• Kishi
    • Warnock
    • Dunn
    • Reid
    • Bentley
    • Tugay
    • Pedersen
    • Santa Cruz

Well it's been a quiet week in Lake Wobegon, Minnesota, my home town, out on the edge of the prairie...

Wait, wrong forum.

Okay, it's been a hellish week in Blackburn, Lancashire, home of my heart, out near 4000 holes. Two losses on the bounce including, by far, the weirdest game of the weekend have left Rovers sitting 9th and looking a bit adrift. Chelsea also lost to Arsenal and have now suffered their first loss of the Avram Grant era.

The last 2 months of the year have been rather vexatious for Rovers in the Hughes era. We've managed just 2 wins in 4 years in November. Over the last 3 years, Rovers have started December the same way each time - 1 win and 2 losses, and in each instance have rebounded to win 3 in the latter half of the month. November must be when Sparky takes a mental vacation, because we're just plain bad when the weather starts to get cold. But apparently the gaffer makes his annual trip to the coat store during his Christmas shopping, because we've ended December well each year (discounting, of course, his first).

Rovers will be without the services of Andre Ooijer (injury), Chris Samba (5th yellow of season), and Brett Emerton (red). Chelsea will be without Didier Drogba (knee) and possibly John Terry (ankle), though Florent Malouda and Michael Ballack are projected to be fit. Whether they play will remain to be seen, but Chelsea will no doubt be looking to find SOME offense. They haven't been able to lay more than 2 goals on a Premiership opponent since the first of November. In addition, after their previous two losses, Chelsea have only managed 0-0 draws at home to rebound (first, of course, to us, and then to a rather woeful Fulham).

So there is some cause for hope, as we are at home, Chelsea's offense is rather anemic at the moment, and we're going into what has proven to be a fruitful period over the last few years.

Both sides have Carling Cup draws at home, and to top 4 sides. We have Arsenal and Chelsea have Liverpool. Thankfully for our Prem hopes (though perhaps not so much for the Carling) our match is tomorrow, and so we should have an extra day of rest, and will avoid travelling.

It is traditional in these previews to go and interview a supporter from the other side to get their perspective. I, however, am more suicidal than that, and wrangled an invitation to the Texas Blues Holiday Party in my hometown. Yes, it was me, in kit, and 50+ drunken Chelsea supporters at Fado. I tried to get coherent statements about the game from them, but instead was pinned to a wall by my neck by a rather large drunken man. After persuading him that I had, in fact, been invited, he released me. That was when I decided to stop trying to interview people, and start drinking, because it wasn't worth the physical pain. So I have no words of wisdom from the other side this week. I did, however, manage to win a door prize. Anyone want a Shevchenko kit? I hear it makes great bog roll...

Chants for the weekend:

He's old,

He's glum,

He's not The Special One,

Avram Grant! Avram Grant!

We sacked Mourinho, We sacked Mourinho...

Prediction: 2-0 Rovers.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sweet preview. I think Chris Samba sits out the Arsenal game so it is only Bert who will be missing on Saturday (or it might be the other way round but we definitely only have one of them suspended).

I cannot see this one being eleven v eleven at full time no matter who the referee is. My team prediction is we will go 4-5-1 (to the angst of El Tombro)with the Axe lying deep and Roque on his own up front despite various midfielders (Dunn and Reid) being told to bomb forwards at the right time. No place anywhere for Roberts, Sav and Benni on the bench and MGP getting a final final chance. Chelsea will play their usual 4-5-1 to better effect than we will but going against their midfield 5 with a powder puff 4 will be good bye any chance we had of getting anything out of this game.

Not saying how it should be, just guessing how it will be before I am dismembered...

It will be grim, 1-0 and its a toss of the referee's coin as to who to.

Sweet preview. I think Chris Samba sits out the Arsenal game so it is only Bert who will be missing on Saturday (or it might be the other way round but we definitely only have one of them suspended).

I cannot see this one being eleven v eleven at full time no matter who the referee is. My team prediction is we will go 4-5-1 (to the angst of El Tombro)with the Axe lying deep and Roque on his own up front despite various midfielders (Dunn and Reid) being told to bomb forwards at the right time. No place anywhere for Roberts, Sav and Benni on the bench and MGP getting a final final chance. Chelsea will play their usual 4-5-1 to better effect than we will but going against their midfield 5 with a powder puff 4 will be good bye any chance we had of getting anything out of this game.

Not saying how it should be, just guessing how it will be before I am dismembered...

It will be grim, 1-0 and its a toss of the referee's coin as to who to.

Chelsea played a 4-3-3 this weekend with Pizarro/Schevchenko/Cole up front. I don't know if Ballack's return will affect that. I'd predict another 4-3-3, and maybe even some 4-2-4 wackiness with Malouda up front as well, though I can't imagine that would come into play until after the 65th.

Good read.

Some "latest" team news, Samba Ooijer OUT, Emerton IN. For Chelsea, Dogbreath and Terry definately OUT, cavallho,Malouda,ballack all unlikely to feature, Lampard facing a fitness test for the midweek game v Liverpoo whilst Essien may return.

Its an intriguing fixture and one that Chelsea cannot complete a double. Rovers have to be patient and depending on how Tuesday goes with Arsenal its a fixture that they cannot afford to be lax in.

The midfield of Chelsea is overloaded with star footballers and is undoubtedly a midfield full of quality, down the right flank they have speed in SWP. On the left they have the tricky Cole. Up front they have the most expensive flop import wise in Chevvy chase who will no doubt be partnered by either Kalou or Pizzarro.

The defence will have Ben Haim and Alex in he central positions whilst at full back we have Ashley Cole and Ferriera, no doubt their subs bench will be worth more than BRFC will ever be.

