BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Stoke City Preview 18th April

Just read on the BBC that the last time Rovers lost at stoke was in 1965, hope we can keep up that on saturday!

I remember being at Stoke and losing a few times in the 80's.

Stoke have not met nor beaten Blackburn in a home game in the top-flight for 44 years since prevailing 3-2 at the Victoria Ground on 8 September 1965 :rolleyes:

Doran is in the squad, along with returns to the squad for Pedersen & Diouf.

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Stoke have not met nor beaten Blackburn in a home game in the top-flight for 44 years since prevailing 3-2 at the Victoria Ground on 8 September 1965 :rolleyes:

So that might have something to do with this being the first season that both clubs are in the top flight since '65-'66?

As you say Hughesy: :rolleyes:

Treacy god please no, Pedersen must play.

I'd start 433 try and get some early pressure and perhaps nick one, we can easilt switch to 451. We must not however just hit it forward I can see stoke soaking it up. We have to expose their full backs so stick Diouf and Pedersen on them they can then (hopefully) support Benni (who must play) dependent on which wing the ball is.

-------------Robbo-------------

Ooijer--Samba--Nelsen--Givet

-------------Grella-------------

--------Dunn------Villa---------

Diouf--------Benni------Gamst

Yes its attacking, but provided they can show some discipline without the ball it could work. We also get most of our players who can play on the pitch, Benni will not thrive if we just hoof it up field.

The back five can just stay there we can't concede more than one, Stoke are very hard to break down its gonna take something special to the three points. With 4 center backs hopefully we can soak up there play.

You would drop Warnock? I like it though. It would mean there would be a lot of pressure on Grella to have a good game.

Just read on the BBC that the last time Rovers lost at stoke was in 1965, hope we can keep up that on saturday!

Lawro has predicted 2-0 to stoke.

Sorry guys it does say top flight, I think I was wearing my Magners glasses when I read it.

An interesting view on ourselves and Stoke from across the water.

Spot-on. Chris Price scored in a 2-1 defeat, May 1988.

Remember that game well. Ended our good run and it was a horrible day. We should've had at least 2 pens and remember being crushed in the away end. Far too many fans in the enclosure!

As for Treacy, he's garbage and doesn't appear to have anything to his game. Bad control, absolutely no pace whatsoever, looks overweight, unfit and must be one of the worst players I've seen in a Rovers shirt.

Harsh but true.

Lawro has predicted 2-0 to stoke.

lawros a tool, sams record against the little teams is great, quite confident we won't have the early game shakes that have caused us to concede early against the bigger teams......if pedersen and diouf play i'd say we certainly won't lose and optimisticall think 2-1 may be a good bet

I fear that Sam views every game that way. Still 6 draws from 6 ought to see us safe :wacko:

Hopefully he doesn't see every game like this, but he says such things to take the pressure off. I agree with him on this one though. If we draw then it is ok in my eyes. A draw against Stoke with a couple of home wins would do me!

Hopefully he doesn't see every game like this, but he says such things to take the pressure off. I agree with him on this one though. If we draw then it is ok in my eyes. A draw against Stoke with a couple of home wins would do me!

But that's the problem he does - and his starting line ups reflect it.

We have to go out to try and win any game and not the attitude we must not lose.

A couple of home wins is not guaranteed (yet many including Sam seem to think its a forgone conclusion) - and given our home form this season is more against than for.

Go out to win and we will win - mess about trying to snatch chances and Stoke will take the prize.

My team (unless injuries get in the way):

Robinson

Andre/Nelsen/Samba/Givet

Diouf/Grella/Warnock/Pedersen

Carlos

Benni

Or perhaps this:

Andre/Zurab/Nelsen/Givet

Grella/Warnock/Andrews

Diouf/Samba/Benni

Either way, the game will not be pretty, and we must not lose. I predict a draw.

We have to go out to try and win any game and not the attitude we must not lose.

A couple of home wins is not guaranteed (yet many including Sam seem to think its a forgone conclusion) - and given our home form this season is more against than for.

Go out to win and we will win - mess about trying to snatch chances and Stoke will take the prize.

I'm totally with you on that Captain. Sam's done a great job but I'm yet to warm to his methodolical approach to games. Hopefully the fans will inspire the team to go for the win as they did so well at Fulham.

I hope people don't think home wins are guaranteed (a couple of home wins would make me very happy, but who knows) if they do, especially if Sam and the players do, then we really are in trouble. I think the fact that the club is selling £20 tickets for the last three games, shows that they know how important and how difficult it will be. I agree we must try and win every game, but saying a game is a must win game piles the pressure on even more. Who knows what will happen, the way we played against West Ham and Tottenham and how the results felt like they were the wrong way round, sums up the unpredictable nature of football.

Sam has said that we need to turn draws in to wins, and I hope he really believes that. I think you are right with some of his line ups but not all, for example playing Samba up front on his own against Liverpool, compared to when we start with Benni and Roberts up front, or the way we attacked West Ham. I think Sam is picking and choosing his battles. Is he right to do it? Well that is a debate that was done in the Liverpool thread.

