• Warnock
    • Betnley
    • Dunn
    • Reid
    • Pedersen
    • Roberts
    • Santa Cruz
    • Tugay

Thanks for your opinion but i don't agree, especially when I think of some of the rugby tackles John Terry and many others have got away with in the area.

Ya but you have forgotten that Terry plays for Cheski and that means he has a free "get out of a red card pass". It all seems to go back to being a big four player vs being any other player.

Dont get me wrong I did see the foul, and it WAS indeed a foul, and a very stupid one on Sambas part, he sould have known better and seeing as he WAS the last man, Dean HAD to give him the card.

I have to agree with Tony Gales Mic, if it were the other way around we would all be screaming and yelling that it was a PK and that he should have gotten the card. IMO Rovers did well to keep it together, but had it been a better team such and Spurs or Villans I think we would have been a lot more "hard pressed" in the back.

Over all VERY happy with the win and hopfully we will take this and run with it. We still have a very good chance of breaking into that 6th spot so come on you Rovers!!!

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply
aye 35 years + and i know nowt ...

Come on....credit were credit is due for Mike Dean he did have a good game, surely.

It seems so easy to have a go at the referee nowadays, understandable that they can, and do make mistakes, but for me Mike Dean didnt make any critical errors yesterday.

Samba was the stupid fool, yes Ooijer was the root cause but Sambas push could have cost Rovers more points like the ones hes cost us in the previous two games.

The chant 'your not fit to referee' was in appropriate and made the Blackburn end look ignorant and every bit as silly as Samba was.

Saturday's result was important, especially considering that Villa and Pompey both lost. It was great to see Santa Cruz scoring a couple of goals again and this time at Ewood. Bentley was the class player on the pitch. I was happy that Roberts scored as well. He has found games and goals hard to come by this season and even though I think that he has been more affective as an impact sub, he played well on Saturday. I couldn't complain about the penalty and the red card. I was impressed by how we responded to going down to 10 men and were still the better team.

Come on....credit were credit is due for Mike Dean he did have a good game, surely.

It seems so easy to have a go at the referee nowadays, understandable that they can, and do make mistakes, but for me Mike Dean didnt make any critical errors yesterday.

Samba was the stupid fool, yes Ooijer was the root cause but Sambas push could have cost Rovers more points like the ones hes cost us in the previous two games.

The chant 'your not fit to referee' was in appropriate and made the Blackburn end look ignorant and every bit as silly as Samba was.

As I have said earlier Samba left Dean no option* but my grouse with the ref was the fact that a. he allowed Wigan too many indescretions before bringing out his yellow card and a bloody big B. He allowed Scharner to take a running jump into RSC's back whenever the ball was coming to him in the air for the entire match. The one time that Scharner timed his run too late RSC flicked on and Roberts scored.

* btw 2 lessons learnt by young players this weekend.... Samba to keep his hands to himself when he is last man and Freddie Sears learning to follow an attempt on goal in. He did it last week v us and scored, and he didn't do it Sat and handed a lifeline to Everton.

Don't want to prolong this fife, you're generally one of the more sensible posters on here.

I apologise if you thought I replied in an "obscene"** manner, I thought I initially raised a point in a reasonable and non abusive way and I thought you replied in a much less than reasonable manner if I'm being honest.

As regards whether Samba should be dropped, that's a different matter entirely. If Ooijer's daft header had put anyone else in an impossible position, and they'd been sent off instead, and we'd won comfortably, I don't think you'd be calling for Samba to be dropped.

I can however see where you're coming from in that respect, even the player or Mark Hughes would probably concede he isn't playing as well as earlier in the season. I'm sure Mark Hughes would love the luxury of giving him a rest but given the injuries to Nelsen and Emerton the alternative is Henchoz.

I'd rather go with Samba playing a bit below his best to be honest so I'll have to disagree with you there again.

** By the way I didn't find that word particularly offensive when the ventriloquist Ray Allen (was that his name?) and his dummy Lord Charles were using it on children's TV donkey's years ago!

OK Rev; line drawn and let's move on. Regarding the word that I found offensive; I guess I have to accept that the vast majority of people these days use that and similar words all the time. I am from an older and I believe more gentile era, (these days most would think more stuffy) but we will just have to differ on that and I will try to get more thick skinned.

