BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bentley

Hughesy

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Forget England, I'd far rather he started putting in some half decent performances for us for a change.

Trying to score from a spectacular free kick once or twice a game just doesn't cut it I'm afraid.

Fair enough assessment, although I don't think it's really down to just Bentley.

I think he feels the pressure to create when he's played in the middle, the 4-5-1 formation we're playing recently is obviously designed to give him maximum freedom...I think he feels he has to make something happen every time he gets the ball. I'd be happier giving Tugay Bentley's current role and putting Bentley out wide instead of Derbyshire.

I'm not expecting Bentley to figure much against Switzerland due to his last few games. In fact, if I look at the England squad without any Rovers bias, I think I'd want Young and Cole to start on the wings if we use a formation that has wide men.

Forget England, I'd far rather he started putting in some half decent performances for us for a change.

Trying to score from a spectacular free kick once or twice a game just doesn't cut it I'm afraid.

Oh god here we go. Every season Rev has to have "hate figures", players who he'll criticise virtually every game come what may. Just like he has to have his favourites (Derbyshire, Savage, Reid etc) who will be immune from any criticism. It would appear that Bentley has joined his hate list along with McCarthy.

Bentley had a decent game yesterday, not brilliant, but decent enough. As usual, most of our best chances came from his good work and, as usual, he looked to be one of our biggest attacking threats. They were plenty of other players who were far more deserving of criticism yesterday - players such as Pedersen, Reid or Derbyshire (although I have some sympathy for the latter as he was playing out of position).

Now I can cope with your delusional ramblings on here, God knows I've got used to them, but when you supposedly represent Rovers fans in a national newspaper and continue to spout rubbish it becomes a tad embarrassing.

Oh god here we go. Every season Rev has to have "hate figures", players who he'll criticise virtually every game come what may. Just like he has to have his favourites (Derbyshire, Savage, Reid etc) who will be immune from any criticism. It would appear that Bentley has joined his hate list along with McCarthy.

Bentley had a decent game yesterday, not brilliant, but decent enough. As usual, most of our best chances came from his good work and, as usual, he looked to be one of our biggest attacking threats. They were plenty of other players who were far more deserving of criticism yesterday - players such as Pedersen, Reid or Derbyshire (although I have some sympathy for the latter as he was playing out of position).

Now I can cope with your delusional ramblings on here, God knows I've got used to them, but when you supposedly represent Rovers fans in a national newspaper and continue to spout rubbish it becomes a tad embarrassing.

Got to agree with us. Bentley was easily our most threatening player yesterday, much much more so than Dunn. Yet Rev would pick Dunn above Bentley every time...

OMG- just read the article! How can Derbyshire have a higher rating than Bentley he did nothing!!! Bentley supplied all of our threeatening crosses! What planet are you on?

OMG- just read the article! How can Derbyshire have a higher rating than Bentley he did nothing!!! Bentley supplied all of our threeatening crosses! What planet are you on?

I guess its all about opinions. The Times report gave Bentley =top marks (7) with Zurab.

Bentley would probably have shone more if he had played wide right with Emerton behind him if we had only managed to buy a competant midfielder in Jan.

Scotty, you are turning into a very sad, nasty individual.

I don't agree with a lot of what you write, and quite often do agree with some of it, but do manage I think to respond without resorting to personal abuse. Unlike you.

Your personal issues aside, and sticking to the football, Bentley had a really poor game yesterday. As did MGP and Derbyshire , who as you pointed out was out of position.

Scotty, you are turning into a very sad, nasty individual.

I don't agree with a lot of what you write, and quite often do agree with some of it, but do manage I think to respond without resorting to personal abuse. Unlike you.

Your personal issues aside, and sticking to the football, Bentley had a really poor game yesterday. As did MGP and Derbyshire , who as you pointed out was out of position.

I've nothing against you personally Rev, and I don't remember resorting to adjectives such as "sad" and "nasty" when describing you, but hey ho. I just think you write a lot of crap, both on here (which I mostly just let pass me by these days) and, more worringly now, in a national newspaper.

Bentley didn't have a "really poor game yesterday". He was average at worst. Don't just take my word for it - read some of the other match reports from the Sunday papers. The Sunday Telegraph even made him man of the match (which I don't agree with either mind).

So I find it strange that you find the need to criticise a player when he clearly doesn't deserve it. When you do it in the Observer as a representative of Blackburn Rovers supporters everywhere then it starts to bother me. I find it embarrassing that a fellow fan in such a public position can interpret things so wrongly. Sorry if you don't like that but that's how I feel. If stating that on here makes me "a very sad, nasty individual" then so be it.

I beg to differ re Bentley.

