BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Paul Robinson

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All for competition for places.........all robinson needs is games though. It could be costly for Rovers!

If the player from northampton is better than Robinson then he needs to play but that will destroy Robinson as a player for good. It will destroy all his remaining confidence and that will be 3.5 mill down the drain.

All for competition for places.........all robinson needs is games though. It could be costly for Rovers!

If the player from northampton is better than Robinson then he needs to play but that will destroy Robinson as a player for good. It will destroy all his remaining confidence and that will be 3.5 mill down the drain.

I can see the logic of your argument and to some extent do not disagree in financial terms. However, how many poor performances and dropped points do we accept before we realise that we have a problem? If his form improves then great but if not we cannot continue to present the opposition with soft goals every time they decide to put a cross into our box. We can only hope that Bobby Mimms can work on his technique and help to restore his confidence because at the moment Robinson is not playing like a 3.5 million goalkeeper.

why are people slating robinson, we are not spuds fans, robbo played well, it was not just his fault for the first goal, Samba should have stayed with his man, he made some awesome saves, in fact a lot that were better than greeno. give the guy a break

i havent watched the game yesterday but i heard robinson made some top saves??

our defence at the moment always look likely to concede goals-maybe with a solid back four-robinson will pick up a good understanding with them..

Yes at one point all the back four stopped waiting for an offside or foul to be given and a WHU player shot point blank and robbo saved, he then made another save just afterwards, this guy is good, we need to back him up, the only thing he needs to work on is his confidence on crosses, thats all

I can see the logic of your argument and to some extent do not disagree in financial terms. However, how many poor performances and dropped points do we accept before we realise that we have a problem? If his form improves then great but if not we cannot continue to present the opposition with soft goals every time they decide to put a cross into our box. We can only hope that Bobby Mimms can work on his technique and help to restore his confidence because at the moment Robinson is not playing like a 3.5 million goalkeeper.

Mimms was hardly renowned for dealing with crosses in his playing career so I cannot see how he is going to be much help to Robinson.

The defence/coaching staff by now should have realised that Robinson has a weakness in his game with crosses and should be adjusting to it. For example in open paly the fullbacks should be forcing players inside to prevent crosses not giving wingers as much time as Warnock did against Hull last Saturday. The defence and goalkeeper need to work as a unit and together they will become stronger.

That Gomes looks a bit wobbly at times though. Saw the Sunderland game and he seems to be running laps round the penalty area at times. That can't inspire confidence in the defenders. I think if we can get a couple of clean sheets, then Robinson will be great. We just have to persevere for a month or two, when its early in the season and results seem less vital.

I still have no ideas who the Robinson haters would have instead of him.

I agree that Robinson made some decent saves yesterday but the simple fact is that he has a major flaw in his game when it comes to crosses. This is a weakness that West Ham exploited for the first goal and other teams will do likewise. He is a player who is short on confidence and lacking in technique in certain areas of his game. He wasn't good at Wolves, made mistakes at Everton and did the same again yesterday. He may gain favour with the crowd by constantly acknowledging their shouts of 'England's No 1' but unless he can improve his technique on crosses he will not remain as first choice at Ewood Park for long. No club in the Premier League can afford to carry a 'keeper with such a glaring weakness in his game. He needs to put the hours in on the training ground and develop a new approach to dealing with balls that are flighted into the area. Hopefully, Bobby Mimms will be able to sort out this problem.

I agree that Robinson made some decent saves yesterday but the simple fact is that he has a major flaw in his game when it comes to crosses. This is a weakness that West Ham exploited for the first goal and other teams will do likewise. He is a player who is short on confidence and lacking in technique in certain areas of his game. He wasn't good at Wolves, made mistakes at Everton and did the same again yesterday. He may gain favour with the crowd by constantly acknowledging their shouts of 'England's No 1' but unless he can improve his technique on crosses he will not remain as first choice at Ewood Park for long. No club in the Premier League can afford to carry a 'keeper with such a glaring weakness in his game. He needs to put the hours in on the training ground and develop a new approach to dealing with balls that are flighted into the area. Hopefully, Bobby Mimms will be able to sort out this problem.

As I said earlier, I have my doubts whether Mimms is the best qualified goalkeeping coach to help Robinson with a problem with crosses!

As I said earlier, I have my doubts whether Mimms is the best qualified goalkeeping coach to help Robinson with a problem with crosses!

You may well be right remembering Bobby as a player. However, at the moment he's our best - and only - hope of sorting Robinson out :(

Robbo was much more impressive than greeno yesterday, he made some very impressive reaction saves and yes he was poor on corners but our defending was poor from most set pieces and with the height and strength we had available we should have done alot better

simply no comment. No-fracking-comment.

• 2 weeks later...

Credit where credit's due. I wasn't looking forward to seeing him in Rovers goal for the first time I missed the Hull game - and it did feel weird seeing him there but he did better than I expected and could do nothing about the goals. Would have been great for his confidence if he'd just got to the pen, which he looked to almost keep out.

Its people, who as kids never wanted to be the goalkeeper. For those who are goalkeepers, wil understand that you can only do so much and that it should be a collective effort from the entire team. Defensive blunders, and you blame Robinson just because of his past experiences. If Friedel was the keeper, people would have overlooked his mistakes, and praised him for the saves he made. How can you blame Robinson, when you have a defence consisting of dumb,dumber, and wel stupid at the back. Then they argue over a lollipop, " its your ball,no it was your ball" Both Nelsen and Warnock were a disgrace, esp as Nelsen is the captain. Show some composure and act as a leader Ryan. Why cant you drop a captain?

A real shame for Robbo - with David James reverting to type (at least 3 of the 10 goals Pompey have shipped in the last two games have his name on them) - and Robbo coming back to form, he was on for a chance in the England goal next month. That chance may now go to someone else.

Archived