BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Sam Allardyce

You might as well say it would have been averted if we'd have appointed Pep Guardiola.

Venky's were never going to, so it's a moot point.

This situation was unavoidable from the day they bought the club-

They were always going to remove a headstrong manager and his backers in the boardroom

They were always going to replace him with a yes man, due to the 'advice' of family friend Jerome Anderson and they were never going to replace the board with anyone but powerless puppets.

So, what are we rowing about?

Because we haven't been able to move on.

The change curve requires:

- Communication

- Emotional Support

- Direction and Guidance

We have not had any of these to any satisfactory level, so we continue to swing between anger and depression as infinitum. The changes which have taken place will never now be accepted. The only thing of any use now is...

Another change.

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I caught some of talksport whilst driving home last night, the debate was Allardyce and West Hams style of football. Caller after caller rang up and not 1 WestHam fan, whilst I was listening, said he/she was enjoying this season, in fact several have decided not to bother going until the football improves. Long balls lumped into the box, balls hammered into the corners, just terrible to watch was the comments coming back.

Sounds familiar doesn’t it.

I caught some of talksport whilst driving home last night, the debate was Allardyce and West Hams style of football. Caller after caller rang up and not 1 WestHam fan, whilst I was listening, said he/she was enjoying this season, in fact several have decided not to bother going until the football improves. Long balls lumped into the box, balls hammered into the corners, just terrible to watch was the comments coming back.

Which is why, although the man can grind out results, he will never win himself a top job. His footballing philosophy is anathema to the game.

Which is why, although the man can grind out results, he will never win himself a top job. His footballing philosophy is anathema to the game.

I don't know how many games you get to Topman but, speaking as someone who goes to all the games home and away, I can only say that Sam's football was a dream compared to the rubbish that Venky's and Kean have served up these past twelve months. I suppose if you find goals flying past Robbo at an alarming rate entertaining then you will have been regally entertained by the Venky brand of football.

I had 606 on on Saturday and the West Ham fans I heard were delighted to have a manager that gets results and can organise a side after years of unorganised mess masquerading as 'the West Ham way'.

35000 there on Saturday.

• Backroom

I'm not going to rewrite my own history and start thinking I enjoyed Sams tenure, I didn't it was mind numbing at times. People forget how we approached certain games back them, he got a lot right but a lot wrong also.

However that option is infinitely better than the one we face now.

I still believe there was a middle ground and it wasn't one end of the scale or the other but that is by the by it seems most people want to see in extremes.

However I thought he had changed his style up a bit in the Championship.

I don't know how many games you get to Topman but, speaking as someone who goes to all the games home and away, I can only say that Sam's football was a dream compared to the rubbish that Venky's and Kean have served up these past twelve months. I suppose if you find goals flying past Robbo at an alarming rate entertaining then you will have been regally entertained by the Venky brand of football.

That doesn't change the fact that Sam's style of football was mind-numbing, and plenty of regulars will say the same.

Big Sam had to work with massive financial constraints at Rovers, in his last summer I think we only signed Benjani.

Give him the money Kean had to spend and we might have played a better quality of football.

Either way, i've always been in the 'results over performance' group. Hughes's 'bully boy' football wasn't exactly pretty, but it was successful so no-one was moaning.

They were always going to remove a headstrong manager and his backers in the boardroom

They were always going to replace him with a yes man, due to the 'advice' of family friend Jerome Anderson and they were never going to replace the board with anyone but powerless puppets.

This is why Venkys are failing.

Football matches and battle have something in common. They are both won by those who best blend brains and spine. Fighters like Sam do well. Lickspittles like Kean not so well.

I think this is fantasy. The main difference between the top manager and Sam is the quality of player they have to work with.

Sam is more than capable of winning himself a top job. In fact, I believe if West Ham win the Championship and do well their first year in the PL, that by year 3 Sam will have an offer from a "top club".

