BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Sunderland Preview

Attemps: Sunderland 7 Rovers 16

Corners :Sunderland 0 Rovers 10

Something is right.......but something is wrong.

Set pieces were not good enough again I believe.

Yep. If the guys can't put the ball in the net...............all else is a waste of time.

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I will reserve judgement until after I see the highlights on footy first but I have to say Sam has made big problems for ourselves letting Warnock go our player of the year last year I hope with the injuries we decide to not let him go but I think it might be a bit too late.

Just got back from match, and i have to say you were unlucky today. We were under loads of pressure 1st half, and 2nd half seemed fairly even.

Theres no doubt that if you keep putting teams under pressure like that, someone will get a hiding off you before long if your strikers start finding the target.

Can't believe some on here are talking about relegation etc. There is no way Blackburn will be relegated this year, there are a lot of teams a lot worse off than both of us. Think we'll both finish mid table which i'd be quite happy with.

Good luck for remainder of season.

I think I will reserve judgement until after I see the highlights on footy first but I have to say Sam has made big problems for ourselves letting Warnock go our player of the year last year I hope with the injuries we decide to not let him go but I think it might be a bit too late.

Punctuation please...

We have to turn this round quickly if we're not to get into really serious trouble, two games in and we're picking up injuries galore, the defence looks good on paper but seems to be letting sloppy goals in, the midfield is in no way Premiership quality and none of our strikers appear able to find the back of the net.

Unless we perform a lot better against "the big four" this season we're already down to twenty eight games in which to find our minimum forty points.

It's vital we put some points on the board quickly before that difficult stretch of games in october.

A neutral assessment of the game: we were far the better side. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/...tch-report.html

Sam will ensure that we do not spend a season in trouble. The response has been hysterical.

Just got back from match, and i have to say you were unlucky today. We were under loads of pressure 1st half, and 2nd half seemed fairly even.

Theres no doubt that if you keep putting teams under pressure like that, someone will get a hiding off you before long if your strikers start finding the target.

Can't believe some on here are talking about relegation etc. There is no way Blackburn will be relegated this year, there are a lot of teams a lot worse off than both of us. Think we'll both finish mid table which i'd be quite happy with.

Good luck for remainder of season.

Thanks for that other-side perspective Gary, always enjoy reading alternative reviews of how Rovers are performing...All the best

I think Sam has been right all along. If your players can't put the ball in the net, you are going to struggle. That's why he spent all our money on Kalinic. It was a big gamble, the guy has a lot to prove. The Chelsea lad looks a better prospect so far but it is early days.

Excellent logic, i wonder why no one else thought of that.

Think you have to say a very disappointing result. Second game in a row where we had ok chances but finishing has been poor. Plus the fact we had no midweek match so should have been fresher than Sunderland (Bruce highlighted this post match that they had a gruelling week).

Whilst it is great to put in good performances, it can also be deflating when you are not picking up points when playing well.

Seems like Nelsen is out for a while and Di Santo out for at least for 2-3 weeks, so as Sam says, a bad day.

What an awful day.

Set off late, broke down in Skipton, waited almost 2 hrs for the breakdown from Green Flag before the driver/owner managed to convince the poor fella to take us to the garage for a quick fix. Result was that the fix never happened and we have just got back to Leyland via Preston with our tickets intact, not been able to see the game and to find that we are in the bottom 3.

Truly, a waste of a day :angry:

Am thoroughly dejected and am going to have a cold shower, some food and a few lagers.

:blink::blink:

I'd love to read more reflections on the game. Where are you all? Even the cricket has gone flat!

Surprisingly for me, I'm not too despondent at all, after that game. Sunderland were very, very fortunate to come away with three points. Rovers defence were never really troubled all afternoon, while on the other hand Sunderland were very fortunate to come away with conceding only one goal. Bounce of the ball, that's all that wa lacking.

