BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Derbyshire Leaves Rovers

Matt wants first team football, we as a club want better first team players than him. Good solution for everyone this.

He's a good finisher, but his problem is that that's pretty much his only skill. He doesn't have the ability to create chances for himself, or for others, and so while he does well when he gets a chance, he doesn't get enough to be worth a sdtarting spot. And apparently he's not happy about being used only as a super sub, so moving was the logical thing to do.

We'd all like a bit of local flavour in the team, but let's not let that cloud our judgement too much. Had he been at another club and not from Blackburn we wouldn't be clamouring to sign him.

Best of luck in Greece Matt, and I hope you can prove me wrong!

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"The Greek champions refused to dislose the transfer fee for the former England under-21 international but local media reports said it was about three million euros ($4.19 million).

An additional 600,000 euros will be paid if Olympiakos retain their title next year"

Santa Cruz and medical problems? Never, next you will be saying that a product of our youth academy will play in Greece!!

Matty was a product of Great Harwood Town actually, not our academy.

Gutted to see him go. I think Rovers have made a big mistake.

Forget the City game. What about Newcastle away when chance after chance went begging until right at the death Matty was 1 on 1 with their goally and scored. Only he could put the ball in the net; nobody else on the pitch that day could.

Was it Boro away when he came on as a sub and wellied it into the top corner with his first kick. Local lad, comes good, and scores important goals.

There are many other great Derbyshire goals.

Oh, and for those who say he is a good finisher but doesn't do anything else, Freidal was a good stopper but didn't do anything else.

If a young Simon Garner came to the club now he would have no chance.

Gutted to see him go. I think Rovers have made a big mistake.

Forget the City game. What about Newcastle away when chance after chance went begging until right at the death Matty was 1 on 1 with their goally and scored. Only he could put the ball in the net; nobody else on the pitch that day could.

Was it Boro away when he came on as a sub and wellied it into the top corner with his first kick. Local lad, comes good, and scores important goals.

There are many other great Derbyshire goals.

Oh, and for those who say he is a good finisher but doesn't do anything else, Freidal was a good stopper but didn't do anything else.

If a young Simon Garner came to the club now he would have no chance.

who's Freidal? if you mean Friedel i do believe he scored a goal for us once so leave of him. didn't do anything else? the cheek!

i think we are getting a fair price for matty and if he doesn't fit in to big sams plans there is no point in keeping him. looked poor all season apart from two or three glimpses. not good enough for the premiership. local lads are great when they are good enough. derbyshire played a part in his time at the club and i really like him and wish him well but it isn't to be at rovers.

if a young simon garner came to the club he wouldn't stand a chance. no smoking policy i'm sure. a lot more discipline is required these days. we are dealing with athletes. like benni mac :lol:

Matty was a product of Great Harwood Town actually, not our academy.

actually i think you`ll find that matt is unique in that he`s a product of his own determination to make an impact as a player, he never really has been produced by any team. he played for a few local amateur sides, and only a handful of games for gt harwood where he scored a lot of goals before souey`s scouts spotted him and graeme signed him up after having a look himself. more or less he`s a player that`s been plucked off the local parks, he`s a real football fairytale story. the fact that story has now led him into european football with a giant like olympiakos, who`s not to say he could go to the top in the world game? it`s there for him to do if he wants it enough. i expect to be hearing a lot more about him in the coming years.

I'll echo the thoughts from those who are disappointed to see another local player leave to be replaced by some reserve we've never heard of and who will only be around for 12 months anyway. It makes me wonder why we have an academy etc (I realise Derbyshire didn't come through the academy) as we rarely seem to give these players the chance. As for him not being good enough? I can't agree with that as I don't think he's any better or worse than many in the squad. We won't get a replacement at the price we've agreed for him so I don't follow the logic of this sale. Derbyshire wanted to play for Rovers which seems like a good starting point. I'm sure Di Santo can't wait to get here.

Good luck to him. If someone had offered me the chance to play professional football in Greece at 23 I'd have jumped at the opportunity.

A local lad...a rovers supporter....an underdeveloped talent. And in future we will watch him develop and play for teams with enthusiasm. Whilst we buy mercenaries who stay for a while if they are crap or decide to be temperamental if they have a good first season. What is the point of "taking back Ewood" if you do not invest patient effort in locaL TALENT. What happened to the "Roy of the Rovers" dream? We cannot shift Crocky so who can we shift for some dosh? Just imagine what Uncle Jack's decision on this would have been.

I'll echo the thoughts from those who are disappointed to see another local player leave to be replaced by some reserve we've never heard of and who will only be around for 12 months anyway. It makes me wonder why we have an academy etc (I realise Derbyshire didn't come through the academy) as we rarely seem to give these players the chance. As for him not being good enough? I can't agree with that as I don't think he's any better or worse than many in the squad. We won't get a replacement at the price we've agreed for him so I don't follow the logic of this sale. Derbyshire wanted to play for Rovers which seems like a good starting point. I'm sure Di Santo can't wait to get here.

