Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers V Grimsby

Hasta

Possibility is 4-3-3

-------------Robinson---------------

Emerton-Samba-Nelsen-Warnock

------(?? RM)--Grella--Dunn------

----Roberts----Cruz---Carlos----

I think We'll use him with two defensive midfielders. Grella and either Tugay, Reid or Emo. With one of the later pushing up into Cavi role in modfield to allow him to get up with Santa when we attack in what will hopefully be a flulid interchangable midfield.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very enjoyable night at Ewood,could have been 8-1 with the chances created by a hungry,young and yes!.... CREATIVE Rovers side. :o

If that side is our 'second string' then good things are going to come our way

CARLOS VILLANUEVA?.... Only one game but I think we've found ourselves a real gem here folks!! :rover:

I knew Villaneuva was going to be a class act.

I'm more chuffed with Treacy and Judge doing well. Ince must put both on the bench consistently if he wants them to progress. Marshall getting an outing is a shock but I hope he develops from this inevitable massive confidence boost.

In fact, I will now take a clunking U-turn and state that Ince should NOT sign Andrews and instead give Judge a chance as a sub.

Well done the Rovers for what sounds like a good performance. (and moko included).

I think We'll use him with two defensive midfielders. Grella and either Tugay, Reid or Emo. With one of the later pushing up into Cavi role in modfield to allow him to get up with Santa when we attack in what will hopefully be a flulid interchangable midfield.

I guess we could go:

------------------Roberts

Villanueva-------Cruz--------Pennant?

------------Grella------Emerton

Warnock---Samba---Nelsen--Simpson

-------------------Freidal

Problem is dropping Pedersen loses us an option in the air and a lot of defensive strength. I can't see Villaneuva and Cruz playing together as strikers in a 442 because we will lack power and pace up front, and they will both drop deep. Plus Dunn isn't even in there.

He just seems like a guy who needs to drift to find room. Left wing is not his bag.

Personally I can see Carlos role mainly being as a second half sub against deep lying opposition who we need to unlock. Bit rubbish for such a talented player but again like McCarthy he seems far more suited to playing with a Roberts than a Santa.

I don't envy Ince's job in finding someone who is sure to be a fan's favourite a role in a team where the main man, Cruz, is not suited to him.

Villaneuva did OK (great goal and good vision in the last third), but as Den has posted on the Carlos thread he's very small and a bit slow. (The new Johny Price?)

Treacy was promising at left back, but won't be able to defend in the top flight. Judge didn't really do much (the new new Johny Price).

Grimsby were very poor, but an enjoyable evening out. Shame on those regulars who missed it.

However king of Ewood tonight was Tugay, worth the admission fee alone. His showboating routine in the last 15 minutes was brilliant. A real one-off of a player.

I guess we could go:

------------------Roberts

Villanueva-------Cruz--------Pennant?

------------Grella------Emerton

Warnock---Samba---Nelsen--Simpson

-------------------Freidal

Problem is dropping Pedersen loses us an option in the air and a lot of defensive strength. I can't see Villaneuva and Cruz playing together as strikers in a 442 because we will lack power and pace up front, and they will both drop deep. Plus Dunn isn't even in there.

He just seems like a guy who needs to drift to find room. Left wing is not his bag.

Personally I can see Carlos role mainly being as a second half sub against deep lying opposition who we need to unlock. Bit rubbish for such a talented player but again like McCarthy he seems far more suited to playing with a Roberts than a Santa.

I don't envy Ince's job in finding someone who is sure to be a fan's favourite a role in a team where the main man, Cruz, is not suited to him.

Freidel?

ITV did this in the last round too - had a highlights show on the Tuesday, but not on the Wednesday. Surely it'd make more sense to do it the other way round and show all the highlights on Wednesday!

Really enjoyable night (last) night, the football in the second half was some of the best I've seen in ages, albeit against a second division outfit whose heads had gone down. Could easily have finished seven or eight one.

Villenueva - superb debut - what might have happened had he not come up with a couple of moments of inspiration? Looks to have skill to burn - can he replicate that in the Prem?

Treacy - very good.

Derbyshire - superb finish for the fourth, even the young lad Marshall looked pretty useful when he came on up front, no excuse whatsoever for playing that lard bucket McCarthy, at least until he gets himself fit.

Gallagher - looked classy when he came on, picking the ball up in midfield and spraying it about. Provided a fantastic crossfield ball for Derbyshire which he nodded home but it was ruled out for offside.

All in all very encouraging and once again the impression was given that the "second string" might be pressuring the established players quite a bit harder than was the case under Hughes.

