BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bentley

Hughesy

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Except he's not - I'd argue he's a better defender than both Cole and Bridge. Perhaps not as cultivated, but that's a matter of preferance.

I'm with Den. Warnock has 1 good game and then several poor games. I know Cole is a complete tool but he's as good a general defender than Warnock and is very good when up against someone who runs at him one on one (i.e Ronaldo Euro 2004). He's just a tool though.

Warnock will never be good enough to play again for England, the lad struggles to defend against some really average players, gets caught out of position a lot and IMO Gamst makes him look better than he is defensively at times, some people really do not realise just how much work defensively Gamst does on the left hand side to cover for Warnock. Add to the fact that players like Cole and Bridge are ahead in the pack already with players like Baines as well it is no suprise that Warnock hasn't even has his name mentioned.

As for Bentley, from looking at the squad that Capello has named thus far, i could possibly see him being one of the seven players he will drop from the list on Saturday. Bentley has been playing some good football, just not consistantly enough for me, i can see him keeping Ashley Young and SWP in the squad for the right hand side and discarding Bentley for this one. TBH i would discard SWP as he hasn't been on form himself and give Young and Bentley 45mins each to show what they can do as we already know what SWP can do when on form.

Warnock will never be good enough to play again for England, the lad struggles to defend against some really average players, gets caught out of position a lot and IMO Gamst makes him look better than he is defensively at times, some people really do not realise just how much work defensively Gamst does on the left hand side to cover for Warnock. Add to the fact that players like Cole and Bridge are ahead in the pack already with players like Baines as well it is no suprise that Warnock hasn't even has his name mentioned.

As for Bentley, from looking at the squad that Capello has named thus far, i could possibly see him being one of the seven players he will drop from the list on Saturday. Bentley has been playing some good football, just not consistantly enough for me, i can see him keeping Ashley Young and SWP in the squad for the right hand side and discarding Bentley for this one. TBH i would discard SWP as he hasn't been on form himself and give Young and Bentley 45mins each to show what they can do as we already know what SWP can do when on form.

I thought young played left wing

Hope Warnock gets in ahead of Baines - he's Welsh!

If Capello went off that logic then Woodgate wouldn't have been picked either. Boro have only kept one more clean sheet than we have.

Well he's a Spurs player now...in other words he has to be picked. I've not watched many Boro games, but from the few I have seen I haven't seen Woodgate make any obvious mistakes, the same can't be said for Warnock. Now when you are up against the likes of Ashley Cole, Wayne Bridge and a few others, you are going to struggle to make the national team when your seasons highlight reel does include falling on your backside a couple of times and letting opposition players in.

It would be a bit silly to pick the entire squad purely on form though. Some players have shown that they are more than good enough at that level and so, when fit, should be selected. There are a ton of reasons why you may not be playing or playing well for your club, but as a player like Owen has shown in the past, that doesn't mean that he can't then go and perform for England. I don't think Crouch should be in that category really, but there aren't many English strikers scoring a lot of goals at the moment.

:rover: not at all confident about this,heart says 1-1 yet another draw,head says 3-0 to everton with some bad referreing :brfcsmilie:

Has Bentley actually signed a new contract yet? Maybe part of the reason we didn't buy is because we are anticipating offering large wage increases to Bentley and Rocky?

Archived