BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Other Premier League Happenings

Come on, Jordan, this is West Ham you were talking about, we don't want them getting points. I wouldn't have minded them being beaten by Bolton (for the cause) who are doing a great job of keeping themselves at the bottom of the table. In the end I was glad of a draw rather than a WH win, but my goodness what a dire match. The booing at the end was great stuff :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Being an American, I was never too sure what to think about the whole "big clubs getting all the calls" conspiracy theories. Then, as a Rovers fan, it was easy to throw a lot of blame on losing 50-50 calls to playing a bigger club. Still, a skeptic I remained.

Until today.

I just watched the Derby-Chelsea game. Appalling. Eye-opening. Astonishing. I don't even know what to say. Some of the calls against Derby were ridiculous and it was more a lack of calls against Chelsea that opened my eye. Most of the calls that were called were simply just to make sure they were calling something for Derby. The offsides called on Derby when they "scored" the equalizer was unreal. I think the referee realized in the beginning of the second half how biased he was, and it was a very fair called half on his part. The two linesmen were not on that page at all. The most astonishing incident came with the red to Essien. He clearly looked over his shoulder and gave the Derby man a backhand whack, and the ref was in great view of it. Al this was after the grabbing on Pizzaro that was rightly called a foul. Now the defender did catch Pizzaro in the chin, but it was clearly incidental, and the ref didn't make too big a mess out of it. (Although Pizzaro did, he went down rolling and checking his untouched nose for blood) The Essien incident came right after so the ref made a strong call, but it wasn't completely out of line. Anyways, I'm rambling, but here's my point. Chelsea surround the ref, screaming and yelling, Terry looks mean enough to take a swing at him, there's a Derby man trying to protect the ref and he's getting tossed and thrown, and then, to top it all off, Terry pikcs up the ball and literally throws it at the ref. I will have to see now if any one who makes up the powers that be do anything about this, or Chelsea not being able to control their players, up 2-0 at this point.

I get it now, and it's extremely disheartening.

Not the finest set of results for us today. We now have to win to just be essentially where we were before the day began. It's getting too predictable, I think we're starting to see a genuine unassailable divide emerge between the quality in the top half and the bottom half. Teams like Boro, Birmingham and Sunderland just can't cope with the likes of us, Portsmouth, Everton and Villa, even at home. It's going to take a great effort from the lads this season to make Europe, looking at how tough the competition in our segment of the league is. Maybe someone can actually break that monopoly this year...whether it will be us is another thing entirely.

As I pointed out on the Fulham thread, by an absolute freak of the table and fixtures, this week-end sees top ten play bottom ten.

Everton certainly underlined the gulf and Liverpool contemptuously dealt with what looked like the trickiest challenge at Newcastle.

At the moment its top ten 7 bottom ten 1 with no draws- well done the Trotters and the Rams would have joined them if the referee hadn't been so utterly biased against them.

It will be a massive step back for Rovers if we don't take all three points at Craven Cottage tomorrow.

Chelsea surround the ref, screaming and yelling, Terry looks mean enough to take a swing at him, there's a Derby man trying to protect the ref and he's getting tossed and thrown, and then, to top it all off, Terry pikcs up the ball and literally throws it at the ref. I will have to see now if any one who makes up the powers that be do anything about this, or Chelsea not being able to control their players, up 2-0 at this point.

I too was equally appalled - this is what we have for an England captain these days.

It occurred to me that these spoilt primadonnas, being surrounded 24/7 by their agents, hangers-on, sycophantic press corps, Wags and assorted slappers, only ever don't get their own way from a referee. They looked exactly like a three year old throwing a tantrum in the produce aisle of Sainsbury's. I hope the new-found purposeful talking in the FA will finally extend to taking back the game from these apologies for grown men.

These same tossers will no doubt not realise that the spontaneous rejection of them at grounds up and down the country today is a turning point. This never happened to the '73 Ramsey team that didn't qualify and long may it continue.

Watched the Newcastle vs Liverpool game. I will be very disappointed if we get beat by the shambles that was Newcastle. Not a single shot on goal all game. Liverpool weren't even that good, but they didn't have to be. Had Torres not had his boots on the wrong feet he'd have scored a hattrick at least.

In reply to EIT's post -

The reason I can't stand John Terry, whether he is wearing a Chelsea or England shirt. I am not a violent woman, but I have a strong urge to give him a good slap should I ever have the misfortune to meet the blighter. <_<

I too was equally appalled - this is what we have for an England captain these days.

It occurred to me that these spoilt primadonnas, being surrounded 24/7 by their agents, hangers-on, sycophantic press corps, Wags and assorted slappers, only ever don't get their own way from a referee. They looked exactly like a three year old throwing a tantrum in the produce aisle of Sainsbury's. I hope the new-found purposeful talking in the FA will finally extend to taking back the game from these apologies for grown men.

These same tossers will no doubt not realise that the spontaneous rejection of them at grounds up and down the country today is a turning point. This never happened to the '73 Ramsey team that didn't qualify and long may it continue.

It needs to be an instant dismissal and a hefty fine for anyone who abuses the ref. Whilst they are shocking themselves, they do need a modicum of respect from the players and they clearly don't get it. Rugby has it about right - the players never argue with the ref, and the games are generally played in good spirit.

As for the booing, I really, really hope it continues. This group of players have been an absolute disgrace in the England shirts. I could understand a lack of talent, which clearly isn't the case, it's the lack of passion which I cannot tolerate. The biggest game of the season, with all the team needing a draw, and half of them are apathetic for 80 minutes (barring a 10 minute spell just after half time). Gerrard even had the gall to say that he's suffered dissapointment like this for Liverpool: who gives a toss about Liverpool?! You've just failed to qualify from a group you should have walked! It just shows where their allegiances lie, and it's going to take a strong manager to sort it out.

Watched the Newcastle vs Liverpool game. I will be very disappointed if we get beat by the shambles that was Newcastle. Not a single shot on goal all game. Liverpool weren't even that good, but they didn't have to be. Had Torres not had his boots on the wrong feet he'd have scored a hattrick at least.

Yeh but you know how it goes. Newcastle to find their form against us...Owen returning to damage us...

Whilst we have all taken lots of time out of our day to type up our rantings about refs, did anyone watch the Arse and Wigan match. I thought the ref was outstanding in that one, he really let the game flow. He allowed a good bit of physicality an did not blow the whistle every time an Arsenal players went to ground.

It was so refreshing to me I thought we were back in the 70's or 80's. Can't remember the refs name but well done.

Archived