BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Sunderland Preview

i take it your a bit 'special'. your on your own with your weird views. It was a good away performance just without the slightest bit of luck going our way.............if losing 2 matches is your breaking point you made a very poor decision to support rovers.

You're a fine one to talk. :rolleyes:

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great to read many positive posts/reflections, but being fresher gave us a big advantage today.

MOTD pundits are right with what they said. Performances don't matter at this stage of the season (as they can be misleading too), simply, it is all about picking up points.

If you brought in the 5-a-side "head-height" rule, you'd be knackered, which says it all.

We play to other teams weaknesses what's wrong with that? We can play football when we want to as we did for a lot of the first half which we won corners/throw ins from.

Also remind how your second was scored in relation to the quote I have taken out of your message? I think every team would be knackered could you imagine the keepers at goal kicks just trying to hoof it along the ground as far as they can? ;)

I can understand why teams like yourself resort to such "direct" tactics but if my team played that way I would not be happy. It can be effective but it's pretty dreadful to watch.

Patronising I can take from fans of big clubs, but from jumped-up only-kidding-yourself clubs like yours I find it hard to stomach - especially with your tremendous track record in the premier league <_<

If you brought in the 5-a-side "head-height" rule, you'd be knackered, which says it all.

Says nothing. Possibly the most pointless post ever. If you brought in a no-points-for-having-red-and-white-stripes rule you'd be knackered is about as sensible.

But you are right in that we have dominated two teams now for long spells and not converted that into points. We need to rectify that or we will have a long hard season ahead.

One observation from the Football First highlights was that, for all the chances we created today, did even one of them come from open play?

This has to be the worry for me - every 'chance' we get is a scramble in a crowded area - not always easy to find the net in those situations as more often than not you're off balance, the ball comes very quickly at you and even if you do hit the target, you need the luck of avoiding hitting any players that might be blocking the goal.

Compare our 'chances' today with the 1st Sunderland goal - the ball's nicely in front of him, he had time to assess the situation and compose himself as he rounds Robinson and scores with ease - what our strikers would give for chances like that!!

I have tried to give Allardyce the benefit of the doubt (I wasn't really in favour of his appointment), and I'll not stop going to support my team (although I have moved from the JW to the Darwen End - £350 was just too much to watch the kind of dross that he will serve up for us) - But more and more I hope that his tenure is not a long one - I was cringing at times watching us today and then to see his ridiculous interview on Motd where he tried to claim that the first disallowed goal should have stood following Jason Roberts' kung-fu style leap at their keeper - I was embarrassed to be a Rover.

Sorry - I know that for some of you, Allardyce is some kind of modern day messiah, but I for one can't wait til he goes. I'll keep on supporting the team, I'll try my best to get behind him while he's here, but I'll be cheering long and hard when he finally departs!!

Having watched the footy first one thing is obvious Kalinic needs to put his shooting boots on. That one he put over the bar if he had put his foot on top of the ball he would have scored. That miss is inexplicable even the one at the end should have been on target can't give the lad any excuses for those misses. He looks good as he gets in good positions. I am sure the arrival of Salgado will help his progression. I agree we need someone like Malbranque who can pick a pass out of nowhere who can supply the front line. I also feel looking at the injuries to Nelsen we should resist selling warnock seems as though the mirror article is wrong as a fee has yet to be agreed. I feel we will need him at this crucial stage with what will probably be a patched up defence maybe with Grella and Emo on the bench today that is a good sign as these 2 will improve us hope they both get a run-out against the Gills. I have to say special praise has to go to NZonzi he seems to be getting better each game and the goal he scored was unfairly chalked off. Did nobody notice Cattermole should have been easily sent off dirty player that challenge on Jacobsen was awful and could have caused a lot of damage it was late and reckless. I could not understand why he was appealing it very deserved yellow card. Then in the 2nd half when Kalinic got into a good position to release one of the strikers then Cattermole no challenge for the ball takes Kalinic out and the game goes on. In my opinion after that display Alan Wiley is one of the worst refs in the prem lge. and clearly he knew Cattermole was booked earlier and ducked out of making a decision in my mind he is clearly a coward as it was a definite yellow card offence meaning he should have taken an early bath! but other than the unlucky misses at least we are creating chances and we will get better I am sure of that.

I think we are playing really bad (I don't understand why some people say that we are playing good.)

1. We are playing 60s long ball style but hey now is 2009... It is meaningless to boot the ball upfield and yet there is no one to hold the ball. Did they forget that Santa is not here?

2. Because we are playing long ball. I can't see whether the performance of midfield is good enough or not. Or, may be because the mid field isn't good enough so the defense choose to skip the midfield and boot the field to front?

3. Don't sell Warnock. While I hope that the Salgado may be good in DR, our DR and DL today is (dont' say that word). Everytime Sunderland go to wing they can pass the ball out sucessful (and cause 2nd goal) and I can't see where is our DR / DL.

