BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Sunderland Preview Mark II

Flopsy

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was not at the game, nor did I see it on TV so I can't comment on the performance. However, the result is not good. A home defeat to a team who will be close to us in May. Our 2nd string beat their 1st 11 in the week, then the same outfit beat our supposed 1st 11 on Saturday. Strange. What was out formation? Did we have any last minute injuries?

I don't think we should off Ince, it won't do us any good. There are plenty of bad teams in this league and we will pick up points somewhere along the line. Hopefully Ince will either lean on Winterburn to pull his finger out or sort it himself as we leak so many easy goals. Is it tactical? Positional? Psychological?

Hopefully we're not in the bottom 3 at Christmas, that's never a good sign.

• Backroom

I've tried to defend Ince all along whilst still being worried, now I'm quite baffled as to what to say.

If Ince does go you can bet Sam will get the call

We're looking at a long hard winter after that result. Whatever was said in the Sunderland dressing room had the desired effect, we lost total control of the match from the start of the second half and as the game wore on the inevitablitly of their seond could be felt all around me on the Blackburn End. I was only suprised there wasn't more booing at the end because that was abject.

Sunderland weren't even a good side, that's the worry - we were just pathetic once again going forward. Our only threat was from Pedersen corners, and he was dragged off yet Warnock stayed on the pitch! Terrible, terrible performance, too many players not playing in their correct positions and absolutely zero creativity from any of our pedestrian midfielders. By the time we have another winnable game (Stoke at home) it will be too late, we'll be bottom. If we lose to Stoke that will be the end for Ince I feel because relegation really isn't an option for us.

I can't think of one positive from the game, it was that bad against another team that will struggle this season. I'm really really angry tonight.

Tell John Williams to get on his hands and knees and beg Tony Parkes to come back, to steady the ship for now and until the end of the season. Sack Ince and hope John Williams learns a lesson, cost cutting won't work. The board are sucking us dry, you've got the Bentley money, now F%&k off on your Yachts.

That was the worst shower of sh@te I have ever seen in the second half of a football match. The worst ever. We are in a relegation battle there is no two ways about it. How can a team play well and create chances in the first half play that poorly in the second?

I'm not going to say those people who said Ince wasn't or even isn't good enough are correct, not yet but it won't be long on that evidence. How long do we give him? Christmas might be too long.

Utterly depressed and angry after that performance. No excuses.

I hate it when people just disagree for the hell of it!

Explain why you disagree... :huh:

its just personal opinion. if you look at the way Sam consistantly got his Bolton team to overacheive. i just think he would do well here. Never really got the same feeling with curbishly, although i acknowledge he did well at charlton

Ince is just one of the lads. He doesn't inspire me with any confidence as a manager.

A la Brian Kidd...good call for me.

I cant add anything about the game that hasn't already been said,so frustrated and saddened with all things Rovers at the moment.

Jason Roberts? we might as well have had a dustbin with a blue 'n' white shirt on in his place :angry:

Roberts was absolute garbage again today and I also thought Simpson had a shocker at right back.

Ooijer is just not a left back, where was Ollson or why not Warnock?

The defense in the 2nd half was a shambles!

A midfield containing Andrews and Mokoena is probably the worst I've ever seen Rovers put out on the pitch!

Well guys and girls, just arrived back home in Leyland fromt he game, let me be the first to say that the second half was as bad as it will ever get :(

As I left Ewood, totally dejected, that big black relegation cloud has settled over the stadium and I for one cannot see anyway its going to be dispersed.

I thought about todays game being the one chance for 3 points in the next 5 matches, how wrong can one be. Rev, I missed you at the game so this is for you. Rovers are or should be the clearest relegation favourites since Derby County after todays inempt capitulation.

As the teams were read out, I was pleased to see a 4-4-2 formation. The team set up appeared right but I couldnt understand why young Olsson wasnt left back. Aside of Ooijer on the left, it looked balanced enough and cetainly, it seemed strong enough to get the 3 points on offer today.

So, the first half began as it ended, Rovers on top. !st minute should have seen Warnock smash the net but he missed a sitter and the plaudits for that chance has to be the header from Andrews to set it up. Rev take note of the applause for that chance.