I think we should play a 4-4-2 against Stoke, with Samba back in defence, and we should take the game to them and try and win. Three points here really would take the pressure off, but if we get a draw then I won't be shouting that we are doomed and it'd be ok. I don't know how fit or should that be unfit, Dunn is but i'd consider either Diouf or Carlos up front with Benni.

You would drop Warnock? I like it though. It would mean there would be a lot of pressure on Grella to have a good game.

Ye your right, Warnock in for Dunn then. I just wanted square pegs in square holes for a change.

However we can't go there with a can't lose attitude, we have to go for their throats from the whistle. However I have a feeling we'll sit back, I'm just not convinced its the right approach. We need to drag stoke around and frustrate them, so we have to keep the ball as such we need players who can play.

Grella did well in the reserves according to those on here, give him two targets in front who can pass and create something for Benni to finish. But Warnock will add a bit more industry than Dunn would. Carlos must start though, Dunn's not properly fit and we cn't have him breaking down again, so yes Warnock for Dunn then.

I really think the key is stokes full backs we have to try and create space behind them and look to work the openings from there, I can't cope with another hit and hope session this weekend.

Sam says this game is a ‘must not lose’, rather than a ‘must win’ fixture although he would prefer 3 points.

Stoke maybe think the same. However a win for either side and no win for Boro or Newcastle will see the victors all but safe.

Maybe Sam and Tony Pulis should have there post match drink together before the game.

A draw might suit us both if you know what I mean. ;)

but saying a game is a must win game piles the pressure on even more. Who knows what will happen, the way we played against West Ham and Tottenham and how the results felt like they were the wrong way round, sums up the unpredictable nature of football.

I think we should play a 4-4-2 against Stoke, with Samba back in defence, and we should take the game to them and try and win. Three points here really would take the pressure off, but if we get a draw then I won't be shouting that we are doomed and it'd be ok. I don't know how fit or should that be unfit, Dunn is but i'd consider either Diouf or Carlos up front with Benni.

not saying is a must win as it isn't - but its one we should be one that we are confident that we can - by all accounts we have a stronger lineup than we have had for a while - lets use it and make it more comfortable than the nervy ending that it could end up where knee jerk decisions end up getting made and allowing as you say for the unpredictability.

Totally agree on the 442 which I have mentioned - a draw is acceptable however I just feel that we can win and will win if they adopt the right approach of going out and taking the game to them.

I stand by my philosophy - you normally have at least x1 decent home and away win a season - this I believe can be our away one.

3 v 1 Rovers

OK it's friday and I'm at the right end of several pints of truth-serum so here goes. I'm probably in a minority of one but ...

[standing up] ... "My name is TimmyJimmy and I'm a Grella fan". "Hi TimmyJimmy".

I think if he's fit then this is a must play game for Gella, it's made for him. He's a tough aggressive tackler who has top class vision for the pass. No ones going to intimidate him and he's creative. Against Stoke he would be a game winner.

I can hear the derision already, but hey that's my view. If he plays then we win!

Back to the bar.

OK it's friday and I'm at the right end of several pints of truth-serum so here goes. I'm probably in a minority of one but ...

[standing up] ... "My name is TimmyJimmy and I'm a Grella fan". "Hi TimmyJimmy".

I think if he's fit then this is a must play game for Gella, it's made for him. He's a tough aggressive tackler who has top class vision for the pass. No ones going to intimidate him and he's creative. Against Stoke he would be a game winner.

I can hear the derision already, but hey that's my view. If he plays then we win!

Back to the bar.

I agree with you, he hasn't yet had enough games to fully get up to Premier League speed. Next season...

Sam says this game is a ‘must not lose’, rather than a ‘must win’ fixture although he would prefer 3 points.

Oh dear.

Like the good Capt. I am unnerved by Sam's apparent confidence that it is a foregone conclusion we'll get the points we need from the home matches after this. I just can't see it.

There's only one way to approach tomorrow's game - give it everything trying to get the three points and if we only end up with a point after all that - so be it.

Going with the view from the start a point is a good result is very dangerous. If we go in with the slightest hint of last week's attitude, Stoke will steamroller us.

• Backroom

I agree with the big man, this is must not lose but not particulary must win, I think stoke will score it's just a case if we can respond.

1-0 or 1-1 methinks

I'd do anything to be there gutted that tickets sold out, if anyone backs out at the last minute give me a shout ha

Put Blackman on the bench andd let him have a run out if we are still short on attacking options.

Samba is key for us both defending and attacking set pieces how he performs may well decide the outcome.

Back to the bar.

i would'nt want grella to get a game, he stinks, he really stinks.....absolute dead weight. Fairly certain sam don't rate him as well....an absolute DUD of a signing, criminally bad to sign someone who is so slow and unimposing in this league, nothing in his game that andrews ain't got and andrews at the very least has a decent engine on him.

i don't particulerlly want moko to play tomorrow but people are deluding themselves if they expect sam to pick grella ahead of moko.

i honestly don't think there is a club around that would want grellas wages on their books even if he was free, and considering far,far better players than him will be signed for sure in the summer.........he is basically going to be in our reserves for 2 years which is really depressing.

Archived