BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Keegan Newcastle Manager!

What a laughing stock Newcastle have become! How many managers have had a shot up there the last couple of years? It is clear that the people running the club have no clue what they are doing. Keegan will be out of the door in the summer or after a good couple of games into the season.

Hopefully they will still be idiots up there and stay away from Hughes when going for a new manager.

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's great to see them failing so miserably. Whenever King Kev was brought back, Newcastle fans were looking at him as if he were the next Messiah. But so far the team have been just as crap for Kev as they were for Sam. I wonder how long it will be before the fans that you saw dancing around outside St James Park when he returned will be shouting for his head? This club has gone to the dogs!

As much as its hilarious watching Newcastle fail, i cant help but be worried if they do that Hughes will be linked yet again in summer. so i kind of want them to pick up and finish with a bit of a decent run. Thats coming from a guy who lives in Middlesbrough so keeps one eye on boro results because all my mates support em!

• 3 weeks later...

Keegan disillusioned after just five weeks

This is starting to go pear-shaped even quicker than I thought it would.

I think Mark Hughes has had a lucky escape here. If he had left Ewood last month to become Newcastle manager and the owners had started to interfere in the selection of his assistants, I think Hughes would have gone mad.

Keegan disillusioned after just five weeks

This is starting to go pear-shaped even quicker than I thought it would.

I think Mark Hughes has had a lucky escape here. If he had left Ewood last month to become Newcastle manager and the owners had started to interfere in the selection of his assistants, I think Hughes would have gone mad.

Well, according to him today Mark Hughes is quite happy where he is, and certainly not upset at not having been offered the job.

Well, according to him today Mark Hughes is quite happy where he is, and certainly not upset at not having been offered the job.

Easy to say when there's nothing on the table.

Our manager made it abundantly clear that he'd have been off given half a chance. To try to convince yourself otherwise is folly.

Easy to say when there's nothing on the table.

Our manager made it abundantly clear that he'd have been off given half a chance. To try to convince yourself otherwise is folly.

Yes, he's going to be like our dog used to be and jump into the first steaming pile of poo he can find.

He did?

You dont think so? I would say his persistent refusal to rule himself out, despite being given numerous chances, spoke volumes. He was never going to come out and say he wanted to go, but what he actually did was a near as dammit.

I still think Newcastle made a massive mistake in letting Allardyce go. Much as I dislike the fact he managed Bolton, he got results despite the fact his teams weren't exactly pretty to watch. The magpies could really regret letting him go come the end of the season. If we're going to qualify for Europe we have to win. Got a feeling it'll be a draw. 1-1.

You dont think so? I would say his persistent refusal to rule himself out, despite being given numerous chances, spoke volumes. He was never going to come out and say he wanted to go, but what he actually did was a near as dammit.

You are very wrong in that partcular interpretation.

On the Friday press conference which was the only regular scheduled time he speaks to the press on generalities he said he wasn't interested, said BFS is a good a manager who would quickly get another job and criticised Newcastle for not giving BFS enough time.

The Rovers style is very much to say things to the press once and once only, not only in this but many other matters as well.

The fact the press has acres of newsprint to fill and therefore repeat themselves ad nauseum means there is always the risk of them analysing precise words and drawing all kinds of conclusions if you repeat yourself- he paused between words, used a different tense etc- and woops they interpret Mark Hughes as less emphatic about not going to Newcastle then morphs into "come and get me" when he has said nothing of the sort.

By and large no Manager criticises any other club's ownership as owners are thin skinned creatures who would immediately fear that manager might criticise them if appointed (look at Mike Newell's job prospects). Sparky went as close to criticising the Mike Ashley regime as he sensibly could. All the press treated his comments as ruling himself out when he made them and only resurrected his "candidacy" when lacking anything else to write about during the unfurling Newcastle soap. He never again became front runner for the job.

I have to say that I agree with this post, T4E. I too was very worried at first when Hughes didn't rule himself out but, as Philip says, the press conference really put paid to the possibility of him leaving.

Well I really wish I could allow myself to put a positive spin on the way Mr Hughes acted throughout the whole situation, but I can't without feeling I'm kidding myself.

Philip - you say that Hughes said at the first press conference that he wasn't interested. I don't recall this. I believe he said he'd had no contact and didn't expect to have. Not quite the same thing. If you can show me where Hughes said he wasn't interested in the Newcastle job, even once, then I would be very very VERY pleased to be wrong.

You are very wrong in that partcular interpretation.