After that it was a constant threat to the Sunderland goal and how we managed only 1-0 at half time only Sunderland can ask Lady Luck. We should have been 3 or 4 to the good and the game should have been wrapped up. Rovers were good for the lead, 4-4-2 solid even if Roberts wasnt exactly brilliant, he was causing mayhem in the Sunderland defence. The rest of the team looked ok, plenty of effort, plenty of movement and you could sense the team in Blue and White were set for the win we so much wanted to see. I cant recall any situtations that caused Rovers grief in the first half and I have to say that The Axe was playing superbly in the middle of the park, always running and always there to break up Sunderlands moves forward. The defence looked solid whilst up front we looked okay. Roberts ineffectiveness still troubled a poor Sunderland back 4.

As the teams came out for the second half, I considered what PI must have said to the team. Surely, it must have been "More of the same lads".

Within 20 seconds of the restart, we had given the ball away twice easliy and had conceded possession in our own half. No longer did we looked composed, no longer was there any movement and no longer did the defence and midfield look solid. 48th minute corner sees Sunderland get a gift as an equaliser nestles in our net.

We then saw the disintegration of our teams tactics and formation as Sunderland completely tore into us. Rovers couldnt win anything, they couldnt tackle and they couldnt pass to each other.

Thi was even more compounded when our manager made the two worst substitutions that I have witnessed this season. Instead of bulking up the team he weakens it by removing Roberts and Andrews and replacing them with Carlos and Sir Matty D, at the same time, he changes our formation to a 4-4-1-1 line up which instantly relieves the pressure from a previously overworked Sunderland defence. It was at THAT point that we imploded as a team.

This was even more compounded when a series of silly passes and bad defending lets in Cisse to score an easy winner. 2-1 game over and Rovers are set to drop into the bottom 3 of the top tier of football.

For the rest of the game, we saw huff, puff and long ball tactics, all of which produced a total of ZILCH. Only when we brought Tugay on, and again I say for the wrong player in Pederson, did we manage to go somewhere back to a 4-4-2 offering did we create anything worthwhile when from a corner The Axe had a chance deflected by the lucky Ferdinand.

The game was quickly finished as we throw 3 points to Sunderland giving them a massive lift in the process whilst Rovers now have given their own fand yet another totally abject and disgraceful result in the form of a defeat to what has to be one of the worst teams ever to visit Ewood in recent years. yes folks, Sunderland were dire at best and that emphasises just hpw bad Rovers were in the second 45 minutes.

You cant argue with the first 45 minutes although I could point out that Roberts was rubbish but again we already knew this. Rovers were good for a change and the signs were there that we could win the game.

You have to find fault with the management for what happened at half time. I do not know what the teamtalk was about but it didnt appear to have been anything positive. Was it the tea ? The coffee ? The biscuits ?

I have seen the anti Ince things written and you can fully understand them. I am certain that I have seen nothing to say or suggest that he has the quality or ability to get our team out of the trouble it finds itself in. For me, the time has come for a change before it is too late.

I say NOW because we now have yet another International week coming up and players will be away leaving the club short on training.

I say NOW because clearly there are issues in his management style and tactical awareness or lack of it.

I say NOW because his substitutions today were bloody awful along with the formation change.

I say NOW because we need a manager that can get the team back together whilst at the same identifying the players who will improve our current team.

I do not want to see us waste £5m on Carlos because as we saw today, he is ineffective against teams with height, he is ineffective against teams who battle and Rovers can ill afford to have a passenger in the team. I do not want to see Sir Matty D on the wings or in midfield, its like being in a team with 10 men such is his inability to be an effective weapon.

I dont want to see Ooijer playing left back any longer, I want to see a naturally left footed player there because it will balance the team in particularly the back 4. i dont want to see hoof it up football when RSC is stranded alone playing against 2 big defenders even more so when the support isnt there and I dont want to see 4-5-1 or 4-4-1-1 at home to teams we should be beating with ease.

The team today, on paper alone, was stronger than the team that beat Sunderland on Wednesday evening, so what happened ? It was virtually the same Sunderland team that outplayed a team containing 8 International players (OR MORE).

I simply cannot be bothered to give ratings such is my anger at losing today. I support BRFC but right now I dont support the management. It was a truly awful second half and many many fans left early. Such are the current inept managerial decisions that are being made, we are slowly seeing Rovers being managed to a lower division as the standard of our football subsides to barely watchable.

I do NOT want to listen to lame excuses for todays lack of points I want honesty.

Mr Williams and The Board, its over to you.

