BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Pre-season

It the aim of pre-season was to get the players fit then it has been a failure. Most looked nothing short of lethargic yesterday - only one team looked like they wanted to win that game. And I don't know how many people are familiar with the SPL, but to be dominated in that fashion by Dundee Utd is cause for concern.

As for not experimenting with tactics in games - that is ludicrous if true. What's the point in lining up games against teams all over the world if your primary goal is just to have the players run around? Any game of football involves tactics, and the season is 7 days away.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with the posters above. There is no point being in a competition unless you are in it to win it.

OK we may well fall short and only finish 3rd or 4th but as long as we are really going for it and busting a gut to top the league then that would be good enough IMHO.

Some people here are just to negative in accepting failure......................

I think some people are setting unrealistic targets for the club. In the present financial climate, staying in the Premier League is success for the Rovers. Last season Fulham achieved European football and spent around £20 million pounds. If we had the same amount of money to spend then I might expect the Rovers to be challenging for Europe. However, we have had significantly less to spend. I personally don't believe it's negative to express the belief that Premier League survival is the most important target next season. Premier League survival is not failure. Failure is being relegated. It's the same target that the majority of clubs in this League will set. Get to 40 points as soon as possible and then see what can be achieved after that. However, the main aim must be to get those 40 points!

I think some people are setting unrealistic targets for the club. In the present financial climate, staying in the Premier League is success for the Rovers. Last season Fulham achieved European football and spent around £20 million pounds. If we had the same amount of money to spend then I might expect the Rovers to be challenging for Europe. However, we have had significantly less to spend. I personally don't believe it's negative to express the belief that Premier League survival is the most important target next season. Premier League survival is not failure. Failure is being relegated. It's the same target that the majority of clubs in this League will set. Get to 40 points as soon as possible and then see what can be achieved after that. However, the main aim must be to get those 40 points!

Sorry PB but that's exactly what Souness's downfall was, he talked up this philosophy until it became ingrained in us all and we almost expected to struggle season on season. It was only when Hughes came in and said we should aspire for better and the mentality within all aspects of the club changed that we achieved the success that we did during his tenure. I agree that money is a big factor, probably more so now, but we were never the biggest spenders when we won UEFA cup qualification or contested FA Cup Semi Finals.

Norwich had an unbeaten pre-season, including beating Wigan 3-2 last week.,............................

And for all their Galactico spending, Man.City also dropped against lesser-teams.

Pre-season is largely irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. People are panicking unduly.

Sorry PB but that's exactly what Souness's downfall was, he talked up this philosophy until it became ingrained in us all and we almost expected to struggle season on season. It was only when Hughes came in and said we should aspire for better and the mentality within all aspects of the club changed that we achieved the success that we did during his tenure. I agree that money is a big factor, probably more so now, but we were never the biggest spenders when we won UEFA cup qualification or contested FA Cup Semi Finals.

Can you post links to quotes from anyone at the club saying the sum total of our ambition is PL survival?

I really believe that the game has moved on in just the past couple of years. New investment at Aston Villa, Manchester City and now Sunderland has altered things. Hughes got out because he knew that he couldn't maintain the success he had achieved on a diminishing budget. He spelt it out quite clearly during his last twelve months at the club.

However, I don't see the ambition of retaining Premier League status as a negative. Until new investment arrives at the club - and I suspect that that little dream will be some way off - I am quite happy to be a mid-table team in one of the World's top Leagues. Of course we can target the cup competitions but I honestly believe that to aspire to a top six place is just unrealistic.

I believe the aim should be to get to 40 points as quickly as possible and then try to progess from that point. I am sure that Sam's aim is to finish as high as possible. However, from the tone of certain posters - and I don't include yourself in this - they seem to regard anything less than a top six finish as failure.

While the pre-season has not been great, in terms of results, I really don't believe that we are relegation material.

I really believe that the game has moved on in just the past couple of years. New investment at Aston Villa, Manchester City and now Sunderland has altered things. Hughes got out because he knew that he couldn't maintain the success he had achieved on a diminishing budget. He spelt it out quite clearly during his last twelve months at the club.

However, I don't see the ambition of retaining Premier League status as a negative. Until new investment arrives at the club - and I suspect that that little dream will be some way off - I am quite happy to be a mid-table team in one of the World's top Leagues. Of course we can target the cup competitions but I honestly believe that to aspire to a top six place is just unrealistic.

