BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Derby Preview

Drab? Okay so we have had some poor form but as I've said we're going to finish 3 or 4 places higher than we did last season.

It's been a fantastic season all in all in the league, just been disappointing in the cups.

Yup, how often can you say that it would have been fantastic if the Big 4 had won a cup or two this season?

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very good comeback from us in the second half in terms of performance. We should have had 5 or 6.

Roberts is a hardworking player but he isnt a top quality finisher and it shows in matches where he gets 3 or 4 chances. He missed a couple of 1 on 1 opportunities today which a quality player would have put away at this level. Bentley with one moment of magic to create the third but he was largely ineffective and quiet until late in the second half. Pedersen with an improved performance and he looked dangerous today.

We have a chance but it wouldnt have been helped with Brum fighting for their very lives, cause we need a win there!

A rampant second half performance by the Rovers (we could have scored double figures) made up for an appalling first 45 mins.Roque Santa Cruz I salute you!!!!

The final game is going to be VERY interesting indeed eh 'BIG CLUB' :D

Tugay appeared to wipe away a tear or two during the post match team walk around..............................

So let's get this straight -

Premier League applicants for this summer's Intertoto Cup are:

Everton

Villa

Blackburn

Man City

Spurs

So to qualify we need to WIN at Birmingham next Sunday, and hope West Ham manage AT LEAST A DRAW at home to Villa.

Am I right..?

Everton

Villa

Blackburn

Man City

Spurs

So to qualify we need to WIN at Birmingham next Sunday, and hope West Ham manage AT LEAST A DRAW at home to Villa.

Am I right..?

Yep

Though if by some miracle Man City get a result from the Liverpool game they will be on the same points as us. City have to play Boro final game of the season.

Everton

Villa

Blackburn

Man City

Spurs

Am I right..?

Yup, that's what we need. With that set of events we're in the Intertoto Cup, however if both of those don't happen, Villa get the Intertoto spot. Man City would need points tomorrow vs Liverpool, otherwise they have no chance at qualifyign for Intertoto, and Spurs have already qualified for the UEFA Cup due to winning the Carling Cup.

Just watched the highlights.

Derby had one up and nobody was with him- what was that all about for their goal?

Roque supreme again, Jason popped one away but his other failures when clean through just show he is only playing because Benni is out of sorts and injured and Matty needs a double hernia. I am sure he will be 4th choice striker next season.

At least we negotiated that hurdle and (Rovermatt we don't want you self-harming so avert your eyes now) came back from behind to beat Derby for a second time this season.

So anywhere between 6th and 9th finishing position remains possible- and at a shade over £700k a place makes the Brum game worth over £2m to Rovers next Sunday.

And what a great gate today- 26,110. Well done everybody!

It does when you concede first to the worst ever team to have played in the Premier League.

It still doesn't matter if you win comfortably in the end.

Don't understand why some people are intent on seeing everything so negatively and can't see this has been another excellent season overall.

Just watched the highlights.

Derby had one up and nobody was with him- what was that all about for their goal?

Warnock and another (Emerton?) were watching him as we had a corner. They stepped up and both were absolutely convinced they had caught Miller offside. Will be interesting to see the replay of it.

So a tight offside call led to them taking the lead. We came back and won the game comfortably. The fact that we went behind to that goal has absolutely no relevance at the end of the day. I fail to see why some people see that as the footballing crime of the century.

The fact that we went behind to that goal has absolutely no relevance at the end of the day. I fail to see why some people see that as the footballing crime of the century.

Because some people are not happy unless they are moaning.

It's been a fantastic season all in all in the league, just been disappointing in the cups.

I have to agree Tony. Although I haven't seen this game it always felt like we would turn it around. What a great last day it could be for us now - send "big club" down and qualify for europe. Would be GREAT to finish 6th. I thought that chance had gone several weeks back.

No complaints about going behind and winning 3-1. Jesus, that's football...

Decent season, some pretty bad football at times, but RSC has been a real bright spot, great signing. It would be fitting if he does the biz next week. Great signing, great player and a good guy.

