BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Paul Robinson

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally I think Robbo has started to improve his performances since joining us, the clean sheet last week was a great help to him I'm sure.

He's probably got more critics in the english game than any other player, definitely more than every other goalkeeper, hopefully he can stand up and be counted and prove them all wrong.

Back in his Leeds days and first couple of seasons at Spurs he was a top keeper, also for England, he's still very young and has the potential to make himself a hero at Ewood.

Shame to see his injury will sideline him for a few games but at least it gives us the chance to look at Brown and see what he can do at the top level. It almost seems like he's been here forever yet we haven't really seen him in first team action.

Brown hasn't conceded a goal for us yet has he? Obviously he didn't in the league cup game in midweek, how about when he came on as a sub? I can't remember off hand, I know he saved the penalty but can't think of the rest of the game!

Personally I think Robbo has started to improve his performances since joining us, the clean sheet last week was a great help to him I'm sure.

He's probably got more critics in the english game than any other player, definitely more than every other goalkeeper, hopefully he can stand up and be counted and prove them all wrong.

Back in his Leeds days and first couple of seasons at Spurs he was a top keeper, also for England, he's still very young and has the potential to make himself a hero at Ewood.

Shame to see his injury will sideline him for a few games but at least it gives us the chance to look at Brown and see what he can do at the top level. It almost seems like he's been here forever yet we haven't really seen him in first team action.

Brown hasn't conceded a goal for us yet has he? Obviously he didn't in the league cup game in midweek, how about when he came on as a sub? I can't remember off hand, I know he saved the penalty but can't think of the rest of the game!

Grimsby. He did a triple save against Wigan and won us the game.

Thanks den.

Especially as I am going to use it to disagree with you but I've been pretty heartened by what I've seen so far. He is much closer to the most exciting young keeper I'd seen England produce in years than the error prone disaster he morphed into at Spurs.

In fact when you think how rapidly and dramatically the habitually drunk in front of camera David Bentley has disintegrated going to Spurs, perhaps the bracing Lancastrian breezes are proving equally recuperative for Paul Robinson.

Terrible shame he is missing the Man U game though.

Maybe Ramos is having second thoughts?

"Another incisive move ended with former Spurs midfield man Marney beating Gomes with a shot on the turn, only to see his effort rebound to safety off the post.

Gomes' handling was looking suspect, and he was grateful to palm away another powerful drive from Marlon King as Hull went in search of a second goal."

Link - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/e...rem/7639500.stm

Gomes' handling was looking suspect

My mate loves Gomes, thinks he is a top keeper. I have to say when i have seen him play he looks unsure of his position in the goal and unable to reach the ones in the corner. I would prefer robbo given the 2 prices and abilties.

So far that Gomes fella has done nothing to prove why he cost so much. He has let some poor goals in and I dont think he even has a clean sheet yet?

As for Robbo - any ideas if he is back in training yet?

Hopefully the international break will allow us to be abit close to having players back. Hopefully by Bolton away we should have Grella, McCarthy, Robinson, Vogel, Judge & maybe Reid all back in contention.

Brown is after the no1 spot - see lancs telegraph. Basically saying he feels he's done enough and expects to be in team at Bolton. IF not then it looks like an unsettled player. See below:

England’s Robinson is expected to be available for selection again come the trip to Bolton in a fortnight, handing boss Paul Ince a tough selection dilemma.

Brown though is adamant he has done enough to retain the gloves and keep Rovers’ summer signing waiting in the wings.

He said: “I have my opportunity now though and I am hoping I keep my place.

"I would like to think I have put in some decent performances, and hopefully the gaffer will look at it and maybe think I deserve to keep my place.

“Fingers crossed. After two weeks we will know and hopefully I will be starting against Bolton, but you never know.

“Robbo hasn’t done too much wrong so once he gets fit he will be looking to start again.

“I am just as competitive as anyone else. Everyone wants to play.

