BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Morten Gamst Pedersen

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Part of the reason that the reaction is so bad from many Rovers fans about Gamst's phantom assault is that he has been so mediocre for so long that fans are just plain fed up with him.

His desperate cheating just underlines how ineffective the guy has been - he can't even dive properly.

Franny Jeffers ears must be wiggling in shame.

As much as I am a Rovers fan, I would be disappointed if a blatant dive kept us up. Even if Danny Simpson dives to earn the winning penalty in the next world cup for England (it could happen) I could not celebrate. Diving is ruining the game. Ultimately, it's the game that I enjoy - over winning.

Didn't stop him appealing to the ref though. :P

EDIT: I think it's pretty easy to see what happened. He brushes past Sagna, realizes he probably won't get to the ball, has a quick look behind him and then tumbles over - hoping to win a pen. It probably didn't look as embarrassing in his head than how it turned out.

• Backroom
In terms of footballing morals Ped's dive was no worse than any dive you see every week in the league. I'm not sticking up for him for one minute as obviously it's a scourge on the game, but if Roque had clipped his heels together, made a convincing dive and won us a penalty and we got a point or three out of it, I guarantee the reactions would be completely different. Even though the basic principles of what he did would be exactly the same.

What does set MGP's dive apart is the sheer awfulness of it, but that doesn't make him any more abhorrent, it just makes him more of an idiot.

This needs quoting I feel, agree 100%, it was a dive BUT no worse than incidents that happen every single game on every pitch, what made it look worse was the weakness of the dive.

But a dive is a dive is a dive.

This needs quoting I feel, agree 100%, it was a dive BUT no worse than incidents that happen every single game on every pitch, what made it look worse was the weakness of the dive.

But a dive is a dive is a dive.

so its ok to dive?

• Backroom

Nope it's not OK to dive (there is one and only one situation when i believe its OK but thats another story) but the outcry for this incident shows there is a certain level of hypocricy towards diving etiquette.

• Backroom

Anybody who feels unhappy about Pedersen's dive has the right to say so, regardless of whether "everyone does it" or "it's seen all the time", that doesn't make it right. He shouldn't be villified for it, but he needs to have a hard look at himself and realise what an embarressment he is to the club when he does stupid things like that.

For what it's worth, if Ronaldo had made that dive, it'd be splashed all over the tabloids and the press would be having an utter field day. Pedersen is lucky he's at a club that rarely has much of a spotlight shone upon it.

ok all the people who are condoning a rover diving....did you all celebrate the penalty @ wembley for promotion.

SPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEDDDDDDDDDDDDDDIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIE

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Didn't McCarthy dive VS Newcastle to win us the Penalty, that led to us taking the lead?

I can put my house on it that if a dive kept us up in the league none of you would complain. I don't give a toot how we get a goal, if it's through diving, then so be it.

Funny how people aren't complaining about when Gamst scored his winner VS Newcastle a few seasons back with a handball. Is that acceptable now? Or is it because he was on form then and it didn't matter?

Total bollards!

That doesn't fool anyone, believe me.

Very embarrassing.

I disagree. I've seen it dozens of times now and I do think he was caught unintentionally by sagna, which in turn led to his own foot clipping his right leg and unbalancing him slightly. The contact was just one of those things and in no way a penalty. The fact that it hampered MGP was why he chose to go. He didn't need to and shouldn't have done. Split second stuff that has backfired on him.

so its ok to dive?

Not really. But once some gain from it then they all seek to do it. As I've already said it's up to the authorities to punish it after the event. Slo motion replays show that referees are frequently fooled by cheating and diving so the authorities MUST ensure that the offender and his team do not profit by it.

imo (and through by blue and white specs) BRFC under Hughes were about the most honest team in the Prem. We did not use histrionics, scream and play injured in order to get an opponent booked or sent off, we rarely dived or got involved in blatant time wasting. Our reward was to be bottom of the stupid Fair Play league year in year out so it's small wonder that there is a case for 'if you cannot beat em, join em'.

I don't know if it's been mentioned on here, so apologies if it has. Sam was arguing that if a player has been fouled, then he is right to go down. He argues that the people who don't go down, invariably don't get their rightful free kick or penalty. He reckons that stats would back that point up.

So, what's he saying? Sounds like he's basically advocating diving. He isn't saying players should go down without contact, but they should, or have the right to, go down whenever there has been contact.

IMO, he's wrong. The players should just go out and play the game without any pre-concieved ideas as to whether they should go to ground or not.

Anyone agree with Sam?

Archived