Vogel has been a good signing too, we've been woefully short in midfield but are in a good position to get into Europe. Let's be pleased and wish good luck to the boys for next week...

Roque supreme again, Jason popped one away but his other failures when clean through just show he is only playing because Benni is out of sorts and injured and Matty needs a double hernia. I am sure he will be 4th choice striker next season.

Balls. Roberts works his legs off and creates those opportunities which he wastes. Benni does not create those opportunities. We have looked an infinately better proposition up front since Jason has come into the team. For my money Roberts will retain his place start of next season unless we buy another big powerful or fast striker. McCarth is either going to have to displace Cruz (or wait till he gets suspended or injured) or hope that Cruz goes out right in this new formation if he wants a sniff.

One thing that has been catagorically shown this season is that a McCarthy-Cruz front line does not work. They both come deep, they get in each otehers way and they congest the midfield.

Warnock and another (Emerton?) were watching him as we had a corner. They stepped up and both were absolutely convinced they had caught Miller offside. Will be interesting to see the replay of it.

So a tight offside call led to them taking the lead. We came back and won the game comfortably. The fact that we went behind to that goal has absolutely no relevance at the end of the day. I fail to see why some people see that as the footballing crime of the century.

I thought Miller was in his own half when the ball was played. Although did you see the size of the assistant referee? I'm surprised he could keep up with any game

I thought Miller was in his own half when the ball was played. Although did you see the size of the assistant referee? I'm surprised he could keep up with any game

He would of had to been, as it seems impossible for him to have been on otherwise. Still our two players should not have just stood there.

Good 2nd half performance from our boys lots of chances and it was great to see Tugay more than hold his own with some neat passing.

Did anyone else see the large inflatable penis with a forrest shirt on in the Derby end. Very funny.

Todays results makes the £36 spent on next week all the better hope we can do it.

Can I take a guess as to who Bentley beat to create the third goal? Was it Jay McEveley? :wacko:

No. Bentley did well to cross from the left. About the best thing he did in a lackluster afternoon by his standards.

Well my prediction of rovers struggling their way to victory was pretty acurate in the first half, but fortunately we bucked up our ideas in the second half and deserved to win.

First half was shocking - rovers had no grip on the game at all. Not sure why reid's at right back and emerton at centre mid. Granted the latter does add pace through the centre but he was sorely missed at right back, where reid didn't convince at all. The derby goal was either a shocking decision or shocking officiating - but either way was indicative of a poor first half performance by rovers who looked really disjointed. A central mid playmaker and an enforcer are a must in the summer (altho emerton did ok at this but it's not his best position). Even so rovers had several good chances in the first half when our strikers buldozed their way through the derby defence which considering our lack of possession hinted at how poor derby really are.

The second half didn't hint at it - it was painfully obvious. Derby offered nothing going forwards and little resistance at the back and were it not for Carrol and some poor finishing - the only criticism of rovers excellent second half display - then we'd have won by a hatful. Roberts showed why he's worth keeping - his goal and delightful overhead kick - and why he really isn't good enough for 1st choice striker for a europe chasing team - his horrible 1 on 1 miss, whilst emerton, warnock, mgp, and santa cruz all impressed a lot. Bentley was poor overall, with only a few bits of magic, tried to take on too many players and drifted inside too much, which given reid didn't really get forward left us lacking on the right side of the pitch. Nelsen and Samba had an easy afternoon, as did Brad.

With villa loosing I've a feeling we could well do it, a situation reminiscent of the last day win over spurs to pip everton for europe. Sadly villa have the slightly easier task of wham to play in the last game of the season, but the chance of europe and the chance to put the BIG CLUB down makes for a must see game. Come on rovers!

The goal looked about 5 yards offside - im hoping MOTD will confirm that in a few minutes.

Next week is vital, just hope west ham can help us out too. Will be there next week now that we can send Birmingham down. £35 is steep, but not if the site is them going down.

1st Half was poor, 2nd half was much improved and could have easily been 6-1. 2 more for Roque, great season and good to see Tugay. If he goes then all the best to a legend.

It does when you concede first to the worst ever team to have played in the Premier League.

Archived