BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Sam Allardyce

People can have any opinion they like on Sam, I thought he was excellent, but so did JW and that was all that mattered.

What got my goat is when the rabid anti Sam lot tried to make out that under Kean we have played 'good footy'- when apart from a odd pretty passing spell and a few showings of pace and trickery from Hoilett we have played a less effective version of Allardyce football.

Which is even starting to make me think Sam was spot on in his handling of Hoilett.

The inclusion of whom is one of the (very few) things people has attached as a success to Kean.

It's therefore ironic that Kean's accommodation of Hoilett has destroyed the team to the point where he won't be signing for Rovers in the current set up. Great innit?

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fair play, PV, a very honest post BUT...

The massive factor in all this is the budget constraints we were, and plainly still are, working under.

The is no doubt in my mind that Allardyce was the perfect match for a spendthrift Rovers. The problems arose when Venkys turned up and set different expectations. Their impatience will Allardyce struck a chord and raised expectations for something/someone better. Sadly it now looks like there was a different, more sinister reason for Sam's removal and, looking at it in 20-20 hindsight, my opinion is that there was never was never any possibility of a more credible manager.

Now that Venkys appear to have lost interest, there seems little chance of that changing.

Absolutely Jisty. Absolutely. He was the perfect fit for us then and now. I even believe, had an owner with genuine wealth turned up he might have had the wherewithall to have build a side capable of challenging in a more 'pleasing' style. Sam Allardyce the man talks with a clear authority about the game. He commands respect and is the type of character you'd like to see at the helm of your football club. I get that 110%, i really do. However, i am honest enough to admit, that i didn't enjoy the required style he used to maintain our premier league status.

I also agree entirely about expectations being rasied. Although to be fair to Venky's (not a phrase i thought i'd be using any time soon), they only ever said things about £5m per window (or atleast Mrs D did anyway). Expectation was raised firstly by that Syed fraudster and talk of £300m investment etc.. Then by Beckham/ Ronaldinho talk from that fat twit Balaji who Akon makes dance like a monkey at social events. That fateful period of time poisoned too many fans with delusions of grandeur. But it happened nonetheless. I still don't think it is fair for fans who were up in arms about Sam's sacking to come out with statements like 'i told you so' or 'you got what you wished for'. I doubt even the most imaginative dingle with minimal genetic abnormalities could have dreamt up a worse scenario for Rovers. It's an absolute shambles. Nobody asked for this mess. But some folk believe that anyone who wasn't entirely happy with the Allardyce brand is in some way liable for a slice of the blame. Nonsensical.

Good pos, PVt. "An owner with genuine wealth" buying Rovers, eh? We really should have known better.

There's no doubt that there were times when the football wasn't good and his away record was abysmal. However, the "total hoofball" tag is a myth, plus we had pride in the club and a return to Fortress Ewood after Ince had sacked it from within.

If we didn't know what was good for us at the time, the cold turkey following Sam's departure has really hit home.

It's like being given medicine to keep you alive but it makes you feel sick - versus having it replaced with Skittles and dying.

I remember that people on here were delighted when they saw SA had been sacked and used the "we might get Jol in" as an excuse to justify it. Jol is nowhere near the manager that Sam is and to hear that there are still people sticking up for the ++++ who is in charge now just goes to show how little some people know about football.

Sam might have gone a little far with one or two comments (the Benitez feud was poor) but he absolutely understood the fundamentals of the club he was managing and was already bringing through the youth that Kean has tried to steal the credit for. You can bet there would be more chance that they (Jones and Hoillet) might still be here now and on longer contracts if he was.

Those who celebrated his sacking after the progress he had made should hang their heads, or at least admit they were in the wrong.

I wanted Allardyce gone because I was sick to death of going to away games expecting to get beat and and the 'Big Four' heavily.

I remember hearing Allardyce bollocked his players for attacking at 3-0 down against Chelsea in '09. The infamous game at United was appalling and embarrassing.

