BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Keegan Newcastle Manager!

Dennis Wise as director of football???

Totally bemused by this, never really understood what the role entailed (negotiating with agents? organising friendlies? organising who gets the best parking space in teh car park?) It doesn't seem to be a very influential role, certainly no influence over team affairs.

So is Wise there as a stalking horse????

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Meanwhilst Leeds fans are giving it "We're a bigger club than Newcastle

That's probably true. A bit like watching a car crash I've been keeping half an eye on Leeds this season, trouble is Wise has been doing a very good job and the gates are usually higher than all but 4 or 5 of the PL clubs. I've no idea what sort of football they play but it works for their situation

Hadn't noticed that fact. As I said it's only been half an eye! One has to admire the way the club has come through an horrendous period of adversity, to start the season at -15 points and be in the play-off positions is an achievement. I'm a touch disappointed though as I hoped for the almost perfect combination of Leeds, Bates and Wise all dropping to the 2nd Division.

Swansea seem to be breaking away nicely but I keep willing Forest or Carlisle to gain some winning consistency to get a chance of keeping Leeds down there another season.

On current form, Leeds will slip out of the play-off places but that's too much to hope for!

Newcastle are employing Wise in an executive position and paying him £1.5m a year. It seems he is Director of Football in all but title and will have responsibility for all transfer activity.

Get this- Newcastle are out recruiting two more non-track suited football executives.

The Guardian asks the obvious question.

Gosh, Sparky must be gutted the call never came to John Williams. :o

So, Keegan has taken Dennis Wise to Newcastle to act as director of football. . . Seems like a strange move to me, directors of football never seem to work that well and Wise has no experience in this role. Newcastle will spend plenty, win little IMO.

I thought the appointment was by the chairman and that Keegan did not have details of it.

It sounds very complicated with the other 2 appointments as well.

3-0 now, after a great strike from Flamini and a dubious but neat third goal by Fabregas.

Watching the game, I sure am glad we don't pay Alan Smith big money to play for us. Damien Duff though, get him back now please.

oh, and Theo Walcott their 3rd sub, Gilberto their 2nd.. Reasonable depth in midfield.

When Kevin Keegan was interviewed on BBC1's "Inside Sport" last October and asked about the possibility of a return to Newcastle as director of football under the then-manager Sam Allardyce, Keegan said: "It's absolutely impossible to give Sam a job at Newcastle and then go and fetch someone who is going to be some sort of threat, it doesn't work."

"Sam would be a fool to let it happen and the guy who goes in would be a fool to accept it. The chairman would be a fool to go and do it too. It doesn't work."

Keegan's views about 'Directors of Football' seemed to be clear. "It doesn't work," he said.

Asked about Dennis Wise's role on Monday, Keegan said: "I really do not know everything".

"Sam Allardyce has to stay as our manager," says Nicky Butt

"Things will never improve unless the manager is given time here," says Butt.

Newcastle though don't give their managers time. They've had over ten different managers in the period that Alex Ferguson has been at Old Trafford. Newcastle United are symbolic of instability and madness. Sacking Bobby Robson after he'd given them Champions League football and three successive top five finishes in the Premiership, and replacing him with Graeme Souness, was madness.

What were Newcastle expecting from Robson - the Premiership and the FA Cup every year ?

Nicky Butt says: "If you look at all the big teams, like United and Arsenal, they're the clubs that have stood by managers for a long time."

With clowns like the man below in charge, I suspect that Keegan might not be around for all that long.

mike_ashley_newcastle_2.jpg

Keegan said yesterday that he would not buy any foreigners in the transfer window as they take half a season to bed in,and therefore they would not fully settled until the start of next season.

Nothing like planning ahead, look like Newcastle never learn.

Also, apparently they played a centre half (Rozenthal) in midfield to man mark Fabregas. Mark Hughes would have got murdered by the geordies for doing that

Keep it up Kevin - Actually like the fella, but not as a manager

I wonder what makes Wisey so well qualified for this "executive" position. He#s only been a manager for a couple of years and has hardley shone in the time he's had. its insane. The Geordies must be well sick. I just hope that this shambles makes it even harder for them to sign anyone as they are slipping down the league now.

Keegan: "I want Thierry Henry at Newcastle".

Henry might not be entirely happy at Barcelona, but I can't see him being in a rush to swap life at the Nou Camp for life in the North East at a club that hasn't won a trophy since 1969.

If Henry wants to add further medals to his career, then St James' Park is a place which is best avoided.

Newcastle managers and players love talking about what a massive club they are, but in terms of trophies they don't deliver.

so much for the goals flying in left, right and centre! the geordies haven't scored since kk took over!

Fear not! The Rovers Charity Roadshow is due to hit Toon very soon. That dratted Michael Owen alwaysscores against us!

Henry might not be entirely happy at Barcelona, but I can't see him being in a rush to swap life at the Nou Camp for life in the North East at a club that hasn't won a trophy since 1969.

If Henry wants to add further medals to his career, then St James' Park is a place which is best avoided.

Newcastle managers and players love talking about what a massive club they are, but in terms of trophies they don't deliver.

Not having a go mate, but why do you always post as if you are writing a news article? I would have thought the three paragraphs above were as obvious to anyone of us as the nose on our face, I didn't think it needed to be actually said.

Like I said, not ragging, just asking.

• Backroom
I would have thought the three paragraphs above were as obvious to anyone of us as the nose on our face, I didn't think it needed to be actually said.

And if that were the case, that posts were left out because people thought they didn't need to be said, this would be a MB with a lot of empty pages ! :wacko:

Archived