BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Pre-season

Pre-season is really not that important, although the lack of creativity during it is alarming and I hope Sam sees the need for a playmaker.

Amen to that. I fear the alternative would be abandoning the 4-4-2 and playing hoofball. If we don't strengthen the centre of midfield then we will bypass it...Sam is utilitarian.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Who's gonna play in central defense vs City if both Samba and the captain are knackered? Zurab and Givet? vs Robinhio, Tevez, Adabayor, Bellamy, Santa Cruz............

If City start with five strikers we'll batter them, don't worry.

Pre-season games... and our players get injured all the time.

I don't think I've seen any players from the big four get injured before the new season.

Oh so Vidic and Van Der Sar will be playing next Saturday will they?

and Toure has limped off for City

Pre-season games... and our players get injured all the time.

I don't think I've seen any players from the big four get injured before the new season.

Man Utd have lost Van der Sar and Vidic.

While results don't matter, as in count for anything, fitness and form surely do, and we don't seem to be doing great on either. Half the first team won't be fit for the kick off and we seemingly are completely unable to score goals against weaker opposition than we will face all season. Does anyone know who the best pairing is up front, for example?

I'm beginning to wonder whay we have all these trips abroad for pre-season when we would do just as well running laps round Witton track.

Arsenal have lost Rosicky (again) and Nasri (broken leg)

Man Utd as listed all above.

Chelsea had lost Ballack (fractured toe)

Liverpool have lost Skrtel, Riera and El Zhar this pre season!

Injuries are part and parcel of pre-season, they happen to all clubs.

Bolton have just drawn 0-0 v Hibs as well actually never mind it was a testimonial for Jussi Jaaskelainen not a proper game

This was our team after 35 minutes....hardly suprising we struggled.

ROVERS: Paul Robinson, Phil Jones, Martin Olsson, David Hoilett, Zurab Khizanishvili 17, Stephen Warnock , Elrio Van Heerden, Aaron Doran 17, Franco Di Santo, El-Hadji Diouf, Benni McCarthy,

We gave them a penalty, Zurab scored 1 for them and helped them for the other. My only worry is the injuries and the lack of clear chances.

This was our team after 35 minutes....hardly suprising we struggled.

ROVERS: Paul Robinson, Phil Jones, Martin Olsson, David Hoilett, Zurab Khizanishvili 17, Stephen Warnock , Elrio Van Heerden, Aaron Doran 17, Franco Di Santo, El-Hadji Diouf, Benni McCarthy,

We gave them a penalty, Zurab scored 1 for them and helped them for the other. My only worry is the injuries and the lack of clear chances.

The likes of Warnock, Van Heerden, Di Santo, Diouf and McCarthy should be able to create one or two between them.

IMO we have to bring in a ball playing midfielder this week.

I bet Kalinic is licking his lips at the prospect of the amount of chances that we'll create for him :rolleyes:

In the Hibs game we actually had a few good chances which should have been converted. Sadly Roberts missed them.

I must say that I have returned from Dundee slightly concerned about our squad. Whilst I still firmly believe that we have a squad good enough to finish between 15th and 12th, we are looking thin on the ground in certain areas. I felt Olsson was a plus today and young Phil Jones did very well until he tired towards the end of the game. Although Zurab dropped a clanger for their opening goal, he was actually quite sound for the remainder of the game. I certainly wouldn't have any worries about him being in against City. Indeed, with Nelsen, Samba and Givet all injuried it may well be a case of struggling to find someone to play alongside him.

Like last week, Warnock looks strangely out of sorts but, then again, he started in the centre of midfield and ended up in the centre of defence. Doran and van Heerden were disappointing today. I have been impressed with van Heerden up to now but today both he and Doran struggled against defenders who physically stronger and quicker. Diouf worked hard but really lacked support. It was a pity that Gally got injured because he had played one or two nice passes from midfield.

Once again Di Santo looked promising but he's still young and obviously has much to learn. However, he put himself about and caused United problems. Benni was simply Benni. Once or twice he linked up well with Di Santo but rarely threatened the goal.

Obviously at the end, we had a very young team out and, in all fairness, the likes of Blackman, Flynn, Jones and Lowe are unlikely to play much first team football this season. Hopefully we won't get into a position where we need to call upon them. However, if Nelsen, Samba and Givet were all missing on Saturday then we would have a major problem. With our midfield already in crisis, injuries to the centre-backs are the last thing we need. With so many players away on international duty it is hardly the best preparation for the City game.

Bolton have just drawn 0-0 v Hibs as well actually never mind it was a testimonial for Jussi Jaaskelainen not a proper game

Hibs fans caused lots of trouble around the ground, charged into the Notlob fans after the game as well.

Archived