BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn V. Stoke City

• Backroom

Ha ha ha ha the co commentator on Football first just said that Fullers pathetic dive was a clear penalty.

On that note I thought peds could have had another for a push in the second half.

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We absorbed everything they threw at us in the air and hit them three times on the counter. Sam got his tactics spot on today. He's confident, experienced and tactically astute; an extremely competent manager.

How on earth has that defence conceded so many this season? Stoke City may not be the best team in the league, in fact they were dreadful today, but for defenders, their long ball game is extremely difficult to defend and our boys were superb.

Roberts is worse at one on ones than me.

sam is for us what obama is for the U.S. it was truly stunning when he came out from the dressing room with the scarf around his neck and a big smile on his face, which got even bigger when we started scoring. and the players was running around looking like :D all the time. and we didnt even get a yellow card, did we?! :mellow:

i can understand it though. a week ago i was really really worried for the club, but when i got to rovers.co.uk and saw the picture of big sam just after he signed i felt so confident just from that - and then he delivers this! 3 goals, two from benni, cleans sheet, no cards, and almost no real chances for stoke. i am so happy i cant describe it! FINALLY! been waiting for the big one for years now. just hope it keeps going like this through the holidays :D

I haven't been able to bring myself to watch MOTD for what seems like months - is it still on? It's not still bloody Lineker and Merk is it? :blink:

Seriously, best possible start for Fat Sam - relegation is still a possiblity lets face it (but the same can be said of 13 other teams) - and at least it's not a PROBABILITY any more!

Sorry Incey, big slap in the face for you today I'm afraid - no way should we behind that bunch of donkeys in the league.

The bookies aren't getting excited yet - we're still 2-1 to go down (same as West Ham). West Brom have probably gone (harsh but true) and Stoke are 4/7.

Tell you what though - anyone fancies a punt you can still get 8-1 on Hull. Doesn't sound a bad bet if you think about it - I reckon on a freefall after xmas.

Sorry ruining the thread - I'll get me coat. :unsure:

• Backroom

No illusions here snatch, its still a massive battle to stay up but I feel we can do it, we may be adrift but then there are a lot of other teams maybe 5 points above us, realistically ALL of those teams can't win every week so if we do what we have to do we SHOULD be ok.

3 points on Boxing day only puts us 2 points behind Sunderland don't forget.

Also having played the big 4 at home really all our home games are winnable if we can turn Ewood back into a place teams dread visiting.

Everyone played well. Every single player.

We were organised for once, Nelsen managed to go a whole game without making any mistakes and I said about 2-3 minutes before it was announced it would be between him and Benni Mac for MOTM.

Make no mistake, we were lucky today. How many times will Roberts get a gift of a pass like that from an opposition player?

It's about time we had some luck.

Well, this is my first game since last Xmas as I've been living in the states for over a year. Just flew in yesterday for 2 weeks and got tickets on the way back to my folks place from the airport.

Forget talk of Big Sam, it's obviously my lucky presence that brought us this win. <_<

But seriously I've not been able to watch any of the games apart from a few rare televised games, but if they improve on today's performance then we'll be alright!

Only downer today was watching some idiots in the jack walker upper having a to do with a couple of Asian supporters. I could see them putting their feet on the back of there chairs and making comments and remarks. But the police got involved eventually and they were eventually on their way. What is is with the mentality of some people?

Anyway, I'll be going to the City game lets hope the good form continues.

Some highlights from the TV for those that missed it:

- JW celebrating the 3rd goal like a true fan

- An utterly drenched Sam in full suit and tie grinning at full time (that "I'm back" grin)

- Lots and lots of smiles from the players

If Roberts had squared the ball instead of trying to shoot it would have been 5-0 and Benny was so unlucky not to bag a hat trick. Still a way to go but at least the belief is there, we have the quality and now we have the commitment and the manager.

The crowd of 23,000 was a bonus too (was expecting 18-odd). And they were magnificent. Guess it was the BFS factor

I guess they brought around 3000? That means 20000 of our fans when the last Saturday before Christmas usually means a lot go missing. Very encouraging.

A win, I'd forgotten what feeling one of those was like.

Obviously there were good points to take from this game such as organisation, forwards operating as a pair and not two individuals etc. It was also good to see Rovers not passing for passing's sake in areas of the pitch that don't hurt the opposotion.