Good luck to him. If someone had offered me the chance to play professional football in Greece at 23 I'd have jumped at the opportunity.

A local lad...a rovers supporter....an underdeveloped talent. And in future we will watch him develop and play for teams with enthusiasm. Whilst we buy mercenaries who stay for a while if they are crap or decide to be temperamental if they have a good first season. What is the point of "taking back Ewood" if you do not invest patient effort in locaL TALENT. What happened to the "Roy of the Rovers" dream? We cannot shift Crocky so who can we shift for some dosh? Just imagine what Uncle Jack's decision on this would have been.

Could not agree more with You guys !

Cant believe he's gone. And for a fee just above free.

He'd probably have backed the manager's decision and not let his heart rule his head. That's what we should do. We pay allardyce a fair whack to make decisions he thinks are right for the team and then we all moan when he makes one we don't like. Think about the player too. He wanted first team football. He wasn't getting it here under any manager we appointed. He gets the chance to play for a top Greek side who also happen to have Champions League football. What's not to like?

Sorry to see a local lad leave,

Maybe he wasnt played in his prefered role up front, however he was easily knocked off the ball and was never a 90min player.

An impact player to come off the bench at best.

Good luck to the lad in Greece.

Those knocking the manager should remember how people knocked Hughes for getting rid of Stead. :unsure:

What's not to like?

Unfortuantely the state and standing of the modern day game - there was a place for Matty in this squad including starting games.

Not given the chance or guidance to help him develop imo , played up front he did his job and scored goals yet still got messed about - a sad reflection of football and a bad move by the club (certainly if any of the likes of some of the names being bandied about happen to be signed)

Unfortuantely the state and standing of the modern day game - there was a place for Matty in this squad including starting games.

Not given the chance or guidance to help him develop imo , played up front he did his job and scored goals yet still got messed about - a sad reflection of football and a bad move by the club (certainly if any of the likes of some of the names being bandied about happen to be signed)

We can not be in the business of giving players chances, if Sam doesn't think Matty is the man for the squad then so be it. For all we know Matty may have demanded that he starts when fit, or he could have been offered a very lucrative package and an as good as guaranteed start week in week out in Greece. Who know's? All I know is that if he really did want to stay at Rovers and play a part he would have been happy to be a squad player and play his heart out as and when needed.

Matty is still not yet strong enough against the defences in the Prem, we've all seen that. However he has made some excellent appearances as sub and changed games, he obviously wasn't happy staying here to do that. I'm sure Sam has somebody in mind to replace him.

I'd like to with Matt all the best in the future and I've love to see him back here one day after gaining experience abroad.

Sad to see him go. IMO Matt Derbyshire provides more than Jason Roberts.

Considering he is young, a local lad and a goalgetter I would really like us to develop him.

I wish Matty all the best and hope I will see him in blue and white sometime soon!

To those of you saying that you can't get sentimental and show feelings in todays modern football. That is bullshit.

It is being sentimental and showing feelings this game is all about. Nothing like seeing Derbyshire kissing the badge after burying Newcastle away at St James's Park on overtime!

he was always happy and a true rover when playing!

We can not be in the business of giving players chances, if Sam doesn't think Matty is the man for the squad then so be it. For all we know Matty may have demanded that he starts when fit, or he could have been offered a very lucrative package and an as good as guaranteed start week in week out in Greece. Who know's? All I know is that if he really did want to stay at Rovers and play a part he would have been happy to be a squad player and play his heart out as and when needed.

Matty is still not yet strong enough against the defences in the Prem, we've all seen that. However he has made some excellent appearances as sub and changed games, he obviously wasn't happy staying here to do that. I'm sure Sam has somebody in mind to replace him.

I'd like to with Matt all the best in the future and I've love to see him back here one day after gaining experience abroad.

Agree with the rest of your post but the comment about not giving players a chance is just typical of many fans nowadays falling to the 'has to be a superstar' tag to play in the premier league - any player that gets played has to be given a chance - not every player can hit it off straight away. As mentioned he was no worse than some players that don't need mentioning.

He may not have been a world beater but did what he had to do when played up front and scored vital goals which is what mattered and what we actually need - how can a player really develop if not played in his preferred role and still at a fairly young age?

One thing is for sure - is that we will not get anybody better for less money and that actually wants to play for the club.

He may have demanded a move but I doubt it would have been at an at all costs statement.

As for experience - what and how much experience do you want him to get before he comes back? - if he sets the world alight his fee will go up , if he doesn't he won't be considered good enough again anyway

Would you want an ageing player coming back who was not considered good enough in the first place :wacko:

Sad for two reasons.