I am afraid there was another contributory factor to my over reaction, which I am not sure you will understand, but I believe it was probably key. That was that I had been following the TV programme "Passion" on BBC1 all the week, and the Good Friday episode upset me so much that I was very,very depressed and moved by it and that feeling had carried through the whole weekend and is in fact still present. Although I have always been a committed Chistian and have studied the Bible and the Gospels all through my life, I have never before come across anything that has made such an impression on me as that episode of Passion on Good Friday night. I don't mind admitting that I cried like a baby as the true meaning of it struck home to me. I am still very upset by the scene, but at the same time so uplifted at the thought that that sacrifice on Calvary was made for ME and in doing so it washed away all my sins. The same applies of course to ALL that truly realise and accept the sacrifice as their own personal salvation.

I appologise if you or any other readers find what I am saying here offensive, but it is for me at least a wonderful revelation.

I won't mention this subject ever again on this site as I know it is not the place to do it, but I just thought you might understand a bit better now.

Ya but you have forgotten that Terry plays for Cheski and that means he has a free "get out of a red card pass". It all seems to go back to being a big four player vs being any other player.

Dont get me wrong I did see the foul, and it WAS indeed a foul, and a very stupid one on Sambas part, he sould have known better and seeing as he WAS the last man, Dean HAD to give him the card.

I have to agree with Tony Gales Mic, if it were the other way around we would all be screaming and yelling that it was a PK and that he should have gotten the card. IMO Rovers did well to keep it together, but had it been a better team such and Spurs or Villans I think we would have been a lot more "hard pressed" in the back.

Over all VERY happy with the win and hopfully we will take this and run with it. We still have a very good chance of breaking into that 6th spot so come on you Rovers!!!

I would of been embarrassed if we got that as a penalty. Makes me less interested in the game when we see incidents such as these. It's football, not The Cupcake Making Hour with Mary Poppins.

I am afraid there was another contributory factor to my over reaction, which I am not sure you will understand, but I believe it was probably key. That was that I had been following the TV programme "Passion" on BBC1 all the week, and the Good Friday episode upset me so much that I was very,very depressed and moved by it and that feeling had carried through the whole weekend and is in fact still present. Although I have always been a committed Chistian and have studied the Bible and the Gospels all through my life, I have never before come across anything that has made such an impression on me as that episode of Passion on Good Friday night. I don't mind admitting that I cried like a baby as the true meaning of it struck home to me. I am still very upset by the scene, but at the same time so uplifted at the thought that that sacrifice on Calvary was made for ME and in doing so it washed away all my sins. The same applies of course to ALL that truly realise and accept the sacrifice as their own personal salvation.

I appologise if you or any other readers find what I am saying here offensive, but it is for me at least a wonderful revelation.

I won't mention this subject ever again on this site as I know it is not the place to do it, but I just thought you might understand a bit better now.

'Ells bells fife! :unsure:

To give the pie-eaters some credit they came to try & play a game of football, not like many teams that come to Ewood (Bolton??). Granted, they were sh1t but it ended up an eventful & enjoyable game because of it.

I took great pleasure in telling my Boltonian ex-girlfriend that 'little' Wigan brought a bigger following than the piggies & are a far better side too. It didn`t go down well ;)

As the players ran out at Anfield for a game against Spurs, Smith passed a piece of paper to Jimmy Greaves. What's this says Greaves. Just open it says Smith. It was a menu from the Liverpool Infirmary!

Classic that :lol:

This whole last man rule still annoys me witht he way it is applied. I am of the opinion this is not the the reason this rule was implemented in the first place, although it seems to be used in the manner it was against Wigan frequently. My understanding was that the rule was brought in to prevent cynical, or professional fouls if you prefer, when a player had broken through and was one on one with the keeper, typically somewhere between the halfway line and the box. It was then very beneficial for the opposing player to just bring down his opponent and give a away only a free kick. I think the rule was drafted in to discourage this type of professional foul.

I do not believe it was intended to be used in penaly box situations when a penalty has been conceded. To me the giving of the penaly is punishment enough. We have seen it so many times the game spoiled by this rule, a penalty and a red card it's silly, it is used according to the "letter of the law" somewhat discriminantly by the refs. Teams like ours always seem to be the victims of this "letter of the law" whilst the "big" teams seem to get the benefit of some "very intelligent reffing".