Midfield wasn't our strength, but it wasn't that kind of game. Rovers played it long most of the time, but they weren't simply playing "hoofball". The long balls were early balls, played to the front men to run onto - and there's nothing wrong with that. That's not the same as just lumping it into the heavens for a Kevin Davies type player to hopefully latch onto. Can't really go without mentioning Kalanic's misses, they really were bad. He snatched at all three golden opportunities, [although I'm not sure if the whistle hadn't already gone for the one where he chipped it over the bar from a yard out], and hardly made contact with the ball - amateurish at best.

Worrying injury list again. Sam reckons Nelsen and Di Santo are going to need nursing for a few weeks.

The season starts next Saturday for me because I didn't make the Man City game. Looking forward to it.

Good performance, some shocking finishing, lets see what the next game brings.

however, what the hell happened to working on improving the injuries????

Nelsen's re-occurrence, probably because he's been rushed back, means first team football for Olsson. Lets hope he raises his game.

Guest ErinBrown
My point exactly John.

Since Hughes and his boys left we have had loads of injuries.

I don't think it has anything to do with the medical staff at the club.

You say that since Hughes and his boys left our injuries have gone up. But as far as im concerned the injuries have happened to. Nelsen (had a history of injury problems anyway), Dunn (always been injury prone), Grella (wasn't tested under Hughes medical staff and was injury prone before he came), Emerton (a injury that developed over time and would have under any manager) and Di Santo (first time playing constantly at this level)?

I went to the game today and rather mixed reactions on full time. First half was decent, we were the better side and troubled Sunderland, especially in the air. Fulop in goal for them is clearly pretty dodgy with high balls which meant we got a lot of chances. We looked like we'd scored early on but the ref ruled it out. It was right down the other end so couldn't see if this was justified. We then went 1-0 up after Sunderland failed to clear another corner and Givet blasted home. Sunderland then equalised after Samba made a hash of clearing a punt up field, Jones raced through and rounded Robbo easily. We probably shaded the first half, Samba and Nelsen nullified Jones and Bent pretty well apart from the one error by Samba and they looked rattled. Givet at left back was solid enough too and it was nice to see him get a goal.

Second half was a different story. Sunderland clearly got a bollocking at the break and losing Nelsen to injury meant we looked shakier defensively. Olsson did ok going forwards but was exposed a little defensively and Jacobsen looked iffy at times too. Jury's out on him for me, he got caught out of position a couple of times but does seem to have decent pace and get stuck in. The real difference was where one might expect, midfield. Cana and, in particular, Cattermole overran Andrews and N'Zonzi though to be fair to N'Zonzi he did quite a good job blunting Jones in the air some of the time. We had another goal ruled out after they scored. No foul on Fulop at all though Samba may have been offside standing next to him. If it was ruled out for Samba impeding Fulop then we've been very harshly done by though. Samba was stood next to Fulop who completely missed Olsson's looping header which floated in without Samba needing to touch it.

What became quickly apparent after Sunderland went ahead is that there is no plan B. We were always a threat in the air from set pieces but that was it. No creativity from any of the midfield 4 and that needs to be addressed. Roberts was very average, he spent half the time moaning to the ref and never looked much of a threat (though there was little service). Kalinic looked bright at times, some nice touches and if we can give him some service then I think he'll do alright. Di Santo also put himself about and caused problems before going off injured.

We had the better of Sunderland physically but the few times they got the ball down and played it on the floor, we struggled a lot more and I fear we may be in for some tough games against 'footballing' teams. Jacobsen got exposed for the goal which was the one time Sunderland really attacked us with pace. Last ten minutes we stuck Samba up front as everyone expected but we couldn't quite force the opening. Kalinic missed a good chance in the last minute although in truth we always looked like we were struggling once Sunderland went ahead early in the second half.

On the basis of this performance, we'll compete with the teams in the bottom half and should match everyone physically. We desperately need some creativity in midfield though and a lot is relying on at least one of Kalinic and Di Santo firing. Not a disaster but not too impressive overall.

