BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bentley

Hughesy

I really don't give a flying one for how he interviews. For one reason the press steer the interview and then twist anything to suit their agenda, and if it is damaging to either himself or the club then I'm sure Hughes can either a. demand to see any article before publishing or b. Ban him from speaking to the press/ media.

I don't really care whether he plays for England or not cos even though he is a street in front of the likes of Dyer / Genas / Smith. I think he is only barely good enough (yet) to even be even considered an for England place never mind as an automatic choice. But I do think that he will keep improving and just might turn into a very big player for his country in years to come.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the FA were to pick an English manager anytime soon then Bentley talks more sense in his interviews than anyone else I've heard! He has such positive enthusiasm about playing for his country, much more than can be said about the media and certain players who believe that a squad place in a top 4 side automatically warrants a place in the England first team.

All the talk about England not having technical abilty is rubbish as Bentley has it in abundance. Beckham still deserves a place in the starting line up but Bentley is by far the best replacement. SWP has more pace but that's it; he can't cross or pass a ball for s**t and only gets in the team because he plays for Chelsea.

All the talk about England not having technical abilty is rubbish as Bentley has it in abundance. Beckham still deserves a place in the starting line up but Bentley is by far the best replacement. SWP has more pace but that's it; he can't cross or pass a ball for s**t and only gets in the team because he plays for Chelsea.

Agree with this..I hope Capello has the bottle to pick an England team based on form and how good the players are and not based on who they play for.

Agree with this..I hope Capello has the bottle to pick an England team based on form and how good the players are and not based on who they play for.

Unfortunately the best way to keep the press and media on his side (which I guess is important to weak managers :rolleyes: ) is to pick from the top four with some representation from Newcastle and Spurs.

Bentley was outstanding today. He made the likes of Essien, Cole and Lampard look completely ordinary, which is no small feat. Well, maybe with the exception of Lampard...

got to agree, bentley was class today though i think santa would prefer someone to play along side him than being up there on his own and i don't know where essien was playing today mate? :)

If the FA were to pick an English manager anytime soon then Bentley talks more sense in his interviews than anyone else I've heard! He has such positive enthusiasm about playing for his country, much more than can be said about the media and certain players who believe that a squad place in a top 4 side automatically warrants a place in the England first team.

Bentley has a load of technical ability but I wish he had an extra yard of pace. If he did he would be sensational. As it is he often has to beat a man two or three times (which he does suprisingly often) in order to get the final ball in.

I know that SWP was not on the pitch for all that long yesterday but the difference in class between him and Bentley was there for all to see. SWP did the square root of sod all whilst Bentley was the best player on the pitch by a mile.

I hope someone from the England set up was watching the game. :rover:

LT are reporting that Rovers are at an advanced stage on offering a new contract for Bentley who has lots of positive things to say about being at Blackburn.

That is great news. If we really want to progress, i.e. Champions League, we need to make sure we keep hold of our better players. By Bentley signing a new deal it will send out great signals to the fans that we are looking at progressing.

Not that I directly know Dave, but I am very reliably informed from someone who does that he has no interest in joining the top four - his time at Arsenal soured such ambitions and he knows he is on to a good thing at Rovers and feels indebted to Mark Hughes.

As long as we continue to finish in a decent position in the Premier League and the managerial setup remains favourable, we should have no fear of him roaming - hence his willingness to sign a new contract.

LT are reporting that Rovers are at an advanced stage on offering a new contract for Bentley who has lots of positive things to say about being at Blackburn.

This has a downside though - the guarenteed loss of form that a new deal produces at Rovers. Nelsen and Gamst are the major examples, with Samba also possibly joing that list!

On a serious note though, it's fully deserved and as long as he can keep getting into the England sqaud then I doubt he'd have any desire to move.

can anyone confirm this:

Did anyone notice Bentley's reaction after he scored the goal? He was looking at McCarthy at the centre circle and pointing at his badge as if questioning McCarthy's commitment. And quite right too that man is a one-season wonder.

can anyone confirm this:

Did anyone notice Bentley's reaction after he scored the goal? He was looking at McCarthy at the centre circle and pointing at his badge as if questioning McCarthy's commitment. And quite right too that man is a one-season wonder.

After Bentley struck the ball it did pass very close to McCarthy. Maybe McCarthy was trying to claim he got the last touch.

I'd say Bentley was pointing to himself as if to say it was "my goal".

According to Patrick Barclay in the Sunday Telegraph, he was told off for putting Lampard in his suggested England line up as that would prevent a very good prospect from getting into the team, a player who thoroughly deserved a run in the side.

Bentley.

does anyone else think Bentley is way over-rated? I'm a season ticket holder and I really think he receives a lot of disproportionate media-hype because he alomost fits the Beckham Goldenboy mould and made a couple of headlines last summer. He's good don't get me wrong, but isn't anywhere near the same match-winning standard of Duff if you get me yet seems to receive similar heights of reviews amongst our Rovers

does anyone else think Bentley is way over-rated? I'm a season ticket holder and I really think he receives a lot of disproportionate media-hype because he alomost fits the Beckham Goldenboy mould and made a couple of headlines last summer. He's good don't get me wrong, but isn't anywhere near the same match-winning standard of Duff if you get me yet seems to receive similar heights of reviews amongst our Rovers

:blink:

Maybe as Rover fans, when a player gets praise we can not believe that its true.

He scores a fair amount of goals, provides some assists, is a threat from set pieces (indirect and direct), and seems to cause opposition defenders trouble.

Is he the second coming of the Messiah? No.

Is he worth being given a chance to see if he can perform better than SWP or Lennon on the right wing for England? Yes.

No, he's a fantastic player.

Archived