I don't like it as it is used, I think a Penalty is punishment enough, perhaps a PK and a yellow but to have a game turned on it's head and then have the team that conceded punished further and destroy, in most cases, any chance they have of getting back in the game by sending off one of their players to me is just ludicrous. This is made even more so ludicrous if the player winning the PK has managed to con the ref. The rule needs tweaked to stop the spoiling of games for the fans.

Classic that :lol:

This whole last man rule still annoys me witht he way it is applied. I am of the opinion this is not the the reason this rule was implemented in the first place, although it seems to be used in the manner it was against Wigan frequently. My understanding was that the rule was brought in to prevent cynical, or professional fouls if you prefer, when a player had broken through and was one on one with the keeper, typically somewhere between the halfway line and the box. It was then very beneficial for the opposing player to just bring down his opponent and give a away only a free kick. I think the rule was drafted in to discourage this type of professional foul.

I do not believe it was intended to be used in penaly box situations when a penalty has been conceded. To me the giving of the penaly is punishment enough. We have seen it so many times the game spoiled by this rule, a penalty and a red card it's silly, it is used according to the "letter of the law" somewhat discriminantly by the refs. Teams like ours always seem to be the victims of this "letter of the law" whilst the "big" teams seem to get the benefit of some "very intelligent reffing".

I don't like it as it is used, I think a Penalty is punishment enough, perhaps a PK and a yellow but to have a game turned on it's head and then have the team that conceded punished further and destroy, in most cases, any chance they have of getting back in the game by sending off one of their players to me is just ludicrous. This is made even more so ludicrous if the player winning the PK has managed to con the ref. The rule needs tweaked to stop the spoiling of games for the fans.

An excellent post USA Blue. Not knowing the modern day interpretations of the laws, I can't say whether you are 100% right or not, but I certainly agree with your argument and that it ought to be that way. Perhaps if there is a qualified ref in the house they could explain it in the official interpretation.

Has anybody else noticed Andy Neild's match report in todays Telegraph?

Now I know the job of the Rovers reporter is not to be a PR man for the club, but his comments re Bentley were unbelievable.

Quotes-

'With Bentley in no rush to sign a new deal'

Really? It was your very self Mr Neild all last week saying he was on the verge of signing.

Now a lot of the piece was based on the comments of Roque, who did a good job himself of pushing him out of the door, but the whole article to me was trying to put across the view that little Rovers should be greatful to have such a talent and its a matter of time till he takes himself to the next level.

WHY? Why should every player of quality have to go to FOUR clubs, we know it happens and will contibue to happen and nationally I expect nothing else from the media, but to read it in my own local paper sickens me. Does the Telegraph want a thriving football club in its region or not? Is it now out of the realms of all posibility that top players can play for clubs apart from Liverpool, Chelsea, Utd and Arsenal, if so what is the point of it all?

When/if Bentley does go, I am sure Neild and Plunkett will be penning editorals lamenting the domination of the 'Grand Slammers', yet they are part of the problem, real football fans are sick and tired of the same old cartel at the top of football, but even Blackburn's own newspaper has given up the fight.

WHY? Why should every player of quality have to go to FOUR clubs, we know it happens and will contibue to happen and nationally I expect nothing else from the media, but to read it in my own local paper sickens me. Does the Telegraph want a thriving football club in its region or not? Is it now out of the realms of all posibility that top players can play for clubs apart from Liverpool, Chelsea, Utd and Arsenal, if so what is the point of it all?

Very good question, one that I have been wondering myself recently.

With reference to the Samba sending off. Why was he caught wrong side of the attacker yet again (think back to Fulham and the foul leading to the equaliser). For me he's guilty of the defender's cardinal sin, 'ball watching' far too often.

Had he been in the correct position, ie - between Heskey and the goal, there'd be no debate now.

It's to be hoped that the rest will do him good, but judging from his outburst on Dunny (where D.D was totally justified) last week I'm led to believe Mr. Samba may be getting a little bit big for his boots.

