[Archived] Next Rovers Manager

I have a wish list of managers NOT to hire

Advocaat

Sourpuss

Le Guen

McLaren

Allardyce

I'd prefer one of the up and coming managers

Although Tony Adams was pants at Wycombe, if he has reassessed, he might be ok. Paul Lambert has great international connections, so could be good. Ditto John Collins, which could be interesting, and Tony Mowbray wouldn't be bad.

Just none of the "old School" please.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are you alright Mr. E? You've been making some very wild and unstable posts recently, it's a bit disconcerting...

Hardly the 'ultimate betrayal', it's not like we have a rivalry with City or anything. They'll offer him a far larger contract, and probably 10x the transfer budget we can. It'll probably be a case of taking one step backward to go two steps forward, but where can he realistically take us on our budget? The chance was there in January to break in to the top 6 but the board let him down, when we desperately needed a quality central midfielder he had to settle for Vogel on a free. We all tried to kid ourselves that this was because Hughes is prudent and doesn't like spending cash, but deep down we knew that was rubbish.

Aren't City in Europe next season too? That's another thing they have over us.

If it's not clear already - no I am most definitely not alright with this.

It makes sense why Hughes would join City business-wise. I get that part.

But so far I have believed the lie that football is not all business. I believed that business and money were a necessary evil to keep it going. But that is simply not true, is it? The football club IS the business. The managers and players are not there for some make-belief loyalty or affection for the club. Those are ancient principles, fabrications that simply do not exist. They are employees in the exact same way McDonald's has employees. They are there to work, get payed, possibly move on to a higher position. Nothing more, nothing less.

So that really begs the question why do I, or anyone else, love and support Blackburn Rovers FC or any other club? I do not understand. Why not support the tooth-pick factory across the street? Exact same principles, just different product. For what possible reason should we care, unless you have family/friends there I guess, how the club does? I just do not understand.

I'd have Landrup, Van Gaal, Advocaat, Marcelinho, Blanc, Gross ahead of any metioned above but i want a BILLIC OR SHEARER!

Well you're mad then.

I dont think he's got any of the qualities to be a manager and he hasnt bothered his arse to do any of the management courses and he's too busy thraping my license fee on MoTD to seriously want the hassle of managing a club I dont think he particualrly likes anymore

The trouble is really we need somebody who can fill the following criteria:

1:Can work with a small budget and be able to unearth `rough diamonds` so to speak and make the most of the money he has to work with.

2:Preferably be a young upcoming manager with a great desire to enhance their reputation rather than some old duffer looking for a good paycheck.

3:Probably just as important,be able to finally shake off this `bully boy` tag that has accompanied Rovers ever since the day Souness took over at Ewood (and in some respects continued by Hughes),and be able to produce attractive attacking football that would have supporters really looking forward to watching Rovers.

I must admit i do not envy the board one bit in looking for Hughes`s replacement. :wacko:

T4E: I know you have sung Advocaat's praises in the past, but noticed he wasn't one of the 2 names you mentioned in the other thread. Thoughts? Won't take Jan's opinion on it because she is anti anything having been involved with Rangers.

Roy Keane has spent wild and loose at Sunderland (and Irish) without great success. He has even admitted that he had a poor season. Apart from the intimidation factor which propelled them this far, he has not shown enough to suggest he's a good manager.

Imo, it smacks of a severe lack of ingenuity if you go splashing large sums on players you've played with - and not great ones at that.

In football you make mistakes. Realising and admitting the mistakes you've made and learning from them is an absolute essential for any one who wants to better themselves especially in football.

For me Roy Keane has admitted to mistakes hes made and that for me shows he has the ability to go from strength to strength, it would be even better if he came to Rovers having made and learned from the mistakes he made at another club.

Keane was, is new to football management, yet he has achieved far more than many managers ever will do in a very short space of time, some on here are talking about Warnock but how many years has it taken him to get his teams promoted yet find them fall at the next hurdle.

The trouble is really we need somebody who can fill the following criteria:

1:Can work with a small budget and be able to unearth `rough diamonds` so to speak and make the most of the money he has to work with.

2:Preferably be a young upcoming manager with a great desire to enhance their reputation rather than some old duffer looking for a good paycheck.

3:Probably just as important,be able to finally shake off this `bully boy` tag that has accompanied Rovers ever since the day Souness took over at Ewood (and in some respects continued by Hughes),and be able to produce attractive attacking football that would have supporters really looking forward to watching Rovers.

I must admit i do not envy the board one bit in looking for Hughes`s replacement. :wacko:

For 1 and 2 there's only one name: Mark Hughes

For 3 there's every manager else!

I have a wish list of managers NOT to hire

Advocaat

Sourpuss

Le Guen

McLaren

Allardyce

I'd prefer one of the up and coming managers

Although Tony Adams was pants at Wycombe, if he has reassessed, he might be ok. Paul Lambert has great international connections, so could be good. Ditto John Collins, which could be interesting, and Tony Mowbray wouldn't be bad.

Just none of the "old School" please.

No, Adams aside, just one of your Celtic chums and most certainly not an ex-Ger. JHC - Paul Lambert !!!

For pure entertainment value you couldn't beat Colin, I am referring to his interviews not his footy. Wouldn't be too upset with that appointment.

I'd be quite happy with Colin at the helm. Doubt he'd leave his satsuma-hued mate in the lurch though.

Except for the apparent dour football he produced at Bolton, I really cannot see any good reason not to hire Allardyce....in fact, almost perfect for the gig.

So many reasons: dismal football, bung allegations, dismal football, nepotism, dismal football, his stupid, flappy mouthed, gum-chewing face, dismal football...

Archived