I suppose it was no real guide as to our likely prospects on Saturday but hugely enjoyable nevertheless, and we're safely into the hat for the next round..

However king of Ewood tonight was Tugay, worth the admission fee alone. His showboating routine in the last 15 minutes was brilliant. A real one-off of a player.

Paul,

I remember you posting years ago when Tugay played in his first game for us against Rochdale (I think it was a early round of a Cup Competition just after Souness had bought him from Rangers.) He's just as good now as he ever was then, albeit against Grimsby.

I drove up tonight in the drizzle thinking to myself "Why am I doing this?" It was the usual 60 mile round trip but to see BRFC Reserves v Grimsby. I left with a smile on my face. It was great to see PI introduing the youngsters to the team. Treacey looked very good. MGP looked somewhat rejuvinated, the last 15 minutes with the young players ripping into Grimsby was a joy. Just a pity they didn't put away some of the chances they created.

Carlos played almost the full 90 minutes and looked good. Am I allowed to say that he looks like the Chilean Maradonna?

His free kick which smacked into the bar with about 5 minutes remaining was very nearly sensational.

The best thing about last nights game was Grimsby Town scoring first, it served to kick Rovers in the nether regions early doors.

What we saw was a well drilled team, someone has already mentioned hunger, we saw youngsters who wanted to do well and we perhaps saw a glimpse of the future.

Treacy played very well. Young Judge and Marshall both looked like they could hack it, Gallacher looked liked the player we hoped he would be whilst our new kid on the Block, Carlos, looked like he has the material to make him a superstar and Rovers a lot of serious money. Sir Matty of Ewood was on fire and should have scored more.

I was impressed from the off.

The Axe had another good game, Brett is getting back to his best whilst MGP also had another good game. Zurab was comfortable whilst Tugay controlled the middle.

I suppose if I was looking for a weakness it was Jason Brown, too small for me in goal.

Aside of the game. I spoke to Dunny at the game as well as getting a word with several other players and JW himself. I also noted several high profile guests in the VIP area.

Rovers are to tie up the Andrews deal this morning, he was at Ewood again last night.

Rovers are also in talks with a fellow Premiership outift for a right sided player and would you beleive it representatives of a player with the initials JP were sat just behind me in the JW Stand.

Rovers are close to another deal with a loanee - no names and no position unfortunately.

JW seemed happy to talk and laughed at the insinuations about the media talk of disharmony at Ewood.

Anyhow, a good night out and if anyone has the chance of the meals on offer in the Premier suite, its bloody fantastic.

Comments after last night...

Paul Ince watched his much-changed Blackburn side comfortably see off Grimsby in the second round of the Carling Cup - then admitted none of them had played their way into his plans for Saturday's trip to West Ham.

When asked if he had been given something to think about, Ince replied: "Not at all, to be fair.

"When you win at Everton and draw at home to pick up four points, you don't change your side around a bit.

"But there are certainly one or two that have shown if it's not going well on Saturday, which I hope is not the case, then I can put them on and they could change the game."

Seriously???

The best thing about last nights game was Grimsby Town scoring first, it served to kick Rovers in the nether regions early doors.

What we saw was a well drilled team, someone has already mentioned hunger, we saw youngsters who wanted to do well and we perhaps saw a glimpse of the future.

Treacy played very well. Young Judge and Marshall both looked like they could hack it, Gallacher looked liked the player we hoped he would be whilst our new kid on the Block, Carlos, looked like he has the material to make him a superstar and Rovers a lot of serious money. Sir Matty of Ewood was on fire and should have scored more.

I was impressed from the off.

The Axe had another good game, Brett is getting back to his best whilst MGP also had another good game. Zurab was comfortable whilst Tugay controlled the middle.

I suppose if I was looking for a weakness it was Jason Brown, too small for me in goal.

Aside of the game. I spoke to Dunny at the game as well as getting a word with several other players and JW himself. I also noted several high profile guests in the VIP area.

Rovers are to tie up the Andrews deal this morning, he was at Ewood again last night.

Rovers are also in talks with a fellow Premiership outift for a right sided player and would you beleive it representatives of a player with the initials JP were sat just behind me in the JW Stand.

Rovers are close to another deal with a loanee - no names and no position unfortunately.

JW seemed happy to talk and laughed at the insinuations about the media talk of disharmony at Ewood.

Anyhow, a good night out and if anyone has the chance of the meals on offer in the Premier suite, its bloody fantastic.

Wow - that's some seat you've got there 1864! :)

Archived