I believe the aim should be to get to 40 points as quickly as possible and then try to progess from that point. I am sure that Sam's aim is to finish as high as possible. However, from the tone of certain posters - and I don't include yourself in this - they seem to regard anything less than a top six finish as failure.

While the pre-season has not been great, in terms of results, I really don't believe that we are relegation material.

Weve probably got the worst set of central midfileders not only in the premiership but also covering the vast majority of championship clubs none of these guys breed confidence in Rovers chances.

How will the bill for the building work of nearly £3m be viewed by the fans ?

The main thing that worries me at the moment is that there is absolutely no sign of a settled sign. The only player it is possible to confiently predict will be on the pitch next saturday is Robinson. Everyone else is totally up in the air - including Samba and Nelsen due to injuries. This is not good to my mind at all.

I really don'tknow what to make of it. It suddenly appears that we are in dire straights, when we were all optimistic only on Tuesday. My God footy is a strange game. I cans see it now: Rovers reserves topple city's multi-million squad with a 90th minute 30yard screamer from Keith Andrews!!

Can't do anything about it but international week is coming at the worst time. Considering the players we have missing at the back, could have done with the players being together this week. If Nelsen, Samba and Givet are all out, not sure what we will do.

Here's hoping to some positive news tomorrow on the injuries.

I really don'tknow what to make of it. It suddenly appears that we are in dire straights, when we were all optimistic only on Tuesday. My God footy is a strange game. I cans see it now: Rovers reserves topple city's multi-million squad with a 90th minute 30yard screamer from Keith Andrews!!

We can but dream, if this unlikely event was to happen it would still mask the problems Rovers face a bit like that Everton away win did on the first game last season.

Can you post links to quotes from anyone at the club saying the sum total of our ambition is PL survival?

I didn't intimate there were any quotes from the current regime suggesting that, I was only taking issue with Parsonblue's stance and likening it to that of Souness beforehand.

Wait so it is looking like a distinct possibility that we might line-up on Saturday without any of Samba, Nelsen, Dunn, Grella, Reid or Emerton?

I know that injuries can't be helped, but some of these are long-term and should have been addressed sooner.

Looks like the start of the season will be about damage control.

We know who replaced Cruz and Debyshire, but who replaced Tugay and Ooijer.

We already had Givet last season despite only being on loan, so, who are the quality players that have replaced Tugay and Ooijer?

Is it Jacobsen and Nzonzi, if so thats sad.

Is it Jacobsen and Nzonzi, if so thats sad.

Ooijer was always going to be replaced with a freebie, it's Hughes' fault for spending money on someone as old as Ooijer - although it was a rare mistake, I must admit. Thankfully Sam has spent our money on young players this summer, otherwise we could have been looking at a similar scenario in a key position.

I think Jacobsen will turn out to be a shrewd bit of business though.

Ooijer was a reserve defender (if all back 4 fit) - we replaced him with Jacobsen.

Tugay hasnt been replaced yet.

Ooijer was probably our best defender in terms of reading the game and actually defending. I suspect we will miss him more than we realise.

Ooijer was always going to be replaced with a freebie, it's Hughes' fault for spending money on someone as old as Ooijer - although it was a rare mistake, I must admit. Thankfully Sam has spent our money on young players this summer, otherwise we could have been looking at a similar scenario in a key position.

I think Jacobsen will turn out to be a shrewd bit of business though.

I wouldnt say its Hughes fault for bringing in a International quality player that still had plenty in the tank for a couple of seasons at Ewood Park, far from it. You sound like your taking the boards party line when it is they, who should have been doing the forward planning and putting sufficient funds in the place for Ooijer eventual replacement.

Having seen Jacobsen early indidcations are if he was that good why would Everton let him go, he didnt look that good against Hibs though alot better than Homer Simpsons lad from Manchester.

I wouldnt say its Hughes fault for bringing in a International quality player that still had plenty in the tank for a couple of seasons at Ewood Park, far from it. You sound like your taking the boards party line when it is they, who should have been doing the forward planning and putting sufficient funds in the place for Ooijer eventual replacement.

What funds? Any manager we have knows the score, that's why signing someone like Ooijer is a mistake.

Whether the board should be putting in more money or not is a different discussion altogether - like I said, Hughes knew the board wouldn't stump up funds so it was a very short sighted approach to pay millions on a 32 year old.

Archived