BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bentley

Hughesy

Mind you, can't think of many Beeb pundits I like.

Shearer and Hanson I dont mind.

Wright, Peacock and Lawrenson make me cringe.

Lee Dixon I dont really have an opinion on.

Garth Crooks - I havent got a clue what the man is talking about half the time.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Shearer and Hanson I dont mind.

Wright, Peacock and Lawrenson make me cringe.

Lee Dixon I dont really have an opinion on.

Garth Crooks - I havent got a clue what the man is talking about half the time.

A cheap shot but Crooks doesn't know what he is talking about all of the time unless its about Spurs.

I always thought James Richardson with Paul Elliot were a class act on Channel 4's Football Italia. They should have found a way of bringing them into broadcasting on the English game.

It's teh way he says everything deadly seriously like he's reporting from a war zone or something, it's really odd.

Talking about the way people talk oddly when reporting and I dont know his name but the scottish presenter on sky sports that every time he speaks seams to shout louder than whoever is sitting next to him and just seems to shout at the screen like a school teacher annoys me.

Anyway, just seen this is the Bentley thread so best get back on topic before Den starts to shout :rolleyes:

Spot on theno (regarding Merson). In fact another 'pundit' that gets right on my wick is Ian Wright... you can't knock his passion for the game but he's not a knowledgable pundit and his constant promotion of his son Shaun is slightly embarrassing (and must make fellow pundits feel uncomfortable for saying anything against him). I can't say I've heard Schmeichel bigging up his son every time he pundits. Wright doesn't have the intellect to leave emotions alone and put a neutral viewpoint on things.

I get the feeling that the beeb only use Wright when SWP is playing. Nationwide publicity / blatant nepotism is hardly helping Bentley / Lennons case is it? Wright destroys dignified debate.

Who was the last player who, when a proposed transfer from a club our size to Chelsea has been on the table, has turned it down on the basis of perhaps not getting first team football? It's a huge pay day for any player in a relatively short career, and almost all would accept it.

Sidwell, Wright-Phillips, Parker, Duff, Lampard, Joe Cole, Bridge, Ben Haim, Anelka - this is the market Chelsea shop in, and not a Premiership player at a club of that size would turn them down. I'm amazed anyone still thinks otherwise.

Accepted in most cases a player will sign for the big club. But in this case we have a player who has been at a big club and felt first hand how a lack of first team football affects his game. For now, Dave is settled and it would take a contract the size of which is unheard of with first team football set in stone, or he isn't going anywhere. This will only change if Sparky leaves, or if his ability matures to the point he would walk into one of the first team of anyone competing for the title.

In my opinion, if your idea is to raise money from selling assets, we should sell assets who are open to the idea, which would be Benni or Roberts. Granted, they aren't worth as much, but souldn't we be pretty happy to have such a valuable player in Bentley who wants to play for Blackburn? I know I am.

Merson is right, he was also very hard on the Arsenal team last night for their performance, so he isn't just picking on us. Arsenal's training methods are obviously effective. Based on recent results you would have to say that we could do with taking a leaf out of their book.

No- the leaf we could take out of their book is hoovering up all the top young talent. Problem being we CAN'T because we don't have the funds or status to pursue such a policy anywhere near as effectively as the Arse.

As for Wright, in one of the games he actually said he thought Wright-Phillips was playing a bit poorly when the other pundits were bumming the lad, and he even said in a national newspaper before one game that he wouldn't pick Wright-Phillips for the match himself. Personally I quite like Wright. Beats the crap out of Lawrenson anyway.

Hope Bentley signs the new contract soon, the Bentley to Newcastle stories online are doing my nut in!

Which part of david's statement last week did you not believe then? "I love playing for the manager. I love playing with the lads here. I love the club."? We might be sceptical about loving the club as much as we do but he didn't have to say it. Why worry about something that doesn't appear to be an issue with him or the management. they don't want to sell - he doesn't want to be sold. End of story.

I have to be honest, since the New Year if I was Capello watching Bentley I wouldn't be greatly impressed. If he does get picked, it will be on his performances pre-new year and the amount of good publicity he is suddenly receiving. He's not playing bad, just not standing out in games like we know he can do.

SWP certainly appears to be in better form than Bentley at the moment.

Quite surprised (and relieved) that no-one has been in with a formal bid for either him or McCarthy this window and to a lesser extent (on the surprise front) Santa Cruz and Samba.

Archived