Our performance "may be" good. But losing 4 goal in 2 match you can't say that it is good. At this rate we will lose 74 goal at season end and we will only have 1 destination.

The only good thing is that our setpiece is much more better when comparing with previous season. Everytime there is a setpiece it always convert to big chance.

Many people on here have identified the real problem. We don't have a 'cutesy' type of player who can create time an space for others. Until we get one we will create chances from directness because of the size and strength of the players but we'll get many more games like this where strikers are 'snatching' at chances.

Many people on here have identified the real problem. We don't have a 'cutesy' type of player who can create time an space for others. Until we get one we will create chances from directness because of the size and strength of the players but we'll get many more games like this where strikers are 'snatching' at chances.

Even more so while the points and goals column shows 0, it creates more pressure and even less composure.

We can all agree that these last two performances have been much better than some of the crap we witnessed last season even under Allardyce. But the difference has been we won those games and nagged, but we lost these. I know which Id rather be having.

Also, I disagree with people who say we arent creating as much. We definitely are creating numerous chances, but maybe its not the type of creativity that purists would like.

Another quick observation from the FF highlights was that Robinson may as well have booted the ball into his own net and given Sunderland an equalizer, the way he came sprinting out at Jones. He gets this rush of blood to the head quite often and was lucky he didn't make any contact with Jones, because he would have been sent off.

Also, the number of long Pedersen throws being taken from nearer the half way line to their penalty box was totally unnecessary. From that kind of distance, we'll very rarely get anything out of them and it would have been far more beneficial to mix it up. From that position a short throw could well have taken them by surprise and we could have worked a cross into the box.

The second disallowed goal was certainly the correct decision. However, from five seperate replays, I just couldn't make my mind up on the first. From certain angles, Roberts didn't really seem to make any contact with the keeper but then, from the last angle, it looked like he impeded him.

The results will come, but this makes the West Ham game very important now and our record against them is abysmal of late.

Stats to look at from the last 2 weeks:

Shots on target

Sunderland 5 Blackburn 5

Shots off target

Sunderland 3 Blackburn 13

Corners

Sunderland 0 Blackburn 10

Shots on target

Blackburn 9 Man City 5

Shots off target

Blackburn 8 Man City 3

Corners

Blackburn 5 Man City 4

Although understandably I am a bit annoyed like a lot of other people that we haven't got anything out of these games I feel that the worm will turn if we continue to create chances like we are doing.

Keep the faith

So long as we keep that sort of form going, we are going to give somebody an almighty stuffing and we will be off and running. What was Alan Wiley on yesterday? Disgraceful reffing performance.

It wasnt Roberts who supposedly impeded him. It was Samba. Roberts was stood on the line tapping the ball in.

The second disallowed goal was unfortunately the correct decision. Had Samba not been involved then I am sure the keeper couldnt have saved it regardless.

I've only seen MOTM but it would seem there were three problems:

1. We can't take our chances

2. We gifted them two goals - that's two crucial errors by Samba this season.

3. No chances created from open play BUT it's good to see we do threaten from set pieces which has long been lacking at Ewood.

I'm not one for going by all the stats, score goals and win, don't score you lose. We need to score.

So long as we keep that sort of form going, we are going to give somebody an almighty stuffing and we will be off and running. What was Alan Wiley on yesterday? Disgraceful reffing performance.

Not it we have to keep shooting through a packed defence we won't Phillip!

And there are bigger ones than Sunderland had out!

Take the positives and the negatives and you see the reasons we have lost the game!!

Positives yes, we created chances, had lots of attempts on goal, two disallowed (you dont get many games with two disallowed)

Pederson was delivering the ball much better than last season, good dangerous crosses!

The negatives for me were we lack pace all over the park, Di Santo apart, we had no pace, its a worry, even at the back, we have little or no pace!!

As for quality in central midfield, well, we simply must address this, I was gobsmacked to hear the armband was passed to Andrews when Nelsen went off!!!

Finally Kalinic, he showed good touches yet his finishing let him down, despite as BFS says having two left feet, guys dont score in a decent league on a regular basis if they are poor finishers, Grabbi never was a striker, this lad showed he clearly gets int the correct positions and I think as soon as he gets his first goal to calm the nerves, he will be fine, Bilic is no mug and Croatia are a decent footballing side, so I think we must wait and see but I fel he will come good and soon too!!

I dont think we played that bad, was a shame for kalinic the guy had a mare but he looks aware and gets in those goalscoring areas, he will score plenty i think.

The problem is we dont have anyone to come off the bench and change a game, when we went behind i couldnt see us scoring again, we need some creativity in the centre mid and fast, malbranques through ball for jones first goal was a killer pass we dont have a player with that vision, players like that can change a game and he did, before the pass and goal sunderland had nothing.

The problem is Jones could finish given a chance, our strikers can't seem to.

Archived