I never wanted Kean though, when it was announced he was temp I didn't have a clue who he was but was happy with that. The day Kean was appointed manager it left me perplexed.

In hindsight I now know I'm wrong an would have Allardyce back in a heartbeat.

I wanted Allardyce gone because I was sick to death of going to away games expecting to get beat and and the 'Big Four' heavily.

How do you feel now that not only are the Big Four beating us heavily but we are near bottom of the league and the so-called smaller clubs are beating us too ?

Your and your ilk will never understand there was never any reason for "wanting Allardyce gone".

How do you feel now that not only are the Big Four beating us heavily but we are near bottom of the league and the so-called smaller clubs are beating us too ?

Your and your ilk will never understand there was never any reason for "wanting Allardyce gone".

Read PV's post which sums up pretty much my feelings on Sam - and I dare say those of many others as well.

• Backroom

Unfortunately it was never in Venky's plans to keep Allardyce. The day they took over it was a matter of when he was gone, not if. Desai showed her true colours straight away by lying about giving him time and supporting him, then promptly sacking him weeks later.

Iv said this before but I actually think we were playing it on the deck alot more in his last 4 months or so than in earlier months of his tenure..

His style of football in not as bad as everyone makes out in my opinion...

When he was fired I felt as though it was a nail in the coffin the final nail being the removal of John Williams...

Look at how both of us and Notlob have both suffered since he departed from both clubs. Sure they'll be appreciation chants on Tuesday night.

Kean has finally realised you can't play "football" and win and now has fully converted to some second-rate Big Sam approach without the defensive steel and ability to win the important games at home. I also had to laugh at Radio Rovers where they where suggesting we play Samba upfront, who's idea would that be?

I also agree entirely about expectations being rasied. Although to be fair to Venky's (not a phrase i thought i'd be using any time soon), they only ever said things about £5m per window (or atleast Mrs D did anyway). Expectation was raised firstly by that Syed fraudster and talk of £300m investment etc.. Then by Beckham/ Ronaldinho talk from that fat twit Balaji who Akon makes dance like a monkey at social events. That fateful period of time poisoned too many fans with delusions of grandeur.

From the beginning, collectively and individually, the Raos said conflicting things. Naturally we picked up on the good sounding bits and glossed over the bits we didn't like. They lied to us from the start. Never met anyone like them nor wish to.

How did you tell us so you only joined in may?

Many did Theno, Jim, matty and countless others and have been persistent in that, I was undecided on it and hoped if we brought the right man in it may not have been a disaster, it could hardly have gone worse.

I don't think anyone could envisage who they'd hire, I'd never even heard of Steve Kean and I wish it stayed that way.

Do you know Tom I'd wager age comes into this if we were to conduct a survey. Wisdom = intelligence + experience imo. ;)

From the beginning, collectively and individually, the Raos said conflicting things. Naturally we picked up on the good sounding bits and glossed over the bits we didn't like. They lied to us from the start. Never met anyone like them nor wish to.

I agree with that. I've been around the block in industry for longer than I care to remember and I've met some idiots in my time but this lot are in a league of their own.

Nobody got their way for goodness sake. There weren't people outside Ewood Park demanding Sam's head. Yes some people were extremely vocal when Sam was appointed. That, i'm sure was in part due to his approach to the game and equally his history with a local rival of sorts. Listen, i'm not citicising the man by any means. But i didn't enjoy his football. I make no bones about it and i cannot fathom why anyone else would. It was effective but miserable to watch. There were occassions when going a goal down meant game over. Or atleast it seemed that way. We were devoid of any ideas going forward and heavily reliant on set pieces.

Now before i get the obligatory beating with the 'And it's so much better now' stick, i would like to stress that neither i or any other fan i know, did not wish for this. Much like Tom said above, a decent replacement would have ensured a happy medium. I am sure of that. Sadly it has become a black and white issue to many. You're either a Sam fan who appreciated the pragmatic approach, or a Kean fan who is glad the club is rid of that evil Mr Allardyce. Well thats just bobbins. There are shades of grey.