So, how can we win it ? On paper we have no chance. Rovers have to be up for it and can not afford any passengers for the Sunday afternoon entertainment. I dont see a Rovers win as we hit a downwards spiral and I dont see an end to the mini slump. With a visit to City and Derby on the horizon its a game that Rovers have to get something out of as we all know that Derby will get their first win at home against us and we all know that City will get their 10 out of 10 when we visit them. JHC even Sunderland might get an away win at Ewood Park !!!

Rovers on a downer, the worlds gone mad, Christmas is coming and the Turkeys are facing the knife !

Happy Christmas everyone, I cant go to the game, 3rd game on the bounce I miss and I expect nothing more than a big defeat.

3-0 Chelsea <_<

Good read.

Some "latest" team news, Samba Ooijer OUT, Emerton IN. For Chelsea, Dogbreath and Terry definately OUT, cavallho,Malouda,ballack all unlikely to feature, Lampard facing a fitness test for the midweek game v Liverpoo whilst Essien may return.

Its an intriguing fixture and one that Chelsea cannot complete a double. Rovers have to be patient and depending on how Tuesday goes with Arsenal its a fixture that they cannot afford to be lax in.

The midfield of Chelsea is overloaded with star footballers and is undoubtedly a midfield full of quality, down the right flank they have speed in SWP. On the left they have the tricky Cole. Up front they have the most expensive flop import wise in Chevvy chase who will no doubt be partnered by either Kalou or Pizzarro.

The defence will have Ben Haim and Alex in he central positions whilst at full back we have Ashley Cole and Ferriera, no doubt their subs bench will be worth more than BRFC will ever be.

So, how can we win it ? On paper we have no chance. Rovers have to be up for it and can not afford any passengers for the Sunday afternoon entertainment. I dont see a Rovers win as we hit a downwards spiral and I dont see an end to the mini slump. With a visit to City and Derby on the horizon its a game that Rovers have to get something out of as we all know that Derby will get their first win at home against us and we all know that City will get their 10 out of 10 when we visit them. JHC even Sunderland might get an away win at Ewood Park !!!

Rovers on a downer, the worlds gone mad, Christmas is coming and the Turkeys are facing the knife !

Happy Christmas everyone, I cant go to the game, 3rd game on the bounce I miss and I expect nothing more than a big defeat.

3-0 Chelsea <_<

Thankfully that cant happern.

I bet Avram and his merry men are really cacking themselves after watching tonights performance against Arsenals kids !! I wonder if they are also considering send up their youth team as they rest their first 22 !!!

Looking at our performances, their youth team or ladies outfit would roll us over. :wacko:

The cause of the 3 stupidly conceded goals last night will not be there; Samba suspended and Reid will not be right back.

Replace Savage with Reid, Derbyshire with Roberts, replicate last night's second half's desire and we will give them a game.

Otherwise forget it.

The cause of the 3 stupidly conceded goals last night will not be there; Samba suspended and Reid will not be right back.

Replace Savage with Reid, Derbyshire with Roberts, replicate last night's second half's desire and we will give them a game.

Otherwise forget it.

I agree with that. But it all depends on Roberts' state of mind.

Can we raise our game for this one? will it be yet another 45 minute horror show that kills off the game for us?

I'm afraid our side is looking very weak and fragile at the moment and its plain for all to see where the problems lie....unfortunately Hughes has little to no backup in terms of quality on the bench to offer a solution to the current defensive and midfield crisis.

ROBERTS MUST START!

1-1

Att 23,700

Good news on Terry being injured, however I'm not confident for this. Even Shevchenko could score against us.

Well, if I have this right we will be without - Warnock/Samba/Bert MK II (or is he just back to being Bert again) and Andre the Clown. So Shev should be able to bag one or two.

Sav misses Citeh as well doesn't he because he picked up yellow number 5.

These Chelsea buying Benni links are presumably because somebody has spotted this fixture in the calendar.

Ballack is back and starting against Liverpool tonight so Terry is replaced by a much better footballer.

Got absolutely no expectation of getting much out of this. We are a shadow of our formerselves, plus most of our side is going to be absolutely knackered after 120 mins against Arsenal.

Samba out could be a blessing as he needas a rest, but Zurab must be rusty as hell, and Nelsen is still looking very slow. WHats the deal with that? Emerton is having a mare defensively and he is a confidence player as much as anyone so it is not a great hope. But what are our other options. Team I would go for, seeing as Savage is out too:

----------Santa-----Roberts

--MGP-------Dunn----Reid------Bentley

Warnock----Nelsen---Zurab---Emerton

--------------------Freidal

3-1 Chelsea. More signs of attacking cohesion with us but the defence still all over the place gifting at least one goal. I really wish Ooijer hadn't got injured.

It's easy.... My first choice 11 is;

Brad Friedel - Peter Enckelman - Jason Brown- Frank Fielding - Gunnar Nielsen

Zurab Khizanishvili - Stephane Henchoz - Tony Kane - Stephen Warnock - Christopher Samba - Ryan Nelsen

Wasn't sure about Samba as he has been dribbling the ball forward a bit lately...

It's easy.... My first choice 11 is;

Brad Friedel - Peter Enckelman - Jason Brown- Frank Fielding - Gunnar Nielsen

Zurab Khizanishvili - Stephane Henchoz - Tony Kane - Stephen Warnock - Christopher Samba - Ryan Nelsen

Wasn't sure about Samba as he has been dribbling the ball forward a bit lately...

He's suspended anyhow :lol:

Anywhos, really cant see us winning this one.

Rovers 1 Chelsea 3 Att 20,501

Archived