Ince out, he is clueless and is taking this club backwards. Didn't the fans walking out with 15 left show Williams that he should swallow his pride and admit its not going to work. A completely disgusting performance second half, we were ran ragged and just sat back and soaked it up, even at 2-1 (until Tugay came on).

Robinson 6 Was at fault for a goal

Simpson 6

Samba 7

Khiz 7

Ooijer 6 He's a centre back not a left back

Andrews 6 Did okay first half but out of position

Mokoena 6.5 Did quite well

Warnock 5 Couldn't pass to a man second half

Pedersen 6 His set pieces were good :huh:

Roberts 4 :o

Roque 6 Did little really, but bad service

Tugay 7.5 Actually looked capable of doing something

Derbs 5

A midfield containing Andrews and Mokoena is probably the worst I've ever seen Rovers put out on the pitch!

I saw Mokoena stumbling forward with the ball and thought, what is Samba doing so far forward, oh, wait a minute it's the axe.......

I never leave my seat until the final whistle, but today was even too much for me. A total shambles of a second half.

And while we looked OK in the first half, the standard of play was not brilliant.

Ince brought off Andrews and Roberts, and replaced them with two players who were an embarrassment. Sir Matt was a disgrace not tracking back, not trying. And Villenueava's entrance meant we went from 442 to 451. Andrews actually looked better on the right.

There was an awful atmosphere at the ground: the Blackburn End, or what there was of it was silent.

This is just like the Kidd era, and I think the Board needs to think very carefully about Ince position.

Curbishley would be worth a look at right now.

Let's analyze things - Spurs, City and Newcastle are not gonna get relegated. We can rule them out.

So who can we actually finish above? Stoke, West Brom... after today, maybe not even Sunderland. Stoke also have much more fire than we do.

Honestly, if we want 17th place, only Big Sam can save us. He can grind out results. Forget about Bilic or such foreigners with high ambitions. We need someone who can produce results out of nothing, because that's what we have.

1864 has it about right.

I'll just add for the moment, for all Rovers domination in the first half, we created [i'm pretty sure] ONE chance from open play all afternoon - the one for warnock early on. Everything else came from set plays. It's been obvious to some of the fans for quite a while which way the club is heading. To be totally honest, I can't see who we're going to find that we can beat.

My guess is that the board have some problems that they will be looking at between now and January. Can they really back the manager financially if things don't improve?

I have a bad feeling about this game, I don't see us creating enough chances and Sunderland may well nick a win. 1-2 away win.

Well I was wrong about the chances but right about the result. Apologies to those around me in the JW when the second went in but I was a trifle upset.

The first half was very, very comfortable. Rovers totally dominated the game and a 3 or 4 - 0 scoreline would not have flattered us on chances created. It wasn't the greatest performance but it was controlled, we kept the ball and we put Sunderland's defence under a lot of pressure. Sunderland are not a good team or so we said at HT, neither are Rovers that good and truth be known I have to agree with the MB member who thinks much of this team wouldn't shine in the Championship. On the second half performance we are going to find out if he's right. The stark reality is take RSC and Robinson out of today's side and we've got little to excite.

I've seen some poor performances at Ewood in my time. The second half today ranks with the poorest I can recall - the 1 - 0 home defeat to Stockport in the League Cup. I cannot recall Rovers falling apart so dramatically in any other game. For the first 30 minutes of the second half we simply got worse and worse unti the team was totally disjointed, incapable of a pass of any sort, Warnock and Ooijer in particular. I felt really sorry for Ooijer I think he'd have been happy just to be taken off let alone subbed. Roberts was shocking throughout the game, every ball which came his way he failed to collect.

Let there be no mistake Rovers collapsed completely in the second half and it was only when Tugay arrived we began to resemble a football team - in that we had one player who could control and use the ball. On the touchline it was clear Ince could not understand what was happening nor did he know what to do. On at least two occassions he looked utterly lost.

I've a great deal of faith in JW, I said when Ince was appointed we had to hope JW saw things the fans couldn't. The time for the experiment to end has arrived, JW has to face up to reality. Paul Ince is not a PL manager, perhaps he will be one day but he isn't now and Rovers cannot afford to let him learn. Relegation could mean we never return to the PL and the club slips into obscurity. The board have to bite the bullet now. Paul Ince will not lead us away from relegation and he must be replaced at the first opportunity.

Please don't ask me who. I don't care who it is. I'll take Allardyce if it means safety because at the present Rovers are in total freefall and facing certain relegation.

John Williams has to get this right.

Archived