BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Next Rovers Manager

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good grief!

ive just lost focus here...my mind is somewhere else today,just saw the name replied.Yes Manuel Pellegrini is the one im referring to...he is known to make the best of limited resources,so should fit the bill perfectly.

ive just lost focus here...my mind is somewhere else today,just saw the name replied.Yes Manuel Pellegrini is the one im referring to...he is known to make the best of limited resources,so should fit the bill perfectly.

He would be amazing but he's just got Villareal into the champions league and will no doubt be on a peseta or 2. Lets all be honest, its gonna be Big Sam! We best get growing the grass in the corners and expect the return of the fat lazy striker from down the rd!

Dick Advocaat is a good shout, wouldn't mind Roberto Martinez either, he plays the right way and has a good record in the transfer market. Brought the guy Brode over as an unknown and now there's talk of selling him for 2 million.

I know I might get blasted for this,but what about Carlos Quieroz(sp) okay,I know the last time we had Fergie’s assistant take over,we got into a right old mess….just a suggestion,don’t think he would ever consider it,as he is eyeing the united post should it become available

Mancini? (well, he did play for leicester!)

okie that was me trying to inject some form of optimism.

sighs.

if hughes goes to chelsea, good luck to him. if its city, i'd laugh if the junta takes over again and freezes all of Thaksin's money. arghhhh.

back on the topic though, i actually have no idea who we should appoint. Back when we got rid of souness, hughes was my immediate shout. this time, there's no one that really comes to mind instantly. i would want jose, but we'd sooner see green pigs flying.

Gus Poyet

Very underrated IMO, not sure on how he would do as a manager but he certainly has the touch as an assistant.

Slaven Bilic I like but I doubt the Board would even consider him!

If not then they want sacking. There is nothing to lose by asking him.

Not saying we should go for him, but I wonder where the idea that SGE can't do well with a small budget comes from? The fact that he has had a big budget in some of his jobs doesn't mean he couldn't do without one! He won the UEFA Cup with IFK Göteborg ffs, and while I have no idea about his budget at Benfica I'm pretty sure he did better in Europe than many bigger clubs did. Note that I'm not necessarily saying he would do well with our kind of budget, but just pointing out that there's nothing to suggest he wouldn't.

And yes, I'm going some way back there, but take another example: Would anyone turn down someone like Ferguson on the basis that he can't do well on a small budget? After all, like SGE, it was 20 years since he last lacked resources. Yet I doubt you'd hear those same complaints. I'm also well aware that Ferguson has won more and is in all likelyhood the best manager, but just comparing the budget aspect and it's not so different.

Anyway, I've said before that someone I'd like to see is Chris Coleman. Bilic seems like a promising manager as well. I don't have enough knowledge about the lower league managers to recommend one of them. BFS would do a good job, but would be so, so boring and I really don't like that man.

If we want Bilic then it would be good if Croatia didn't do great this summer. If they did well his stock would rise even further.

edit - hypothetically speaking of course.

Problem is there isnt too many managers out there and available who i would want at ewood.

The next manager if Hughes goes, has to come in and sell Bentley - raising £15-£20m. Giving him £30m to spend on the team and to mould into his own team, hopefully one with more pace.

Onwards and upwards if Hughes goes. Change is good!

Problem is there isnt too many managers out there and available who i would want at ewood.

The next manager if Hughes goes, has to come in and sell Bentley - raising £15-£20m. Giving him £30 to spend on the team and to mould into his own team, hopefully one with more pace.

Onwards and upwards if Hughes goes. Change is good!

bit more than £30 i reckon

:rover:

Lightning won't strike again dudes. We've been pretty jammy over the last few years, taking on the big boys with no money, IMHO. Even with Hughes, next season was going to be extremely difficult. I hope I'm overestimating Hughes' role in our recent "success," but I'm afraid not.

After our recent history of No. 2s, can we please go for a No. 1....

Personally, I believe the message from Rovers should be the solid foundations of the club.

No debt, some money to spend, a good squad.

Taking on Rovers is a big opportunity for a new manager.

Billic, increasingly I'm really warming to. An interview at the weekend revealed him to be a level-headed guy, with a sense of humour and enough self-belief to float a battleship.

Plus, his knowledge of, and contacts in, the Eastern European countries should pay off.

Other than that, I'd rather gamble on promoting from within players who have been loyal to Rovers (Friedel, Tugay, etc) and keep some continuity going, than a has-been like BFS or a stepping stone merchant like Shearer (much as I'd be intrigued by his appointment).

Aidy Boothroyd? Failed to get Watford up though!

I cannot for the life of me understand why the forum moderator has locked my post on MH. It seems that one or two people are missing the point. Rovers have agreed to Hughes speaking to City only if certain conditions are met. If City don't agree to those conditions then where does that leave Hughes? It'll leave him with his tail between his legs and looking like a bit of a lame duck!! Moderator please think about it, eh?

Archived