With reference to the Samba sending off. Why was he caught wrong side of the attacker yet again (think back to Fulham and the foul leading to the equaliser). For me he's guilty of the defender's cardinal sin, 'ball watching' far too often.

This was something I mentioned about on Saturday - even before the sending off Samba was looking rather dodgey, and as what has already been said has been for quite a few games.

How anybody can blame OOjer for the header is beyond me as he should be going for the ball, and if not Samba should have been positioning himself accordingly or shouting to OOjer.

Anyway as USRover me has posted - I think the sending off worked to our advantage for the very reason about Samba being poor.

Samba was stupid and Heskey may have gone down easily , but if he had any nous would have realised that Heskey was already wobbling on his knees and Friedal would have had him fo breakfast/dinner and tea... -don't know if anybody else has noticed though Kish also had a tendency to manhandle opponents quite alot - there was no need for him to even whisper at him never mind itch his back

As for the rest of the game, well done the rest of the lads who where exceptional with some outstanding performances..

As for the ref ... sorry JAL but he was very poor in terms of reffing the game and I am in agreement with Theno about his whole performance.

As we all know, it was the best performance for a long time (the best this season for me at home) so the question has to be asked where it has been hiding, especially when we did it with 10 men.

As for the ref ... sorry JAL but he was very poor in terms of reffing the game and I am in agreement with Theno about his whole performance.

Thanks for that LeChuck......

.........but I cannot agree with you re: Ouijer

"How anybody can blame OOjer for the header is beyond me as he should be going for the ball, and if not Samba should have been positioning himself accordingly or shouting to OOjer."

It was a ridiculous header from a position of relative safety right back into the danger area. Not enough pace to take it to Brad, the direction would have forced Samba to run back towards his own goal anyway with Heskey on his shoulder. Basically a quick nod into row 10 would have been a. by far the safest and b. the most professional option.

Thanks for that LeChuck......

.........but I cannot agree with you re: Ouijer

"How anybody can blame OOjer for the header is beyond me as he should be going for the ball, and if not Samba should have been positioning himself accordingly or shouting to OOjer."

It was a ridiculous header from a position of relative safety right back into the danger area. Not enough pace to take it to Brad, the direction would have forced Samba to run back towards his own goal anyway with Heskey on his shoulder. Basically a quick nod into row 10 would have been a. by far the safest and b. the most professional option.

Just going from memory here but did he not have a challenge from a Wigan player at the time, I could be wrong but I'm certain he only just got the top of his head to it and Samba was too close so either should have been calling that it was his ball or backed off as mentioned

I said at the time that Ooijer was in the wrong but Samba was most culpable. At worst Ooijer contributed to us losing a goal, Samba could easily have cost us the game. It was a mistake by Ooijer but as Capt K says he was under pressure, hence why he misdirected his header and didn't get full contact. However why Samba wasn't goalside of Heskey is beyone me, once he made that mistake however to compound it by pulling Heskey back, when he could easily have missed the chance was criminal.

Ooijer only just managed to get the top of his head to the ball. It was one of those things that happen. He wasn't trying to do anything clever.

Samba couldn't have known that Ooijer was only going to get the faintest touch, so I reckon a lot of people are being unfair to both ooijer and Samba.

This was something I mentioned about on Saturday - even before the sending off Samba was looking rather dodgey, and as what has already been said has been for quite a few games.

How anybody can blame OOjer for the header is beyond me as he should be going for the ball, and if not Samba should have been positioning himself accordingly or shouting to OOjer.

Anyway as USRover me has posted - I think the sending off worked to our advantage for the very reason about Samba being poor.

Samba was stupid and Heskey may have gone down easily , but if he had any nous would have realised that Heskey was already wobbling on his knees and Friedal would have had him fo breakfast/dinner and tea... -don't know if anybody else has noticed though Kish also had a tendency to manhandle opponents quite alot - there was no need for him to even whisper at him never mind itch his back

As for the rest of the game, well done the rest of the lads who where exceptional with some outstanding performances..

As we all know, it was the best performance for a long time (the best this season for me at home) so the question has to be asked where it has been hiding, especially when we did it with 10 men.

Fair enough, i think that referees performances in general are not going to get much better than what we witnessed in Mike Dean on saturday, i really dont i cant see how it can improve without more outside help :rover: .

Archived