BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Paul Robinson

In my eyes it certainly weakens the team.

I would have said for the last 5 years that Friedel was superior and I'm not changing my mind now. However when Friedel left we had to replace him with someone and chances are he wouldn't be in Brads class.

I've doubted Robbo since his Leeds days but I'll give him a fair crack of the whip and get behind him. Hopefully he'll prove me wrong. I have to admit it seems a very decent fee that we have signed him for.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
£3.5m is too good to be true really. Williams is a canny operator but I can't see him stitching Levy up that good.

We'll probably take a few million off the Bentley fee now, knocking down Arsenal's cut and making us better off in the process.

Do you think there will be a contract on that DB price.

F--- um it"s 18m or no sale I say. :lol:

In my eyes it certainly weakens the team.

I would have said for the last 5 years that Friedel was superior and I'm not changing my mind now. However when Friedel left we had to replace him with someone and chances are he wouldn't be in Brads class.

I've doubted Robbo since his Leeds days but I'll give him a fair crack of the whip and get behind him. Hopefully he'll prove me wrong. I have to admit it seems a very decent fee that we have signed him for.

you seem to be the only person that thinks that

and you have to remember brad was the same age as robbo when he came in and remember not every one was sure about brad when he joined and look where he turned out!!!

you seem to be the only person that thinks that

and you have to remember brad was the same age as robbo when he came in and remember not every one was sure about brad when he joined and look where he turned out!!!

True that I wasn't too pleased with Friedel. However as I've said previously apart from about 10 games at Liverpool I'd never seen Brad. In hindsight I shouldnt have had a strong opinion.

Not the case with Robinson. I've paid a lot of attention to Robbo since he was highly touted at leeds and am not that impressed. He's good but not great.

It is my opinion and I do seem to be in a very small minority. However I'd wager that if I'd have asked if Robinson was as good as Friedel 12 months ago, a lot of people cock-a-hoop on here would have said he wasn't even close. Either they were biased in favour of Brad before, or are deluding themselves about Robinson now.

It is a good bit of business, I won't deny it. However ultimately it weakens the team.

And WHO would the doubters have replaced Brad with then instead of Robinson?

There is no pleasing some people! :angry2:

As I've also said previously, I don't know. I can't spend all week studying footballers from all over the world and I don't have a team of scouts working on my behalf.

I've also said I can understand the logic behind this move.

All I'm pointing out is I feel it weakens the team. Are you telling me it doesn't and that you've always thought Robinson was as good if not better than Brad?

The pressure at Rovers is much lower than at most clubs and is therefore a good environment for a confidence-shattered keeper to rebuild his belief and form.

I think he'll do well.

(Although, I can't help but note how easily people are forgeting his role in the farce that is England over recent years). Form is temporary but there's no doubt that Ince has got a rebuilding job with Robbo's confidence.

Edit: It may do Robinson good to get out of London and the clutches of the capital's swarm of distractors and hangers-on. I believe that Robbo is a good friend of Chris Moyles... which can't be good for anyone's health.

As I've also said previously, I don't know. I can't spend all week studying footballers from all over the world and I don't have a team of scouts working on my behalf.

I've also said I can understand the logic behind this move.

All I'm pointing out is I feel it weakens the team. Are you telling me it doesn't and that you've always thought Robinson was as good if not better than Brad?

Maybe it does, but Brad is a class above and hard to replace. For the money Robinson is the best alternative.

However, Brad was not as good as Filan when he first joined and look how he turned out.

Fettis was a weak signing this is a top signing.

True that I wasn't too pleased with Friedel. However as I've said previously apart from about 10 games at Liverpool I'd never seen Brad. In hindsight I shouldnt have had a strong opinion.

Not the case with Robinson. I've paid a lot of attention to Robbo since he was highly touted at leeds and am not that impressed. He's good but not great.

It is my opinion and I do seem to be in a very small minority. However I'd wager that if I'd have asked if Robinson was as good as Friedel 12 months ago, a lot of people cock-a-hoop on here would have said he wasn't even close. Either they were biased in favour of Brad before, or are deluding themselves about Robinson now.

It is a good bit of business, I won't deny it. However ultimately it weakens the team.

Considering Friedel wants to leave; where would you suggest we find a 'great' replacement keeper on such short notice & for a 3M downpayment?

Considering Friedel wants to leave; where would you suggest we find a 'great' replacement keeper on such short notice & for a 3M downpayment?

Have I not responded to this. Am I speaking some foreign tongue tonight?

Kinell that'll be at least 14m quid spent! :rolleyes: I guess Robinsons about as good as we could hope for now. But it should never have come to this yet. Williams should have issued a strict 'no one leaves this summer till the new manager gets enough points to ensure Prem survival'. Otherwise he'll prove to be a taj expensive for a Championship keeper.

i might have over reacted abit

:lol:

If the price quoted for Robinson is correct at £3.5 million it looks to be a piece of very good business by John Williams. With the Bentley saga colouring the talks with Spurs I expected Levy to drive a harder bargain, still, maybe he has - if there is a sell on clause for Bentley then this might reduce the money going to Arsenal based on an estimated value for Robinson. Who knows, serve the Spuds right if Bentkley doesn't sign for them.

As for Robinson, he's 9 years younger than Brad and has been good enough to collect quite a few caps for England plus he has time and motivation to get back to top form. Brad will be sorely missed but I really wonder how many more seasons we could get out of him playing at his top level.

So, lets not get on Robinson's case just yet and wish him all the best in his revitalised career at Ewood Park

Robinson is as big of a fialure of a pleyer as you can get. Failed both his country and his club. We're giving him a chance - to fail and us.

And guess what will happen, my dear friends, if by some miracle he does indeed recapture his form and makes a save or two?

He'll be on Sunderland's door steps begging to be saved from our measly salary the second the next transfer window opens.

We're on a terminal lose-lose situation with whoever we sign.

Robinson is as big of a fialure of a pleyer as you can get. Failed both his country and his club. We're giving him a chance - to fail and us.

And guess what will happen, my dear friends, if by some miracle he does indeed recapture his form and makes a save or two?

He'll be on Sunderland's door steps begging to be saved from our measly salary the second the next transfer window opens.

We're on a terminal lose-lose situation with whoever we sign.

well aint you all bloody smiles.

Give him a chance at least, he aint even put on his Rovers shirt yet!

well aint you all bloody smiles.

Give him a chance at least, he aint even put on his Rovers shirt yet!

not sure whats to smile about.

Ans as I said - sure, we'll give him a chance. And two things will happen. He will either fail, or look like he might be doing good and run away at the first opportunity. No one good actually wants to stay at Rovers, that much has been proven.

Archived