But lets not got too carried away just yet. Paul Robinson flapped at two high balls and against better oppostion would have conceded at least one from them. Jason Roberts is a good foyle for Benni but lets not forget he still can't trap a ball and is dreadful when one on one with the keeper. Stevie Warnock was again poor. I also thought that was also Andrews' worst game for Rovers but Mr. Hansen put me right on that.

Hopefully we can build on that against Sunderland and City.

I guess they brought around 3000? That means 20000 of our fans when the last Saturday before Christmas usually means a lot go missing. Very encouraging.

Stoke sold 4,900 tickets meaning Rovers only had 18,000 fans

"BIG SAMS BLUE AND WHITE ARMY!!!"

The mood swing in five days surely couldn't have been any greater could it?

Down and out last Tuesday morning. Blackburn Rovers were lifeless, beaten, a pale, sad imitation of a once proud football club. Step forward John Williams and at last the imposter is ousted. Replaced ny a man of experience, a man whose every word so far has been immaculate and well judged, a big bloke with a big presence, someone fans and players alike can believe in again and clearly a proper football manager. We go and beat Stoke 3-0 and IMO play better second half but without the goals. It could easily have been 6-0 (hat tricks for Roberts and McCarthy).

What a cracking few days it's been. Bring on Sunderland - and Mark Hughes' Manchester City. That is going to be an absolute cracker. 22 Points before January? Don't rule it out.

Cracking result, heard commentary on radio as i was driving.

I almost caused an accident when I opened the radio to hear "Blackburn are 2 goals up".

Cant wait till we face Hughes, if he is still in charge then,

Manchester City boss Mark Hughes faces a players' revolt at Eastlands, with some of the squad holding an unofficial meeting over resentment towards both Hughes and Robinho. (News of the World)

I bear no ill-will towards Hughes, but would absolutely love it if we defeat them

Few thoughts -

Benni's best game for 2 seasons

Nelsen's best match this season

Warnock focussing on defending and not yomping down the wing every 2 minutes

Defenders actually covering each other instead of running away from the ball

A strike duo that seem to understand each other

Midfielders pressing across the park

If Sam can maintain Benni's motivation and effort at or near what what he achieved yesterday, and if Roberts could work out how to beat keepers 1 on 1, then sell Santa for £15m+. Should be enough for Sam to go and get a wide man, 4th striker, and a real defensive midfielder (this love affair that some fans seem to have with Vogel who is Ok at best is quite bizarre).

Only downer is that the 4th didn't go in - would have pocketed £200 instead of just £70 ... ;)

Everyone played well. Every single player.

We were organised for once, Nelsen managed to go a whole game without making any mistakes and I said about 2-3 minutes before it was announced it would be between him and Benni Mac for MOTM.

Make no mistake, we were lucky today. How many times will Roberts get a gift of a pass like that from an opposition player?

It's about time we had some luck.

Lucky? It could have been 6-0 with a bit of luck - that wasn't luck it was graft.

A win, I'd forgotten what feeling one of those was like.

Obviously there were good points to take from this game such as organisation, forwards operating as a pair and not two individuals etc. It was also good to see Rovers not passing for passing's sake in areas of the pitch that don't hurt the opposotion.

But lets not got too carried away just yet. Paul Robinson flapped at two high balls and against better oppostion would have conceded at least one from them. Jason Roberts is a good foyle for Benni but lets not forget he still can't trap a ball and is dreadful when one on one with the keeper. Stevie Warnock was again poor. I also thought that was also Andrews' worst game for Rovers but Mr. Hansen put me right on that.

Hopefully we can build on that against Sunderland and City.

Stoke sold 4,900 tickets meaning Rovers only had 18,000 fans

Agree with all that.

I'm delighted with this win. I'd forgotten what it felt like to win and it was the first time in months that I watched MOTD. I was delighted to see that we were the top game as well. We looked a lot better than have done for weeks, but we were still pretty fortunate to win by that margin, because Stoke had more than enough chances to score. We all know that we still have to improve a huge amount if we are still to avoid relegation, but this win will know doubt lift the confidence of the players and the feeling in the club. From the highlights, Roberts and McCarthy looked like a real partnership. Although I still worry about Roberts and his finishing ability. That is why I would prefer to keep Santa Cruz, because he is a real finisher. This is an early Christmas present and I'm looking forward to the next few games over the Christmas period, especially the Man City one.

Archived