BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Stoke City Preview 18th April

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

His value would most definately have gone down drastically. Unless City are desperate enough to still pay 15mill + for him, then good on them

On to Stoke, vital game this and i believe if we win this one then we all but safe. No guarantees of course, but we will feel more confident.

Right, imporant question where can we drink before the match? Any good pubs for away fans. This won't be a good match sober.

If your one the coaches FORGET it, likewise if you are wearing any Blue and White you wont get in any central pubs, or if you do you wont come out walking !

Best place for drinking is away from Stoke centre itself.

For me, its the first 20 minutes and the last 5 minutes that matter. IF Rovers can keep Stoke at bay for the first 20 then they could take the game comforatably, if they concede within 20 minutes then we are chasing and wide open.

4-4-2 formation shoudl be the way ahead or at least 4-4-1-1. Diouf could be the key man with McCarthy up front. Got to hope MGP makes it to cause some trouble with his throws.

In the midfield we must provide protection for the back 4 as well as support for the front men.

Rovers to avenge the 2-1 defeat when we were on that magnificent 23 unbeaten match run at the old stoke ground with a 1-0 win.

Cant wait for it.

Roque Sutton Cruz?

Apparently, RSC had surgery on the knee to remove a floating fragment. So, I guess he has been hurt despite everyone feeling he was somehow faking. It was arthroscopic surgery so maybe it will not mean a long rehab process. We definitely need him down the stretch.

Apparently, RSC had surgery on the knee to remove a floating fragment. So, I guess he has been hurt despite everyone feeling he was somehow faking. It was arthroscopic surgery so maybe it will not mean a long rehab process. We definitely need him down the stretch.

Confirmed on Official Website

Anyone know how long it will be before he plays?

It's a clean-up operation and could be the solution to the problem...but I would think that it could still be a month before he plays.

Bad timing to say the least.

Bad timing for what? The injury itself or the surgery?

That's him out for the season me thinks. If he does make it back his fitness won't be up to scratch. Annoying!

Bad timing for what? The injury itself or the surgery?

That's him out for the season me thinks. If he does make it back his fitness won't be up to scratch. Annoying!

Bad timing to lose your bestchance of a goal when you need a win.

Badly.

It's a clean-up operation and could be the solution to the problem...but I would think that it could still be a month before he plays.

Bad timing to say the least.

I would be very surprised if it was that long - I had a simular op a few years ago - RSQ is younger and fitter than I was and has better care that I had and therefore it could be as early as 2 weeks. He will have a badage for a few days, but no plaster. These days with keyhole surgery !!!!!!!!!!!! Ironically the calf injury may be the worse one of the two.

Not sure about Dunn starting matches for us at the moment, particularly away from home. He looks well off the pace (as carrying an injury).

I would probably go for Andrews instead as offers more running/energy.

----------Robinson

Oojier Nelsen Samba Givet

-------Warnock Grella

Diouf -----Carlos----- Gamst

------------Benni

I'm not the biggest fan of Villanueva, but atleast he's fit and can score goals. Dunn could also play that position. If that dosen't worke, we can allways put Samba upfront again.

------------Robbo------------

Ooijer Samba Nelsen Givet

-------Grella--Warnock------

Diouf---Villanueva---Pedersen

-----------McCarthy-----------

This will NOT happen, but I think it's our best shot to be honest (4-2-3-1). But rather than play long ball (against a stoke side whose tactic that is) we should keep the ball on the ground!! Look at the passing quality in that squad (bar grella obviously)!

Stoke will take to the air, which Samba will be able to deal with, so we must combat that and PLAY FOOTBALL.

If pedersen is still injured, then i would move wee carlos over and play andrews or dunn in the hole.

If Roberts (or Croque?) is available, then i would play 4-1-3-2 and take Grella out of the 11. The only way to win this is to return to the old rovers imo.

Glad we are turning out in force, but lets make sure that translates into noise!! I'm deaf, but I want to be able to hear us!! Come ON!!!

This will NOT happen, but I think it's our best shot to be honest (4-2-3-1). But rather than play long ball (against a stoke side whose tactic that is) we should keep the ball on the ground!! Look at the passing quality in that squad (bar grella obviously)!

Stoke will take to the air, which Samba will be able to deal with, so we must combat that and PLAY FOOTBALL.

If pedersen is still injured, then i would move wee carlos over and play andrews or dunn in the hole.

Tend to agree with this , possibly Dunn for Carlos/Pedersen - Tugay for Grella injuries pending - however would still prefer the 442 option which I think will win us the game.

Been a big critique of SAM on his line ups and his reliance on pro zone and the percentage game (still am) in respect that I think he is playing a dangerous game and relying on the fact that we win the home games (what happens if we don't) as there doesn't appear to be a plan b - however I work on a philosphy that you always have at least one decent home win and one decent away win a season - and I think this could be ours if we actually go out to win the game (2or 3 nil) rather than hold out trying to snatch it.

Seeing the Stoke v Newcastle game there was nothing to fear from the Stokies and put under pressure there defence is as haphazard as ours has proven to be.

rog of the rover...

Carlos' far too small for this one.

Not according to BFS - seems to think that he is part of our adequate fire power even though he has not been considered good enough since he has been here - bizarre!!

I've seen Carlos slip between two big defenders who are trying to block him. He might be just the man!

Totally agree, ma!

And who knows? We may get a free kick or 5 out of stoke's hard-hitting defence! He really COULD be the wee man to save us....surely then he'd deserve a bid of 3/4 mil to buy? I think he could replace pedersen on the left wing. We could end up using dioufy in attack rather than on the wing (i think doran or judge will come good next year and warrant more regular places in the right mid/wing role.)

mellison hit the nail on the head. I don't want to see another game where we try to hoof it for 90mins to no avail. Look what happened against Spurs when we actually got Dunn, Tugay, and Diouf on the ball - things happened. Stoke are better equipped to deal with the direct approach. They know what it's all about. That's why we should look to mix things up and play it on the deck.

And again I ask: WHY EMPHASIZE SET-PIECE RATIOS AND LEAVE OUT YOUR BEST SET-PIECE TAKER?

The injury situation isn't exactly any better than for the Liverpool game.

I expect a selection which will bring a resounding groan when it is announced.

Theres no evidence whatsoever with the players available that they are capable of getting a draw never mind a victory ...very worrying !

If Roberts (or Croque?) is available, then i would play 4-1-3-2 and take Grella out of the 11. The only way to win this is to return to the old rovers imo.

Glad we are turning out in force, but lets make sure that translates into noise!! I'm deaf, but I want to be able to hear us!! Come ON!!!

I like the team, but I just Don't think Benni can play up front on his own that well. I think we will see Samba play again upfront, for better or for worse.

Archived