BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Stoke City Preview 18th April

A draw would be a decent result but only as long as Newcastle or Boro don't win. I don't think we can rely on that so need to try and win the game at least. I really hope Pedersen doesn't play so my team would be:-

Robinson, Oojer, Samba, Nelsen, Givet, Diouf, Grella, Tugay, Warnock, Dunn & Benni with Dunn and Diouf pushing right forward and not playing as a 5 in midfield.

I don't see too many options other than this as can't see how Mokeona, Treacy or Carlos contribute anything at all in this league. Maybe Carlos could come on and do something if needed but from the start he just gets lost.

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has anyone warned air traffic control to keep clear of Stoke tomorrow :rolleyes: !! Looking forward to watching live here tomorrow morning but not expecting to be entertained. Just hoping the rovers can pull a victory out of the bag. Bet you Beattie bloody notches as well

Nice preview, Colin. I, too, was there at Stoke which, I think, was a must-win game when David Mail spent ages pulling mud from between his studs before scoring the penalty that gave us a 1-0 win. I think we had failed to score the previous 10(?) penalties.

Samba must play at the back. Any formation out of those previously mentioned will do, BUT WE MUST PLAY THE FOOTBALL ON THE GROUND. Let Stoke do the long high ball stuff. Let's PLAY them off their own park.

We have to approach the game to go all out for a win. I think we can win. It all depends on BFS and the players' attitudes.

i would'nt want grella to get a game, he stinks, he really stinks.....absolute dead weight. Fairly certain sam don't rate him as well....an absolute DUD of a signing, criminally bad to sign someone who is so slow and unimposing in this league, nothing in his game that andrews ain't got and andrews at the very least has a decent engine on him.

i don't particulerlly want moko to play tomorrow but people are deluding themselves if they expect sam to pick grella ahead of moko.

i honestly don't think there is a club around that would want grellas wages on their books even if he was free, and considering far,far better players than him will be signed for sure in the summer.........he is basically going to be in our reserves for 2 years which is really depressing.

Grella isn't that bad (when fit!!). He can tackle and he can pass. Good "spoiler" but I agree about him being sloooooooooow. How we parted with 4M quid for him is another story.

Robbo

Andrews, Ooijer, Nelsen, Givet

Diouf, Grella/Moko, Warnock, MGP

Samba, Benni

I don't think Benni will be used as a lone striker. By playing Samba up front, it gives him the option to drop him back as soon as we score. He could just as easily move Samba back for Ooijer and bring in Dunn/Villa, that would give us a better midfield but imo a far less superior ability to hold the ball up via the top men.

In any case imo Nick Blackman should be on the bench, it is not acceptable to go into this game with no strikers on the bench in case of an injury to benni. And Villa doesn't count as a striker.

See you guys in Stoke at half 1.

It's going to take balls to go to Stoke and win!

We need to be organised and have a plan A and maybe a plan B.

Delap and his throw ins are going to be our biggest problem, Robbo and the defence need to command or we are doomed.

Really looking forward to this, it won't be pretty and probably will be very scrappy but it's all about the points.

I think we will score first and go on to win 2-0. Pedersen set piece goal to send the 12th man wild!

I agree with the big man, this is must not lose but not particulary must win,

I'm a bit baffled as to what actually comes into the category of "must win" then!

I'd say ALL our games come into that category until we are mathematically safe!

Just out of curiosity then, would everyone be happy if we only drew the next 4 games and lost against Chelsea leaving us on 38 points and possibly needing a point or three on the last day against West Brom?

Because I wouldn't be happy with that scenario.

Looking at Stoke's home form and the sort of form we are taking down there I can't see us getting much from the game. You need fighters to get the better of Stoke and we haven't got enough of them , but let's hope they prove me wrong. Beattie may not play and that would be a big plus for us, he's become their talisman and they have no direct replacement. Knowing what I know now he would have been a great signing for us in the window, I'm sure we would have been higher up the table by now.

Stoke 1- Rovers 0 I'm afraid.

Ok, the weather is nice and I'm feeling good. Hope all you guys and gals going have a great day and sing as loud as possible to show the lads what fighting spirit really is.

Come on Rovers!

i honestly don't think there is a club around that would want grellas wages on their books even if he was free, and considering far,far better players than him will be signed for sure in the summer...

Heh!

You are assuming that the board has some money to throw at Sam for this imaginary Summer spending spree!

Anyways, going for a draw myself, be nice to get a last minute win but can't see where it would come from...

Archived