'effective' is the wrong word patrick, given that we were consistently mid table or higher with the second lowest spending money the word that fits so much better is 'essential'.

I can't think of anyone who thought the football was great to watch, but I know plenty who knew there was no option after Mark Hughes left (and lets be honest Hughes's teams football could be grim at times... as can just about every other teams football in the Prem). It just seemed a whole lot better walking to and from Ewood Park in those days

Which is even starting to make me think Sam was spot on in his handling of Hoilett.

The inclusion of whom is one of the (very few) things people has attached as a success to Kean.

It's therefore ironic that Kean's accommodation of Hoilett has destroyed the team to the point where he won't be signing for Rovers in the current set up. Great innit?

I believe that Allardyce would have made Hoilett a more complete player. Kean through a combination of weakness and inept man management has indulged him too much.

I think Hoilett might have a shock with his next manager. Not unlike David Bentley must have had.

Glad this thread has popped up, i can write positive things and think of happier times.......all the other threads i use for therapy to vent my spleen.

Great manager for us, criminal that he went, he would never have been the willing side party to the asset raping of the club that the current incumbant must surely have been made aware of from day one, hate wham with a passion but i am very glad to see he is doing a good job purely to rub it in the faces of all the fans that wanted him out and all the higher ups that made it happen.

Just a shame we are going down because we all know kean is going absolutely nowhere and will be here in the championship when wham are in the prem because i would love to see the reaction between the 2 on the sidelines if we played them.

Absolutely Jisty. Absolutely. He was the perfect fit for us then and now. I even believe, had an owner with genuine wealth turned up he might have had the wherewithall to have build a side capable of challenging in a more 'pleasing' style. Sam Allardyce the man talks with a clear authority about the game. He commands respect and is the type of character you'd like to see at the helm of your football club. I get that 110%, i really do. However, i am honest enough to admit, that i didn't enjoy the required style he used to maintain our premier league status.

I also agree entirely about expectations being rasied. Although to be fair to Venky's (not a phrase i thought i'd be using any time soon), they only ever said things about £5m per window (or atleast Mrs D did anyway). Expectation was raised firstly by that Syed fraudster and talk of £300m investment etc.. Then by Beckham/ Ronaldinho talk from that fat twit Balaji who Akon makes dance like a monkey at social events. That fateful period of time poisoned too many fans with delusions of grandeur. But it happened nonetheless. I still don't think it is fair for fans who were up in arms about Sam's sacking to come out with statements like 'i told you so' or 'you got what you wished for'. I doubt even the most imaginative dingle with minimal genetic abnormalities could have dreamt up a worse scenario for Rovers. It's an absolute shambles. Nobody asked for this mess. But some folk believe that anyone who wasn't entirely happy with the Allardyce brand is in some way liable for a slice of the blame. Nonsensical.

Great post Patrick :tu: .... at least until the last three sentences when you reverted to type.

I remember that people on here were delighted when they saw SA had been sacked and used the "we might get Jol in" as an excuse to justify it. Jol is nowhere near the manager that Sam is and to hear that there are still people sticking up for the ++++ who is in charge now just goes to show how little some people know about football.

Sam might have gone a little far with one or two comments (the Benitez feud was poor) but he absolutely understood the fundamentals of the club he was managing and was already bringing through the youth that Kean has tried to steal the credit for. You can bet there would be more chance that they (Jones and Hoillet) might still be here now and on longer contracts if he was.

Those who celebrated his sacking after the progress he had made should hang their heads, or at least admit they were in the wrong.

Spot on bish.

Jol! :lol: Not fit to lace Allardyces boots. Worse still I remember the favourites to succeed him amongst the know nowts on here were him, Sssshteve Maclaren and Alan Shearer!!:wstu: Championship manager and Fantasy football has much to answer for.

