BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers V Grimsby

Hasta

Cracking night's entertainment - and I've not said that on leaving Ewood for a long time now.

It may have only been Grimsby but the way we tackled the game was a joy to watch. Having seen us put in insipid displays in past cup games against lower league opposition I was pleasantly surprised at the application we showed.

If this is a taster of the type of football we can expect, there could be exciting times ahead.

One thing's for sure, we very rarely attacked as we did last night under Hughes.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Comments after last night...

Paul Ince watched his much-changed Blackburn side comfortably see off Grimsby in the second round of the Carling Cup - then admitted none of them had played their way into his plans for Saturday's trip to West Ham.

When asked if he had been given something to think about, Ince replied: "Not at all, to be fair.

"When you win at Everton and draw at home to pick up four points, you don't change your side around a bit.

"But there are certainly one or two that have shown if it's not going well on Saturday, which I hope is not the case, then I can put them on and they could change the game."

Seriously???

What's the problem?

Did Jason Brown do anything else last night apart from let in that soft free kick?

I've said a few times that being 5'11 will make it very tough for him as a goalkeeper, and the goal last night is a prime example. He really shouldn't be getting beaten by a shot that's straight down the middle, but he just doesn't have the height to cope with it. I know there a few examples of small goalkeepers being successful, but they're all world class in other areas to make up for that shortfall (no pun intended). Jason Brown doesn't really fit in to that category, so it's probably a good thing Ince is looking at more able back up.

Did Jason Brown do anything else last night apart from let in that soft free kick?

One extremely good one on one block right at the start of the second half at 3-1 which proved crucial.

Other than that he had little to do, but, didn't really inspire me with any confidence overall.

Ha ha, something tells me that Buckley had never heard of Carlos Villaneuva before the game.

"God almighty, they pull out some South American novice from their reserves and he plays like Maradona. There's no hope for us lot."

Thats Fantastic - nice find :lol:

That could be his new song "Its just like watching Maradona"

Ha ha, something tells me that Buckley had never heard of Carlos Villaneuva before the game.

"God almighty, they pull out some South American novice from their reserves and he plays like Maradona. There's no hope for us lot."

Did he actually say that? Brilliant.

To be fair to Buckley, any team outside the second division would have been a big ask for them. Grimsby currently stand 6 places above a position that would see them in the conference next season.

Something to bear in mind when trying to judge rovers players performances last night.

I saw the goals on SSN last night after the game but was disappointed not to see Carlos' 30-yard free kick hitting the bar. His goal was similar in finishing to Dunn's against Everton, curling left footer round the keeper.

Derb's couldnt miss his first as keeper parried it in front of goal and Matty tapped it in.

Emo's was a sweet swing of the right foot into the top right hand corner. Keeper was routed.

Derb's 2nd goal was a volley on the run to the near post after a cross from Gamst, sorry Pedersen!!! Nice finish.

Bit harsh Den. They made it to the cup final last season and lost to the league champs, I saw them play Chester away last season and they played some decent stuff for that level.

I don't think it's harsh Modes. They couldn't have been that good because they only finished 16th in that poor league.

This year, they hadn't won a game and hadn't scored a goal.

Jason brown showed himself not to be premier ship class with that freekick that went above his head and under the crossbar.

Extremely impressed with Keith Treacy, Warnock better watch out as this young hungry Irishman could dislodge Warnock if he continues to improve at the rate hes going.

Refreshing to see him link up with MGP and when things didnt work out they just got on with the game were as Warnock has been bollocking MGP which for me has been a little unfair not something you want to see on the pitch between two Rovers players.

And CARLOS VILLANEUVA what a gem !!

Jason brown showed himself not to be premier ship class with that freekick that went above his head and under the crossbar.

Extremely impressed with Keith Treacy, Warnock better watch out as this young hungry Irishman could dislodge Warnock if he continues to improve at the rate hes going.

Refreshing to see him link up with MGP and when things didnt work out they just got on with the game were as Warnock has been bollocking MGP which for me has been a littled unfair not what you want to see on the pitch between two Rovers players.

JAL - have you been on the Benedictine this morning or something? You seem all positive and rosy, and I'm agreeing with you - think I must have had some Absolut in my tea today also....

Ah, the miracles of a good win, in an attacking exciting style. B)

i was really impressed with the performances of all the youngsters!! i think that treacy and marshall (for the little time he was on) showed real promise but villavenueva was the star performer cant wait to see him properly in the premiership!!! :D

One extremely good one on one block right at the start of the second half at 3-1 which proved crucial.

Other than that he had little to do, but, didn't really inspire me with any confidence overall.

Just hope Rovers go back for AlHabsi come xmas dont know what it is, but I think this signing could be one of the most important ones Paul Ince ever makes. Browns not premiership class.

Archived