BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Morten Gamst Pedersen

I don't know if it's been mentioned on here, so apologies if it has. Sam was arguing that if a player has been fouled, then he is right to go down. He argues that the people who don't go down, invariably don't get their rightful free kick or penalty. He reckons that stats would back that point up.

So, what's he saying? Sounds like he's basically advocating diving. He isn't saying players should go down without contact, but they should, or have the right to, go down whenever there has been contact.

IMO, he's wrong. The players should just go out and play the game without any pre-concieved ideas as to whether they should go to ground or not.

Anyone agree with Sam?

Yes Den. Alan Shearer and Alan Hansen.......... virtually every week on MoTD.

How could you outlaw something like this, it's the shiznit:

You can't find Ted McDougalls a decade sooner can you? Not as important a goal but an even better diving header.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't know if it's been mentioned on here, so apologies if it has. Sam was arguing that if a player has been fouled, then he is right to go down. He argues that the people who don't go down, invariably don't get their rightful free kick or penalty. He reckons that stats would back that point up.

So, what's he saying? Sounds like he's basically advocating diving. He isn't saying players should go down without contact, but they should, or have the right to, go down whenever there has been contact.

IMO, he's wrong. The players should just go out and play the game without any pre-concieved ideas as to whether they should go to ground or not.

Anyone agree with Sam?

I agree, sometimes you have to make the ref's mind up for him.

i'm not saying go down, roll about a bit screaming bloody murder, but if you get clipped and it impeeds (sp?) you to any degree, then i think you have a right to go down.

Sam went on to say Kevin Davis is the most fouled player in the premiership (slight exaggeration) and he doesn't usually get the freekick because he stays on his feet. which again, i agree with.

I don't think it's encouraging diving; It's mearly "being a bit of a girl". diving in my eyes is where a player goes down without being touched

:tu:

I disagree with him. It would be good to see everyone stay on their feet for as long as possible and trust that the officials are good enough to spot any unlawful contact. Unfortunately players will never do that, but I don't think that means we should be accepting of our own players having a go. Pedersen was wrong to do what he did and I hope someone at the club tells him that. He doesn't deserve to be dropped for it, at least not until he has become a serial offender, but it would have been nice to have seen Allardyce speak out against diving.

I've seen it dozens of times now and I do think he was caught unintentionally by sagna, which in turn led to his own foot clipping his right leg and unbalancing him slightly.

Stop digging, Theo.

It's the most wonderfully, ludicrously s**t dive ever. It's still funny, two days later.

Stop digging, Theo.

It's the most wonderfully, ludicrously s**t dive ever. It's still funny, two days later.

Quote all of my post Sam and indeed any others and you will find that I am not defending him. All I was pointing out to Bryan is that there was contact ................. albeit about 20 seconds and 10 yards before he went down! :P

Quote all of my post Sam and indeed any others and you will find that I am not defending him. All I was pointing out to Bryan is that there was contact ................. albeit about 20 seconds and 10 yards before he went down! :P

Hooray, someone else saw what I saw. Not 20 seconds earlier but two paces.

He obviously had to think about it before going down, thus making himself look stupid.

To me, this indicates to me he had been instructed to go down if he felt the slightest contact.

Not good, I don't like to see that attitude.

Anyone agree with Sam?

It sounds a pretty fair summing up of the approach to fouls in many countries.

I remember when Hodgson was managing us and Zola got what seemed a very soft penalty at the time-Zola didn't need to go dowm but did and RH felt the penalty was deserved as the keeper had caught him.

I don't think players should dive, but I have more sympathy to their going down when they are fouled than I used to have.

I disagree with Allardyce too.

His "Help the Ref by Diving" stance simply reiterates to me that this guy has no football ideals, aside from winning.

You should NOT THINK about going down. It should happen. As soon as you are making a choice of falling or not, you are simulating and therefore cheating.

But Allardyce would say that football is a multi-million game which has the livelihoods and the happiness of millions at stake. I say, if football has got to the stage where fairness, as well as skill and entertainment, is submerged in the relentless infatuation with scraping points - I don't want to be involved. I won't follow such a sport. And it's getting close.

Okay, a question for some of the naysayers:

Rovers need 3pts on the last day of the season, or they're relegated. We're 0-0 with WBA in the last few seconds when Pedersen brushes past the last defender with minimal contact. If he goes down, he will win a pen and provide a chance of salvation. If he sticks to his principles, the ball will dribble out for a goal kick and effectively kill the game, and our PL status.

Would you still disagree with Sam's decree then?

There's a big difference in my book betwen making the most of slight contact when a foul has technically been committed, and blatantly cheating by diving when there has been NO contact at all.

I haven't seen the MGP incident in full, but judging by pictures in the newspaper, it looks as though he was guilty of the latter and that shouldn't be encouraged or tolerated at all.

Edit: Just seen it at the start of the thread - speechless. Refs should be encouraged to hand out red cards for diving - that would soon stem the tide.

Okay, a question for some of the naysayers:

Rovers need 3pts on the last day of the season, or they're relegated. We're 0-0 with WBA in the last few seconds when Pedersen brushes past the last defender with minimal contact. If he goes down, he will win a pen and provide a chance of salvation. If he sticks to his principles, the ball will dribble out for a goal kick and effectively kill the game, and our PL status.

Would you still disagree with Sam's decree then?

Yes. You are either for something or against something. You can't pick and choose when it is right.

There's a big difference in my book betwen making the most of slight contact when a foul has technically been committed, and blatantly cheating by diving when there has been NO contact at all.

Agreed. It also makes you wonder whether his penalty appeal at Old Trafford was somewhat tainted.

Pedersen has come out and said he didnt dive, he just lost his balance and clipped his own feet. He said he wasnt appealing for a penalty and he spoke to the ref about it, who saw that pedersen wasnt appealing.

So why did he immediately turn around with his arms raised, wearing a dumbstruck expression?

pedersen might of dived on saturday, but sadly thats in the game at the moment. When Ronaldo dives nearly every game, i don't see the press on his case, like what they are doing to Morten at the moment. Just because we are small Blackburn and not Glory Man Utd, the press are trying to make a big story out of it.

• Backroom

Yes, because MGP was really going to admit he made one of the most embarressing dives in recent memory :D take off the blue and white tinted specs, it was a dive and as previously mentioned if he clipped his own feet and fell WHY IS HE APPEALING FOR A PENALTY? If anything, his dive has just made it even more difficult to secure a penalty in the future for a legitimate infringement. Also, even IF the penalty had been given, video evidence would have shown he'd dived and the uproar would be worse than it is now.

Ref should have booked him, and I don't want to see MGP doing that again. Pretty much the last thing I have to say on the subject.

Pedersen has come out and said he didnt dive, he just lost his balance and clipped his own feet. He said he wasnt appealing for a penalty and he spoke to the ref about it, who saw that pedersen wasnt appealing.

if you believe that, you really will believe anything.

Archived