"If the gaffer decides to leave me out then I think we will be having a little conversation.”

What would you do? Robbo or Brown for Bolton?

england international or rovers number 2....robbo for me.

Would you winge if you didnt get the number one spot.We had this conversation the other week.Brown(im not having a go before anyone says i am ..IM NOT) must have the best ,cushiest job in the world.How much money has he raked in over the past few years (apart from the last month) for coming on the pitch before the game and warming up and doing his job between the sticks for 45 mins over the past 2 or 3 seasons.If I was him Id stay stum and keep taking the wonga.He wont get a gravy train anywhere else .

england international or rovers number 2....robbo for me.

Would you winge if you didnt get the number one spot.We had this conversation the other week.Brown(im not having a go before anyone says i am ..IM NOT) must have the best ,cushiest job in the world.How much money has he raked in over the past few years (apart from the last month) for coming on the pitch before the game and warming up and doing his job between the sticks for 45 mins over the past 2 or 3 seasons.If I was him Id stay stum and keep taking the wonga.He wont get a gravy train anywhere else .

I think Matt Dickens had an even cushier number;the mgt realised before we got promoted that he wasn't up to the job but he still got on the bench till Flowers arrived.

• 2 weeks later...

Good interview with Robbo on Setanta's Friday Football show. Said he is enjoying his football again, playing with people who belief in him. Praised Ince and said he has done a lot for the lads, instilling confidence in them and providing them with a winning mentality. Mentioned that Ince trying to stamp his authority on the team and still wants to bring in his own players.

Robinson seems like a great buy when comapared to Gomes. £3.5m is slowly becoming a good investment.

Keep it up Robinson, and ignore the golfists.

Agreed - think we're back to a good lineup of goalies now for the future with Robbo-Bunn-Bussman (guessing Brown will be on his way in time, along with Gunnar). Reminds me of last time we had three decent goalkeepers and we took a gamble on someone called Freidel ;)

Would have been interesting if Robbo hadn't passed that late fitness test on the day of the Everton game, to see who would have goaled/subbed) :o

You can read the Setanta interview here:

http://sport.setanta.com/en/Sport/News/Foo...binson-on-Ince/

....and here is a bit about Spurs new keeper from the bbc:

Udinese led when Spurs keeper Heurelho Gomes failed to clear a backpass then fouled Fabio Quagliarella - and Antonio Di Natale scored the resulting penalty.

and:

Gomes has not been the root of Tottenham's difficulties this season but he continued to look nervous for the rest of the half, choosing to palm away Marco Motta's long-range shot when the ball could easily have fallen to a Udinese boot.

Link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/7672235.stm

I'm really beginning to warm to robbo, and I'll be the first to admit I wasn't keen on him coming.

However, he's knuckled down and worked hard, (whilst not mouthing off unlike a certain person who moved in the opposite direction) and put in some decent/good performances.

I like the way he bosses the team about like today when chasing an equaliser he was taking pretty much all our free kicks in our half at the end and shouting at the players to get forward. He's worked really hard on winning the fans over (and must be costing the club a bob or two in gloves) and as long as they're limited to last minute, one goal deficit situations, I've no problems with him coming forward - it certainly helped today!

Is Robbo our new 'fox in the box'?

If it wasn't for his perfectly timed advance/foray/belly flop into the Boro area today, distracting all the defenders (especially the two on posts), would Benedict have sneaked in to score?

Thought he also did well with the same flying flop to clatter the Boro forward midway through second half when they broke.

Is Robbo our new 'fox in the box'?

If it wasn't for his perfectly timed advance/foray/belly flop into the Boro area today, distracting all the defenders (especially the two on posts), would Benedict have sneaked in to score?

Thought he also did well with the same flying flop to clatter the Boro forward midway through second half when they broke.

Clearly heard Robbo shouting, bawling instructing his team which for me is a good good sign in a keeper - definite potential.

Archived