BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Paul Robinson

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As others have said - seems to be weak in a number of areas as a goalkeeper (although I hope building his confidence improves these) but his distribution is absolutely excellent. Not only the length of his kicks but also his accuracy. He was pinging the ball out wide frequently.

I thought Robinson had a good solid game today and made a good save early on which got a good reaction from the crowd and a couple of important stops late on. He had no chance with the goal, bad marking and a freak header off the post. They weren't world class save but bread and butter, but he kept his concentration right up until the end. His best save was a one on one (the whistle had gone for offside, but he didn't know). He came for one hanging cross, but missed, but he did enough to put off the Hull forward. Apart from one misplaced kick, his kicking was excellent, always finding a man - this will prove very effective as games go by. Not Friedel, but very happy with him and will only improve with games!

I thought Robinson had a good solid game today and made a good save early on which got a good reaction from the crowd and a couple of important stops late on. He had no chance with the goal, bad marking and a freak header off the post. They weren't world class save but bread and butter, but he kept his concentration right up until the end. His best save was a one on one (the whistle had gone for offside, but he didn't know). He came for one hanging cross, but missed, but he did enough to put off the Hull forward. Apart from one misplaced kick, his kicking was excellent, always finding a man - this will prove very effective as games go by. Not Friedel, but very happy with him and will only improve with games!

I though he was generally excellent today and, as you say, there were a couple of saves he made after the whistle had gone that he wasnt to know. Under little pressure though and still believe over the course of the season we'll see difference between him and Brad. Everton was 'a bit ropey' last week. However fair is fair and today he did his job well.

He did well, looked a lot more settled than last week. He was unfortunate to let in a rather freak goal that he couldn't have done too much about. He needs to do something to change his luck just before half-time.

He did well, looked a lot more settled than last week. He was unfortunate to let in a rather freak goal that he couldn't have done too much about. He needs to do something to change his luck just before half-time.

Maybe pay the ref not to give a dodgy decision and Get Nigel to sort our defence out. By the way, anyone else notcie a difference in our defensive displays? I haven't seen much to really convince me. Winterburn needs to sort them out!

I don't think even the greatest coach can change a back four in only a few weeks. If we're still bad by november or december then it will be time to ask questions. Honeslty though, we haven't been that bad at the back. Today we handled most things, we only let in a freak goal. Yes, Ooijer should have been closer to the man, but that's a mistake that will be made almost every game at some point and the vast majority of times would come to nothing.

I don't think even the greatest coach can change a back four in only a few weeks. If we're still bad by november or december then it will be time to ask questions. Honeslty though, we haven't been that bad at the back. Today we handled most things, we only let in a freak goal. Yes, Ooijer should have been closer to the man, but that's a mistake that will be made almost every game at some point and the vast majority of times would come to nothing.

Good point.

Think we did well defnsively against Everton aswell. Warnock was too short for the second goal, but Ooijer was too slow. Emerton or Simpson need a pop a Right back and I think that will make us more stronger at the back. Ooijer tends to drift inside alot, like today and it cost us. Other teams will exploit that and we may well get punished time and time again. Time to give Simpson a run in the team to see if he's any better. He has to be a starter VS Grimsby.

Robinson did very well today, like someone mentioned there was 2 or 3 one on ones when he stopped the man, fair enough they were all offside but neither the keeper or attacker knew at the point.

His kicking was very good and to his man and also when he saves a shot he tends to hold it, unlike alot of keepers.

His kicking was very good and to his man and also when he saves a shot he tends to hold it, unlike alot of keepers.

That could also be a negative. I remember against Russia, Robinson was in 2 minds whether to hold or push away the shot, instead he did niether and it fell to Pavleyuchenko (sp) who scored. However, he did look sharp yesterday, I guess he can only get better.

I thought Robinson had a good debut yesterday, there were times when a few of us had hearts in mouths just from past history but Robbo didn't put a foot wrong apart from one kick that went straight along the ground to Steven Reid (he may have meant it but it didn't look like it at the time) and if I compare him to Brad, there wasn't a thing Robbo did that Brad could have done better. He was not at fault for the goal at all. In fact, imo, he was one of the best performers yesterday along with Reid, Mokoena and Roberts. Roque looked strangely off colour.

Robert Green was available in the summer. I posted he'd have been my preferred signing but I don't think there was much agreement. I gather he was MOTM yesterday?

Robert Green was available in the summer. I posted he'd have been my preferred signing but I don't think there was much agreement. I gather he was MOTM yesterday?

Not particularly- unlike Robinson made no saves of note as most of us would have saved Roberts' gentle prod from 12 yards and got lucky when Emerton's header was directed straight at his legs.

He made one notable take from the only corner that Reid managed to direct within takable distance whereas Robinson came and stopped for a similar corner which Davenport over-powered Nelsen to head home the West Ham opener for.

Green fluffed the Derbyshire equaliser got his bacon saved by the linesman being unable to see the WHam player who was playing him onside because of the sun.

Having watched all the games that Robinson has played for us, both pre-season and League, I find his lack of basic technique to be a worry. West Ham won't be the only side to work out that he struggles with crosses. His positional play is not all that great and on a couple of occasions yesterday there was a distinct lack of understanding with his defenders.

Of course, it's early days, but it is worrying that a goalkeeper who has been capped as often as Robinson should have lost form and confidence in such a major way. In particular, his lack of technique with crosses is alarming. Hopefully, the new lad from Northampton might put Robinson under a bit of pressure and perhaps the prospect of losing his first team place might just sharpen up his game.

Having watched all the games that Robinson has played for us, both pre-season and League, I find his lack of basic technique to be a worry. West Ham won't be the only side to work out that he struggles with crosses. His positional play is not all that great and on a couple of occasions yesterday there was a distinct lack of understanding with his defenders.

Of course, it's early days, but it is worrying that a goalkeeper who has been capped as often as Robinson should have lost form and confidence in such a major way. In particular, his lack of technique with crosses is alarming. Hopefully, the new lad from Northampton might put Robinson under a bit of pressure and perhaps the prospect of losing his first team place might just sharpen up his game.

it hardly improved his game when he was dropped by Spurs. The only his confidence will return is by playing and by hook or by crook getting a couple of clean sheets under his belt.

it hardly improved his game when he was dropped by Spurs. The only his confidence will return is by playing and by hook or by crook getting a couple of clean sheets under his belt.

The problem is that he doesn't look like keeping a clean sheet at the moment. His failure to deal with crosses is beginning to undermine the whole defence. Presumably, Ince is signing the new lad from Northampton because he doesn't feel that Brown or Fielding can put sufficient pressure on Robinson to challenge for his place. If the new boy can do that then maybe that might focus Robinson on improving his technique.

Robbo was much more impressive than greeno yesterday, he made some very impressive reaction saves and yes he was poor on corners but our defending was poor from most set pieces and with the height and strength we had available we should have done alot better

Archived