He is local and he did score goals.

But, he missed a hell of a lot, wasnt strong enough on the ball, and was fairly inconsistent.

For a lower level Premier League team he may have done the business, BUT if we are trying to be pushing for a European spot then we can do better and hopefully with Sam's signings, we will.

Sad to see him go. IMO Matt Derbyshire provides more than Jason Roberts.

There seems to be a lot of people thinking this, and frankly its completely ludicruous.

Roberts is in a different league to Derbyshire in terms of all round play. The team is far far stronger with Roberts in than Derbyshire.

Agree with the rest of your post but the comment about not giving players a chance is just typical of many fans nowadays falling to the 'has to be a superstar' tag to play in the premier league - any player that gets played has to be given a chance - not every player can hit it off straight away. As mentioned he was no worse than some players that don't need mentioning.

He may not have been a world beater but did what he had to do when played up front and scored vital goals which is what mattered and what we actually need - how can a player really develop if not played in his preferred role and still at a fairly young age?

One thing is for sure - is that we will not get anybody better for less money and that actually wants to play for the club.

He may have demanded a move but I doubt it would have been at an at all costs statement.

As for experience - what and how much experience do you want him to get before he comes back? - if he sets the world alight his fee will go up , if he doesn't he won't be considered good enough again anyway

Would you want an ageing player coming back who was not considered good enough in the first place :wacko:

How's about him coming back at the end or towards the end of a 3yr deal? That would work out well. He'd not be 'ageing', he'd just has matured a little. He's had a chance, 3 seasons in fact. It must have been tough battling with the likes of RSC and Benni but the chance has been there to shine, and on occasions he did.

He's young and ambitious, he want to play every week and there's more chance of that in Greece. Good luck to him. I'm sure we;ll have some sort of a buy back clause in there somewhere if the deal goes through and I'm sure Matty would want to come back to Blackburn rather than play against us on a possible return to the Prem.

Maybe I worded it badly, yes, give players a bit of a chance but if Sam feels he can bring a stronger player in on similar money then that is the way to go I'm sure. I don't expect every player to be a superstar, and I would love the likes of local lads Matty and Dunny starting every week, I'm afraid it's not going to happen. If it was up to me I'd keep Matt and play him from the start. I'm just trying to see both sides of what's going on.

Roberts has proven, during both his time at Rovers and elsewhere, that he is a better player than Derbyshire. Though very different players, he has kept Derbyshire out of the first team under both Hughes and Allardyce and for lengthly spells at a time. If Roberts could finish, he'd be a really, really good Premier League striker.

Matty always seemed a good guy and was a local lad, so I'm a bit sad to see him leave. However, he was our no. 4 striker last season and our no. 3 winger. He is a decent Premier League squad player and a good impact sub, but he isn't good enough to hold down a regular place. He has found his level and seems happy to live in Greece, so good luck to him. £2.5m or so is also a pretty reasonable price.

If it was as simple as that it would be the one that scores - but it isn't. It's also about the one who provides your defence with an outlet so the ball doesn't just keep coming back, the one who can hold the ball up bringing others into play, the one who can put defenders under real pressure to force them into mistakes, the one who can use their strength to earn free kicks and penalties and so on. It's no coincidence that we have predominantly seen McCarthy's best form when he has played alongside Roberts.

Don't get me wrong - I have a lot of time for Derbyshire, but I just can't agree that he is more valuable to the side than Roberts.

Matty takes his chances.

I'll give you to different games:

Matty overtime against Newcastle

Roberts overtime against Sunderland.

Who would you prefer?

The one who scores or the one who can't hit water from a boat?

In the Premier League:

Derbyshire (Rovers): 63 appearances, 10 goals.

Roberts (Wigan and Rovers): 167, 51.

Those figures aside, Matty is hardly a great finisher.

Matty takes his chances.

I'll give you to different games:

Matty overtime against Newcastle

Roberts overtime against Sunderland.

Who would you prefer?

The one who scores or the one who can't hit water from a boat?

I'd prefer Roberts with better finishing or Matty with Roberts' strength.

We keep bringing up the late goal at Newcastle. Yes it was great for him to score the winner but he is just not strong enough.

I'd love him to stay and be successful but I just don't think it will happen.

Good luck Matty, we'd love to see you back in a Rovers shirt in the not too distant future.

Some people are making out like it's a bit of a sob story - local boy being sold by the club against his will.

I'm fairly sure this move is 100% what Matt will want. Champions League football, life in sunny Greece, one of the most amazing stadium atmospheres in the world, challenging for league titles...he'd be mad not to want to take the opportunity.

It's one of those rare deals where it's best for all parties concerned; we're getting a good fee for a relatively unproven striker, he gets an exciting new life in Greece, Olympiakos get the man they wanted. Everyone's happy.

Archived