Not his best game but he certainly did not have a poor game. He repeatedly beat his man, carried the ball well and brought the only good save of the game out of Tim Howard. His distribution wasn't the best but it was a lot better than Steven Reid's whose passing progressively went to pieces and was the reason all our attacks in the last 15 minutes broke down.

Bentley has had an outstanding season so far and by the extremely high standards which he has set it was not one of his best games however I certainly would not class his performance as 'poor'.

A minority of fans see a player i.e. McCarthy, Bentley who plays great football for a season and then as soon as they have an 'off-day' they jump on their backs and immediately start slating them.

Not a dig at you Rev.....just an observation.

I've nothing against you personally Rev, and I don't remember resorting to adjectives such as "sad" and "nasty" when describing you, but hey ho. I just think you write a lot of crap, both on here (which I mostly just let pass me by these days) and, more worringly now, in a national newspaper.

Bentley didn't have a "really poor game yesterday". He was average at worst. Don't just take my word for it - read some of the other match reports from the Sunday papers. The Sunday Telegraph even made him man of the match (which I don't agree with either mind).

So I find it strange that you find the need to criticise a player when he clearly doesn't deserve it. When you do it in the Observer as a representative of Blackburn Rovers supporters everywhere then it starts to bother me. I find it embarrassing that a fellow fan in such a public position can interpret things so wrongly. Sorry if you don't like that but that's how I feel. If stating that on here makes me "a very sad, nasty individual" then so be it.

Just a few points, I am clearly not acting in the capacity of a representative of Blackburn Rovers fans everywhere, nor am I holding myself out as such, If I was I'd say so and would have to canvass opinion beforehand for a general consensus. I'm just giving my individual opinion on the match.

The paper contacted me through a third party to see if I'd be willing to give my views after some games. If you feel that strongly about it contact the paper yourself and I'm sure they'd be glad to add you to their panel of Blackburn fans. The more the merrier.

You're largely missing the main point. I think you write a lot of crap as well at certain times as well as making some equally good points at others. However when you disagree with someone's opinion (not just mine) you seem unable to simply state "I disagree" etc. but become personal and abusive.

As a side issue it's my opinion from your previous postings that in your eyes Bentley can do no wrong no matter how he plays, and I think you're taking any comment I made about him out of all proportion as it formed only a very small part of the article.

You're largely missing the main point. I think you write a lot of crap as well at certain times as well as making some equally good points at others. However when you disagree with someone's opinion (not just mine) you seem unable to simply state "I disagree" etc. but become personal and abusive.

As a side issue it's my opinion from your previous postings that in your eyes Bentley can do no wrong no matter how he plays, and I think you're taking any comment I made about him out of all proportion as it formed only a very small part of the article.

The only person who has been "personal and abusive" in our little exchange Rev is yourself. I simply criticised what you wrote, not you as a person.

As for Bentley, I happen to think he's one of our best players and he demonstrates that in most of the games he plays. I find your constant criticism of him bizarre, but then I find most of your post-match posts regarding our players lack objectivity and are based on a pre-conceived idea of what you already think of the player.

The only person who has been "personal and abusive" in our little exchange Rev is yourself. I simply criticised what you wrote, not you as a person.

Hmmm..........."delusional" "spouting rubbish" "embarrassing" and in the past you've labelled me "a clown"

Sorry, I don't see why I should have to put up with stuff like that because I've got a different opinion to you.

About ninety minutes football when all's said and done.

(Sorry also for dragging the thread completely off topic mods)

All I can see that Revidge said in The Observer regarding Bentley was that he was out of form. Considering what we know he's capable of, can anyone really argue with that? He's certainly not 'in form'.

All I can see that Revidge said in The Observer regarding Bentley was that he was out of form. Considering what we know he's capable of, can anyone really argue with that? He's certainly not 'in form'.

I would argue with that. He's our best player and Everton certainly knew that, - that's why there were a minimum of 3 players onto him whenever he had posession.

I would argue with that. He's our best player and Everton certainly knew that, - that's why there were a minimum of 3 players onto him whenever he had posession.

Do you not think that had something to do with Everton having the 5 in midfield - as when he pushed out right they certainly didn't have 3 on him then.

I agree, I think he is playing well and apart from Santa has probably been the most consistent, because he is the only one that is really doing anything to try and change the game. However I would not say he is bang in form.

I still feel he is wasted in the middle ( and don't get me on him being the 2nd 'deep lying' striker rubbish) and just ends up in dead ends when he plays there as there is normally no outlet for him to pass to. As such I am sure he feels frustrated in the respect he does seem to chose the wrong option alot of the time ie not passing to Bert MKII etc and ends up shooting when there are better options open for him.

Archived