BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Sunderland Preview Mark II

Flopsy

very poor result on Saturday for Rovers. I have backed Ince since the 1st day he became manager of Rovers, but sadly saturday's perfomance was just not good enough. I don't understand why he played Oojier at left full back, when he could have played Warnock there and played Tugay in midfield.

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel better after a few days of reflection.

I was wavering toward thinking about a change of manager but I have dismissed that notion. Ince is our manager and if we give him support (as fans and financially) I think he can get us out of this mess.

This could be his epiphany, we will see at WHL. Hughes was in the bottom three going into December a couple of years ago and we managed to get a run together and get us out of trouble. Souness signed Andy Cole around Christmas time and fired us up the league.

We need some inspirational signings in January.

Ince is used to having his back against the wall, I think this could be when we see the best of him.

If not, then we are screwed :)

I think it is pretty clear now sadly that absolute no top international or top Premier League player is going to come to Rovers because Paul Ince personally attracting them to the club.

That is pretty harsh IMO, we will see in January whether PI can bring the top drawer players to Ewood.

I know people are talking about signings - and I agree we need a quality right sided midfielder (we did in summer), but at least we can take heart that the team that was so shocking in the second half against Sunderland is not our best XI, we have at least 6 players to come back into the team. (Dunn, Grella, Nelsen, Emerton, Ollson, McCarthy) at least we weren't humiliated with our best team out.

Not that this is any excuse for the performance - but is one of the reasons why I think we can turn the corner once people come back from injury

I admire the optimism on here I really do, but what has anyone seen over the last few months on and off the pitch to suggest that things will miraculously turn around?

Ince did actually say that he expected a few good results along with a few bad ones this season. It would be a bit inconsistent, like Gareth Southgate's first one at Boro he said.

Ince did actually say that he expected a few good results along with a few bad ones this season. It would be a bit inconsistent, like Gareth Southgate's first one at Boro he said.

Well he's wrong. Its been very consistent-------------3 wins out of 13,3 goals scored at home,1 home win. I'd love some inconsistency right now!

I don't get why people say Ince would be no good in a relegation scrap, surely Macclesfield being all those points adrift but somehow managing to stay up (which won him his early reputation) disproves that?

The difference being that with Macclesfield he joined a club already facing relegation as opposed to joining a club that finished 7th and dragging them down. We didn't hire him so that we could learn about his ability to avoid relegation.

I'm not saying he's white as snow but it isn't his fault alone that we are doing poorly. He was left with one huge problem.

I just disagree with the "when the chips are down he'll buckle" comments. Seems the opposite to me.

And on the other side of the scale, nobody can accuse him of only being a relegation stopgap because he got MK Dons promoted and won the Windshields Cup playing some good football.

We need to get the balance right and get a settled XI.

A quick fix sacking will serve no purpose at this stage. As previously mentioned by others, look at Southgate now. The field wasn't exactly awe inspiring last time and is unlikely to be again in the near future. Yet it could cost us dear. There is not much money in the kitty. Ince will not be on the biggest wage(compared to some we may desire). For Rovers to survive we need to be able to build. This starts with Ince. This season still has plenty of games left. 3 more points at this stage would presumably have had people leaping at a European place! There is going to be no big money to attract a huge name, just more of the same. And we certainly do not want a big investor to come along and bankroll a big name, because one thing is for sure, our big investor won't be as big as everyone elses.

I'm not saying he's white as snow

I wouldn't say that either! :lol:

On a serious note, leaving aside the merits of the situation, I think those calling for Ince to be sacked imminently are going to be sorely disappointed.

Judging by the results and performances Souness got away with towards the end of his tenure, I think he would have had to be caught in flagrante with each of the directors' wives before they would have considered sacking him and footing the rather hefty compensation bill!

Judging by the results and performances Souness got away with towards the end of his tenure, I think he would have had to be caught in flagrante with each of the directors' wives before they would have considered sacking him and footing the rather hefty compensation bill!

As I have said before .... will there be one? I would imagine that BRFC would have been in a position to insist that no compensation be paid if we are relegated / the manager is dispensed with in a certain time period etc. We'd be walking into a situation with 'eyes wide shut' otherwise.

As I have said before .... will there be one? I would imagine that BRFC would have been in a position to insist that no compensation be paid if we are relegated / the manager is dispensed with in a certain time period etc. We'd be walking into a situation with 'eyes wide shut' otherwise.

Wouldn't have thought there would be any particular reason for Ince to agree to terms like that either Gordon.

And I hardly think we're the hardest negotiators in the world these days in light of the fact Bellamy was allowed to leave for 6m and Arsenal reportedly got 50% of the profit on Bentley even though we reportedly ended up forking out 3m for him initially.

Wouldn't have thought there would be any particular reason for Ince to agree to terms like that either Gordon.

And I hardly think we're the hardest negotiators in the world these days in light of the fact Bellamy was allowed to leave for 6m and Arsenal reportedly got 50% of the profit on Bentley even though we reportedly ended up forking out 3m for him initially.

In hindsight both players still did represent good business, but not as good as it might have been! But then again hindisght is a widespread commodity whilst foresight is a much much rarer talent.

Archived