Guest Kamy100
I went to the game today and rather mixed reactions on full time. First half was decent, we were the better side and troubled Sunderland, especially in the air. Fulop in goal for them is clearly pretty dodgy with high balls which meant we got a lot of chances. We looked like we'd scored early on but the ref ruled it out. It was right down the other end so couldn't see if this was justified. We then went 1-0 up after Sunderland failed to clear another corner and Givet blasted home. Sunderland then equalised after Samba made a hash of clearing a punt up field, Jones raced through and rounded Robbo easily. We probably shaded the first half, Samba and Nelsen nullified Jones and Bent pretty well apart from the one error by Samba and they looked rattled. Givet at left back was solid enough too and it was nice to see him get a goal.

Second half was a different story. Sunderland clearly got a bollocking at the break and losing Nelsen to injury meant we looked shakier defensively. Olsson did ok going forwards but was exposed a little defensively and Jacobsen looked iffy at times too. Jury's out on him for me, he got caught out of position a couple of times but does seem to have decent pace and get stuck in. The real difference was where one might expect, midfield. Cana and, in particular, Cattermole overran Andrews and N'Zonzi though to be fair to N'Zonzi he did quite a good job blunting Jones in the air some of the time. We had another goal ruled out after they scored. No foul on Fulop at all though Samba may have been offside standing next to him. If it was ruled out for Samba impeding Fulop then we've been very harshly done by though. Samba was stood next to Fulop who completely missed Olsson's looping header which floated in without Samba needing to touch it.

What became quickly apparent after Sunderland went ahead is that there is no plan B. We were always a threat in the air from set pieces but that was it. No creativity from any of the midfield 4 and that needs to be addressed. Roberts was very average, he spent half the time moaning to the ref and never looked much of a threat (though there was little service). Kalinic looked bright at times, some nice touches and if we can give him some service then I think he'll do alright. Di Santo also put himself about and caused problems before going off injured.

We had the better of Sunderland physically but the few times they got the ball down and played it on the floor, we struggled a lot more and I fear we may be in for some tough games against 'footballing' teams. Jacobsen got exposed for the goal which was the one time Sunderland really attacked us with pace. Last ten minutes we stuck Samba up front as everyone expected but we couldn't quite force the opening. Kalinic missed a good chance in the last minute although in truth we always looked like we were struggling once Sunderland went ahead early in the second half.

On the basis of this performance, we'll compete with the teams in the bottom half and should match everyone physically. We desperately need some creativity in midfield though and a lot is relying on at least one of Kalinic and Di Santo firing. Not a disaster but not too impressive overall.

Thanks, really good write up.

Having watched the game in the Black Dog, another gut wrenching outcome. Sunderland were rubbish from start to finish. Two defensive howlers woeful Rovers finishing and bad luck gave them the points. A fair result would have been 4-1 to Rovers. The corner count was Rovers 10, Sunderland none an amazing stat. Chuck in throw ins in dangerous areas and you can add another 10 from Peds whilst Sunderland it seemed barely had a throw in over the half way line.

First defensive howler, 3 defenders, 1 striker. Hopeful punt up field and a goal. Second one exposed down the left. To be fair Catermole produced a world class cross and Givet and Ollson were left 2 yards off their men. Gievt's man (jones) scored unmarked 6 yards out. We conceded more goals than any other premiership club last season. 4 more so far. Do we have to score three to win?

The howlers and the dirty ball marks all over the woodwork I'll leave to MOTD.

Overall I have to say we were excellent though the free passing of Ince has gone to be replaced by a mixed back of physical and some passing. Pressing and fitness which are up dramatically under BFS. We out run, out muscled a physical Sunderland.

Kalinic had a stinker. Do not mention the words Grabbi!! -- A horror performance --- Lacked pace and snatched at 3 good chances.