Sam was approaching the middle ground between the so-called "hoofball" and a more passing style but it was always going to be slow, steady progress as he had significantly less funding than he did at Bolton for both playing and backroom staff.

He made a couple of sketchy signings but I am sure that with "net 5m per window" as V's promised he would have ensured we would be in a much safer position than now. We'd possibly still have Jones and Junior on contract too, after all, Jones was known to like Sam and Junior had already signed for him once before. Roberts was also half way out the door when Sam was knifed.

I've heard plenty of fans at WHAM saying SA is doing a good job there and he is. He's brought in Baldock and James Thompkins and Collison have started training on.

Other West Ham fans have always felt that they should be seeing Barcelona every week. We've had fans like that for the last few years. No harm in wanting better football but it's sometimes a case of waiting and taking into account the club's situation. People like Topman, Gav, Braddock and Revidge would have done well to remember that before they cheered SA's sacking and Kean's arrival.

People like Topman, Gav, Braddock and Revidge would have done well to remember that before they cheered SA's sacking and Kean's arrival.

I hope you've got proof to back up that statement bish :lol:

I hope you've got proof to back up that statement bish :lol:

Have I made a mistake Gav? You often get this "prove it" from the Anti-Allardyce lot but I really can't be bothered unless you absolutely insist that you weren't happy that he was fired. Your not going to insist that I do a search etc to "prove it" are you? ;)

Have I made a mistake Gav? You often get this "prove it" from the Anti-Allardyce lot but I really can't be bothered unless you absolutely insist that you weren't happy that he was fired. Your not going to insist that I do a search etc to "prove it" are you? ;)

Not at all, I'm joking Bish :tu:

That doesn't change the fact that Sam's style of football was mind-numbing, and plenty of regulars will say the same.

And you really think what we are watching now is better? Give me mind-numbing over this dross anyday. The simple fact is that football is about points. Sam got them. Kean doesn't.

Twelve months on, and you and others still cannot accept you were wrong when it was a as plain as the nose on your face that sacking Sam was idiotic and that appointing Kean to replace him more than likely was going to fail.

What is it you're not understanding here? I was a big fan of all that Sam achieved here. I thought his sacking was obscene and the appointment of Kean was laughable. I do not need to admit i was wrong, because i wasn't. I could see it as much as the next man.

My issue is with the fans like yourself who think anyone who didn't appreciate the Allardyce brand of football are responsible for the mess we're in. You take every opportunity to say 'i told you so'. Well what exactly did you tell us all? There were a handful of people who needed telling. The vast majority of fans appreciated what a good job he was doing under the restraints. Very very few wanted him gone. Yet the staunchly loyal Allardyce brigade blame anyone who didn't like the style of football as the cause for his departure and also ask whether we're happier with the current situation. Of course we're not! But it isn't a decision we had any influence upon.

Put simply, you didn't have to like his football to appreciate his achievement at Rovers.

Anyone who is honest enough to admit they didn't like it, isn't responsible for his departure.

Anyone who enjoyed his football has no right to take any moral high ground.

And you really think what we are watching now is better? Give me mind-numbing over this dross anyday. The simple fact is that football is about points. Sam got them. Kean doesn't.

Football is about entertainment and points, not just points.

And I was entertained by Sam's football. I sat on the edge of my seat, glued to the TV, hoping for a Rovers win. Which was more frequent than what we get under Kean.

I don't get those whom see to think football is only entertaining if effeminate boys (Arsenal) pass it along nice little triangles. Sure there is a lot of build up, but it is just as likely to be wasted effort. I'd take Hughes or Sam any day of the week.

Wham fans are remarkably stupid. They bang on about playing nice football because it's part of their proud history. When was the last time they won anything? They don't spend vast amounts of money, and Allardyces instructions were 'get us up'

Now, they're 2nd in the league ad I

Bunkum Gav.

If you want some entertainment, go watch some Morris Dancing.

Matty's right, the pleasure is getting the better of your opponents. Out think 'em and out score 'em. Same as in any professional sport.

Archived