BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Keegan Newcastle Manager!

lets call it what it is though....Hughes is still in charge because Newcastle over-looked him. he knows that he needs Champions League for the Man Utd gig and to get that on a sustained basis he is unfortuantely going to have to leave

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chuffed to bits at this. If Keegaan wasn't around Hughes would have gone. In the end we still have our manager, the Geordies have their hero, Ashley will make some money, and the rest of the Premier League can laugh at Newcastle's 2-2-6 formation. Every game they play will guarantee goals; usually for the oppostion.

What I did find strange was that Keegan had been running a soccer school in Scotland. An ex England international player and manager who's not short of brass teaching kids how to dribble around cones, all in a country that despises English football. Does that not seem odd to anyone else?

If Keegaan wasn't around Hughes would have gone.

I think their shortlist had a few more names on it and i think other managers would have been ahead of Hughes. According to some reports Keegan wasn't even on the shortlist written up by Mort and then Ashley added him in and started negotiations. :rover:

lets call it what it is though....Hughes is still in charge because Newcastle over-looked him.

We do not know whether he would have accepted the job. What we can be pretty sure of is that he would have listened to what they have to say. Cannot really blame him to be honest...it is his career after all. Hughes has a cushy little number set up at Ewood so it would have to be a good offer.

We have to accept that a tempting enough offer would be enough to prise Hughes away but that doesnt mean any old offer and he is out the door.

Not bottle it - just relaying the fact its not that long ago they where above us - and just showing how quickly it couldhapepn again if we continue in the same fashion that we have done for the last two months.

What if they continue in the same fashion too?

lets call it what it is though....Hughes is still in charge because Newcastle over-looked him.

Chuffed to bits at this. If Keegaan wasn't around Hughes would have gone.

Are you two working on the theory that if you repeat something often enough then maybe some will start to believe you. If you do not know that to be fact, which I am sure that you don't, then you are insulting Mark Hughes big time.

Proof required please, or start your posts with 'imo'.

What if they continue in the same fashion too?

What do you reckon Theno - made easy work of a decent Stoke side doing well in the Championship the other night.

Contrast that with our performance against a Coventry side not doing well and it a bit of a turmoil.

As mentioned they are not as far away as some people think.

I thought they got to a point behind us but I don't remember them ever passing us. The lowest we have been I can remember is 10th when West Ham passed us. Might be wrong though.

Surprised me as well MB

The reason I know is that I was away just after Xmas throughout the New year and just before we played Derby I had got a newspaper on the Sunday and I nearly fell of my chair when I saw it.

All it needs is a couple of performances like we have put in recently , could well see it happen again if the Geordie train begins to roll.

Only time will tell and I doubt it - but people seem to be writing them off completely.

I don't think any sensible people are writing them off completely however my argument is that the appointment has been made purely to please the baying mob. From a football perspective it is an appalling appointment based on his record for the last 7 or 8 years. Especially when you consider that 2 months ago Keegan was saying he couldn't ever see himself getting back into management and he stated he hasn't really watched any football for 2 years.

As for whether they finish above us, i'd be surprised but wouldn't write it off. However if the ambition of Newcastle is to finish above the mighty Rovers then I think it's a poor show.

I don't think any sensible people are writing them off completely however my argument is that the appointment has been made purely to please the baying mob. From a football perspective it is an appalling appointment based on his record for the last 7 or 8 years. Especially when you consider that 2 months ago Keegan was saying he couldn't ever see himself getting back into management and he stated he hasn't really watched any football for 2 years.

As for whether they finish above us, i'd be surprised but wouldn't write it off. However if the ambition of Newcastle is to finish above the mighty Rovers then I think it's a poor show.

Totally agree :tu:

Just copied this from the letters page of Football365.com

Anyone argue with it?

Perhaps the hoards of miserable pessimists lining up to mock Newcastles appointment of Kevin Keegan should give the guy a break.

He took Newcastle from a team who were worse than Grimsby, Tranmere, Southend and Cambridge United to a team that won the 1st division and then came 3rd, 6th, 2nd and 2nd in the Premier League.

He then helped Fulham win the 2nd Division in the following season before becoming England manager.

Having failed to win anything with the perenial underachievers of the national side he then became Man City boss and took a side relegated from the Premier League straight back up as Champions. They then finished mid-table, followed by a poor season in which they finished in the bottom half of the table. In his last season at City they finished mid-table again.

As far as I can see, Keegan's been nothing short of sensational at club level and has left every team he's managed in a far better situation than when he took over. His team's also play attacking, attractive football.

Was he "sensational" at Man City, then?

I like teh way his time with England was skirted neatly round, I think even the England team of Howard wilkinson looked better than Keggy Keegles.

Man City were down in the doldrums once more when he took over, Newcastle had a rich benefactor and again, were below their natural level, Fulham had the Phoney Pharoah ready to part with a lot of cash, totally disproportionate to Fulham's peers. So not too hard to leave those teams in better shape than he found them.

So I would have to take issue with the sentiments of that letter.

I have nothing personal against Keegan (although the hype does stick in the throat a bit), and he's not without his merits. And actually, it should be fun having him back in the Premiership.

But he does have his faults, tactical naivety being one of them, which does make for compelling viewing when Newcastle will be on teh box!

Spot on Bryan, completely agree. On a personal level I think Keggy is very entertaining and good fun. As a manager he is a million miles from sensational and some of the sentimental claptrap spouted is sickening. As you say the England issue is skirted around to say the least, least succesful England manager ever by the way.

As for Citeh, it was Joe Royle that rescued them from the doldrums of Division 2 and got them to the Premiership. Keegan carried on his good work but he hardly rescued them. As has been said he was heavily backed at both Newcastle and Fulham and still achieved nothing so how that is sensational is beyond me.

He is a good motivator i'm sure but an awful tactician. As for being a great entertainer, well if I went out and got defenders like Darren Peacock coupled with quality attackers i'd expect 4-3 most weeks.

we so much for the goals galore at st james park, 0-0! Looks as though king kev has sorted out the defence.

..sorted out the defence playing against a team with 1 half good striker!

Not quite the start they were expecting eh?

Call me a Doubting Thomas, but for an annointed resurrected Messiah, King Kev seemed to have a strangely haunted expression on his face yesterday. What price before the palm-waving Geordies place the Crown of Thorns on to the head of their proclaimed King before the cockerel crows three times?

Meanwhile a paranoid 'Geordie Nation' has turned it's bile against the media. Virtually every media outlet seems to be infested with self-important xenophobic drones blaming the media for intruding on their private grief & introducing the heresy of realism to their royal soap opera.

What next for King Kev: Coronation Street? :rolleyes:

Archived