I remember hearing Allardyce bollocked his players for attacking at 3-0 down against Chelsea in '09. The infamous game at United was appalling and embarrassing.

I never wanted Kean though, when it was announced he was temp I didn't have a clue who he was but was happy with that. The day Kean was appointed manager it left me perplexed.

In hindsight I now know I'm wrong an would have Allardyce back in a heartbeat.

Not easy admitting that you were wrong. Well done Ohmi I'm sure you are older and wiser... but unfortunately it doesn't help much now does it?

Sam Allardyce job as a football manager is to win games which is what he did at rovers!!! His job is not to attractive football but to get results!!!

End of!!!

His orders from the trust I believe were simply to avoid relegation and stay in the Prem at all costs. Yet he copped the blame! Pretty much borne out by the end of the season results when he allowed the team to open up once the 40 point safety target had been reached.

I still think it was the biggest mistake that was made (sacking him). I remember feeling a strange feeling of helplessness, fear and anger at the situation when I first read he had been sacked. I was angry at both the owners and the fans that wanted him gone because a man of great managerial talent who had done such great work for us and deserved better was undeservedly treated like trash. We are now reaping the results of that despicable treatment, however I've moved on since, he is no longer our manager and he's not coming back.

Team needs to be rebuilt now and by a better manager who knows what he's doing. We have a core group of young players who can turn out to be great players, but they need discipline. They need to be moulded into top quality players, not let to roam free without guidance as Kean has done. I think it's too late now, but I hold out hope that money will be put in to make us jump straight back up and a rebuilding process can begin from there. Maybe we need a trial by fire right now, so that we can move on as a club.

Really? How'd you figure that out?

Jol has worked for some of the top clubs in Europe and has trophies to his name. I guess Sam could have the Championship title if he's lucky.

Seriously, I wish the 'I told you sos' could find something else to talk about. You've milked this one for all it's worth. What have we learned? Sacking a proven manager and replacing him with a coach doesn't yield success. Who'd da funk it!?

His orders from the trust I believe were simply to avoid relegation and stay in the Prem at all costs. Yet he copped the blame! Pretty much borne out by the end of the season results when he allowed the team to open up once the 40 point safety target had been reached.

Memory isn't what it was but I'm sure I remember some remarks from BFS - might have been about the time of the 'expert' comments - on how he wasn't just responsible for first team results, the jobs of dozens of folk at Ewood along with livelihoods of loads of Blackburn folk relied on him and Blackburn Rovers staying in the Prem.

Hope that's on the Venky's consciences (but I doubt it) cos it bloody well should be.

Ask the ticket office staff who won't be kept on when we get relegated if 'pragmatic football' was a reasonable price to pay for having a job. I suspect I know what the majority will answer.

This thread is disgusting. I cannot believe i have just read someone actually admitting the error of their ways apologetically and someone else patting them on the back for it! "There there my child, doesn't it feel better to repent your sins". Unbelievable!

Anyone is entitled to say they thought Sam Allardyce's side played football in an ugly ammer, a pretty manner or any other bleeding manner. My earlier point was most could see it was required in our circumstances. That does not mean it was enjoyable as a form of entertainment. Neither does it mean what is on offer now is any better. It most certainly is not.

I don't recall anyone protesting for Sam to be removed. There were the occassional ramblings of the odd idiot on here who swore never to set foot in Ewood Park until he was gone, but beyond that nothing. Nowt. Zip. However, there is a vocal group on these boards who believe that anyone who was less than 100% happy with Sam's brand of football is to be blamed for the current state of affairs. If there had been planes flying over head, yellow and black protest t-shirts on sale and banners unfurled at matches, then you'd have a point. SAM WAS NOT REMOVED FROM HIS POSITION BY FANS OR FAN PRESSURE. THE ONLY PEOPLE TO BLAME FOR SAM ALLARDYCE NO LONGER BEING AT BLACKBURN ROVERS ARE VENKY'S!!!

Sorry for going all Abbey at the end.

Archived