On the Friday press conference which was the only regular scheduled time he speaks to the press on generalities he said he wasn't interested, said BFS is a good a manager who would quickly get another job and criticised Newcastle for not giving BFS enough time.

The Rovers style is very much to say things to the press once and once only, not only in this but many other matters as well.

The fact the press has acres of newsprint to fill and therefore repeat themselves ad nauseum means there is always the risk of them analysing precise words and drawing all kinds of conclusions if you repeat yourself- he paused between words, used a different tense etc- and woops they interpret Mark Hughes as less emphatic about not going to Newcastle then morphs into "come and get me" when he has said nothing of the sort.

By and large no Manager criticises any other club's ownership as owners are thin skinned creatures who would immediately fear that manager might criticise them if appointed (look at Mike Newell's job prospects). Sparky went as close to criticising the Mike Ashley regime as he sensibly could. All the press treated his comments as ruling himself out when he made them and only resurrected his "candidacy" when lacking anything else to write about during the unfurling Newcastle soap. He never again became front runner for the job.

What a load of utter tosh.

Read the verbatim after-match interview from the Bolton [away] game when the manager was put on the spot. This was in the LET after those nasty tabloids had done the story on the Monday.

This selective memory thing and 'blame the media' becomes a real pain in the ass.

The manager was asked to rule himself out - specifically - and would not do so.

Let's not get all smug and re-write history.

What a load of utter tosh.

Read the verbatim after-match interview from the Bolton [away] game when the manager was put on the spot. This was in the LET after those nasty tabloids had done the story on the Monday.

This selective memory thing and 'blame the media' becomes a real pain in the ass.

The manager was asked to rule himself out - specifically - and would not do so.

Let's not get all smug and re-write history.

I mean it would really be unfiar to say that EACH and EVERYONE of the PAPERS, EACH and EVERY EXPERT in the field of Football GOT IT WRONG as well didnt they.

EVERYMAN and his dog state that HUGHSEY was the NUFC manager elect and each and everyone of them were WRONG including you my friend.

:rolleyes:

I mean it would really be unfiar to say that EACH and EVERYONE of the PAPERS, EACH and EVERY EXPERT in the field of Football GOT IT WRONG as well didnt they.

EVERYMAN and his dog state that HUGHSEY was the NUFC manager elect and each and everyone of them were WRONG including you my friend.

:rolleyes:

Check the quotes.

And while you are it see if you can find any time when I said your manager was going to Newcastle.

It was, in fact, the opposite.

Toys out of the pram nicko?

I did not suggest you did say Sparky was going to Newcastle as I know you didn't. However, you haver been known to complain that the club has been taciturn when it comes to speaking with the press.

These are horse's mouth statements.

Mark Hughes' first scheduled press conference after BFS was fired.

After 'Arry rejected the Toon job:

Hughes speaking to Sky following the Bolton game.

Might not be in the "I'm not ###### going to that ###### pile of ######" category but clearly saying he has a better bet at Ewood than at St James and quite honestly he is being proven correct in that judgement call. Those are just about the only times sparky said anything remotely close to being drawn on the matter. Nothing much compared with the acres of newsprint and gigabytes of newsthreads, blogs and MB threads taken up but I guess that is why the Rovers are extremely economical with what they say.

Toys out of the pram nicko?

I did not suggest you did say Sparky was going to Newcastle as I know you didn't. However, you haver been known to complain that the club has been taciturn when it comes to speaking with the press.

These are horse's mouth statements.

Mark Hughes' first scheduled press conference after BFS was fired.

After 'Arry rejected the Toon job:

Hughes speaking to Sky following the Bolton game.

Might not be in the "I'm not ###### going to that ###### pile of ######" category but clearly saying he has a better bet at Ewood than at St James and quite honestly he is being proven correct in that judgement call. Those are just about the only times sparky said anything remotely close to being drawn on the matter. Nothing much compared with the acres of newsprint and gigabytes of newsthreads, blogs and MB threads taken up but I guess that is why the Rovers are extremely economical with what they say.

Have we forgotten the word-for-word interview to the press - rather than to a TV man with a mike and a lot of fanny questions?

The LET carried the proper press conference the next day. It was there for all to see.

To change the stance the manager took and turn it into some managerial triumph is bordering on the ridiculous.

He didn't have a judgement call because he wasn't offered the job.

What he could have said - 'Count me out' would have done - went unsaid.

Many noticed that and drew their own conclusions.

Archived