thought they were singing " wer wer wer wuh wer wer wanderers". So it must've been something like "we're the one and only wanderers". But based on that then they should go down, as I can think of at least two other Wanderers: Wolverhampton and Wycombe!

So their song should be amended back to the original: "wer wer wer wuh wuh wuh wanderers".

Thoughts people?

They nicked the song off Preston who sing, "we're the one and only North End." Unfortunately Glossop North End are long since dead and buried or we could have a go at Preston also for being inaccurate.

As my girlfriends family are from Bolton, I also work with a load of Bolton Fans I would feel a little bit sorry for them if they did go down as they support Bolton – but in fact NO I WOULDN’T!! HA HA Send them down!

Let some of those undecided Bolton/ Blackburn/ Preston fans decide that the only place to watch prem football is Ewood Park – if it benefits us then good bye Bolton. Hope United beat them 3 or 4-0 tonight and really hurt their goal difference and morale too. As the Article says they were bang out of order for fielding a weakened team and for letting those fans down that had travelled all over Europe this year. I know quite a few that went to Lisbon and most say they knew and they were expecting it – but im sure that nobody expected them to leave 12 of the 1st team squad behind.

The same could happen to us if Hughes left, but the big difference is the quality of players we already have. To be honest they have Jussi, Anelka and Diouf who are good - 1 has left, 1 is out of contract in 3 months and 1 will probably want to go if they drop down. They showed a big lack of ambition in January by selling Anelka (which couldnt be argued with) but then replacing him with about 3 defenders and a championship striker on loan.

Archived