BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Players Out On Loan

Hughesy

Had the club moved on and continued to shrewdly invest into the squad (ala Mark Hughes), then I think we'd all be looking away from Gallagher. But the lad does have talent, which is something our current attack-force is severely lacking. I would have him back here.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With Gally you look at Games per Season and how he has been messed about.

In midfield he would be twice as good as Grella and Andrews......ignored by Hughes;not considered by Ince who could have helped him.

Now slagged off by Hughesy...and I cannot remember when I last saw him play.

The worst midfield for 20 years and a local lad who is really a modern midfielder is ignored and the extra burden of being a Blackburnian.

I think thats a pretty melodramatic way of looking at it. THere is no way he can play in the centre of midfield. No pace, no strength, can't put a tackle in. Absolutely no chance. On the other hand there is an argument for him going out on the right wing, or behind the striker in a 4231 formation. I'm sure Allardyce will have a look at him over the summer.

That said, that Plymouth fans are dubious about his standard overall is not really encouraging.

As I said at the time, Alan Judge, to me, was the most promising thing that came out of the Blythe debacle. However, Treacy has been the one to benefit.

I have a feeling that Judge is going to suffer from the David Thompson problem - aka, the problem of where to play a tiny, feisty, all-rounder of a midfielder. On the wing, you do not get the best out of his tenacity and hyperactivity. In the centre, you worry about his lack of height.

If he's anywhere near as good as David Thompson, I won't mind where he plays.

True enough, Tommo was a legendary player for his talent and commitment. However, he did struggle when senile Souey played him on the left wing (Genclerbirligi?...)

I remember the protracted transfer negotiations to bring Tommo to Rovers being so frustrating. Coventry loved him and were really keen to keep him but they had to let him go in the end. I was so excited when he signed and then he made his debut against Boro and all the reports read like any fans dream - apparently he was outstanding on the right wing.

I think thats a pretty melodramatic way of looking at it. THere is no way he can play in the centre of midfield. No pace, no strength, can't put a tackle in. Absolutely no chance. On the other hand there is an argument for him going out on the right wing, or behind the striker in a 4231 formation. I'm sure Allardyce will have a look at him over the summer.

That said, that Plymouth fans are dubious about his standard overall is not really encouraging.

I agree with everything you say but is Carlos any different? In January, I'd have sent King Carlos back to his homeland and bring Gally back to his homeland. The saving in Carlos' wages would of allowed to bring in another midfielder on loan and thus benefited the team.

OKeefe another local boy-so are we any better than Middlesboro with all our International Mercenaries....rather than NWest boys.

Face facts....Gally only started 27 games(plus 47 as sub!) Beattie pushed out too early. For Derbs see Gally. Judge, Blackman and OKeefe the next 3.

We have a dysfuctional Academy with no emphasis on Youth progression. Clearly the fault of Mr Mark Hughes.

Next will be the FIFA 6 + 5 rule and we will not be ready.

OKeefe another local boy-so are we any better than Middlesboro with all our International Mercenaries....rather than NWest boys.

Face facts....Gally only started 27 games(plus 47 as sub!) Beattie pushed out too early. For Derbs see Gally. Judge, Blackman and OKeefe the next 3.

We have a dysfuctional Academy with no emphasis on Youth progression. Clearly the fault of Mr Mark Hughes.

Next will be the FIFA 6 + 5 rule and we will not be ready.

Beattie would never have made it at Ewood-the crowd would not have given him the time he needed at Southampton to make it.

Agreed the Academy is extremely disappointing and has been for the whole decade.

Can't quite understand why it's all MH's fault.

mad as it sounds because of his finishing, i'd have thought in the eyes of a lot of premiership managers roberts would be one of the first to find a new home as the guy puts in a shift every match and up until the the last decisive moment does everything you'd want from a top centre forward to keep the opposition defenders busy. I'm really not as down on the guy as a lot on here and feel we need what he offers for the rest of this season alongside roque, i guarentee we'd struggle to bin off mccarthy more so than roberts.

another plymouth fan

personally i love gallagher when not playing through injury he has been the spark in the team, creating something from nothing and always able to see a shot or pass.

i will also be the first to admit that since Boxing day he has been off form, until recently. however when you see the tackle that injured himand realised that he played the week after i think you will understand why he may have backed out of tackles and been slightly off form.

http://www.pafc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,1...1499668,00.html (about halfway down the page)

Beattie would never have made it at Ewood-the crowd would not have given him the time he needed at Southampton to make it.

Agreed the Academy is extremely disappointing and has been for the whole decade.

Can't quite understand why it's all MH's fault.

It was probably the best move for Beattie. Get him away from his mates from his school days etc allowed him to concentrate on his career.

It is something that can hold players back sometimes when they play for their hometown team. Some need to move and gain their independence. It can be the making of them.

Perhaps that is what Gally and Derbs really need. Or perhaps they are just not good enough for the top flight. We will see in time...

• 2 weeks later...

It seems that Judge is eclipsing Gally at Plymouth with a totally contrasting attitude to the Scotsman. Whilst Judge is putting his heart and soul into every game, despite being moved around the pitch every half an hour, Gally is often returning to his sulky self (in between scoring the odd goal).

Also, heard an update on BBC about Frank Fielding making a mess of a kick but redeeming himself and saving his team by performing a slide tackle to stop the attacker. I'd love to see that.

Archived