Pederson was outstanding as was surprisingly N'Zonzi who got the better of Castermole comfortably for most of the 90 minutes. Andrews who shouldn't be starting was at his level against this Sunderland team and played reasonably well. Samba is loose. Givet responsible for the 2nd. Nelson had a great game till knee trouble took him off. Sad to Di Santo hobble off after about 15 with a hamstring.

Jacobson had a decent game aside of being caught out of position for the 2nd. He actually showed some pace which was welcome.

In the end Robbo had nothing to do put pick the ball out of the net. Ditto City. We have played well as team (note: would like passing football!) and stupid lapses in concentration cost us dearly as well as lacking (a lot) of punch up top.

We'll finish 14th on this performance.

Hope you got a preview lined up Big A. One of the best post match reports i have read on here. Summed it up for me perfect ,lil bits of good stuff some truly shocking passing second half.We really do need a cool head in centre midfield.Viera anyone or Beckam(i still think i got a chance of being a pro n i'm old...ish so what do i know).Never thought we would be challenging for europe, for me this season is about doing better than B*****y and thinking we will both be there for next season.

P.S. i will be there Oct but if i have to go in the Jack Walker Lower again i will not be buying a ticket, any help will be apreciated

I think we will be okay this season. Bolton and Pompey have made just as bad a start, except we have made things difficult by not converting all that pressure into points. Its going to be another close season, but again there are teams worse than us.

I went to Sunderland :

The first half was good, we threatened them aerially, and forced their keeper into a few mistakes due to our constant pressure. We were the only team in it for most of the first half, and had a goal chalked off before eventually Givet bundled home. We should have kicked on from there, however allowed them to score an equalizer - though Samba could haver perhaps prevented the ball from getting through to Jones, and felt Robinson was too hasty in rushing off his line, only to leave Jones with an open net and a Sunderland equalizer.

Second half, Sunderland came out up for it, we didn't look at the races. The Nelsen injury seemed to unsettle us, as I don't rate Olsson at all. The goal was an annoying one, as Jacobson was left out of position after he went for a ball he was never going to get. Don't know if Robinson could perhaps have done better for their goal. From there we created the odd chance, but mainly from their hesitancy in defence rather than showing any real quality. Think it was Olsson (not sure) who struck the post. Frustrating. Olsson and Jacobson didn't impress me, hope we aren't going to regret selling Warnock (but we will). Kalinic missed a sitter or two, the one at the end was shocking. A near open net and he snatched at it, dragging it wide, another chance gone. He looked okay until he was left in front of goal, where he seemed like a rabbit caught in the headlights.

Robinson 6 Did okay, could have done better (perhaps for both goals).

Jacobson 5 Too slow and often out of position. Salgado should be a big improvement on him.

Samba 6 Could have cut out the first goal, but was okay overall

Nelsen 7 Was good first half, suffered without him

Givet 7 Was very good whilst he was on, see above.

Diouf 6 Largely anonymous but worked hard.

Andrews 4 Anonymous, really didn't do anything, out of position etc.

N'Zonzi 7 Quite impressed with him, mature and composed

Pedersen 6 Some dangerous set pieces, although his 45 yard volly was atrocious.

Roberts 5 Did very little but run into nothing and flail his arms

Di Santo - Didn't have time, seemed okay whilst he was on.

Olsson 4 Don't rate him at all, not good enough defensively.

McCarthy 6 Didn't get any sort of service.

Kalinic 5/6 Performance wise was good, but that miss will live long in the memory. No composure when faced with goal

Was very disappointed with the away support today, most didn't want to stand up at all and seemed against making much noise. I hated being stuck sat down trying to sing, there were a bunch non stop singing, however I doubt they made much of a noise when you had about 50 max singing. The police and stewards didn't help second half when they threw people out for nothing, but even before then, in some areas it didn't look like an away day. For gods sake, even Burnley bring good followings who sing and stand up, too many of ours might as well be sat in the home end because you can't tell who they support. Lost the faith a bit, was looking forward to it today.

Archived