BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Chelsea V Rovers Preview

colin

I watched the whole game on TV. I haven't read any of this thread since but what I have to say is this:-

That was a totally unacceptable performance by a Rovers side. Those players were not fit to wear the shirt.

Under Mark Hughes we had grit, determination and a fighting spirit. We may not have won but they would have known they'd been in a game.

Lardarse (see, Waggy's got me at it now) and his staff sent a load of pussycats out there who just rolled over and allowed themselves and, more importantly, we supporters to be humiliated.

TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE.

I cannot pick a MOM for Rovers because of their lack of effort.

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think a lot of people are missing what's going on here.

Forget the debate about big Sam or the tactics, because neither of those are the fundamental reasons behind the current Arsenal/Chelsea results. Some of the fans on here have expressed views that the way forward for us, as a club, is to sell at the top and buy cheap.That's what we have done and this is where we are. People seemed happy to take the cash believing that we could replace with better and move forwards. Taking on the likes of Arsenal - or any of the big four - is difficult, even with the likes of the Bellamy's, Bentley's, Santa Cruz's or Warnocks. Without them it's impossible. Now maybe the player sales were inevitable - maybe they weren't, but those of us watching rovers, or football in general, know there's only one direction selling your best players takes you.

Quite simply, the current squad isn't anywhere near good enough to withstand any kind of creative play.

That is true, but I think what gets most fan's backs up is there are conference sides who'd harry and press Chelsea more than our lacklustre capitulation.

Also, the cynic in me wonders how serious these illnesses and injuries were? If memory serves me correct, we were also without half our defence at the Emirates too, our last "unwinnable" game. Co-incidence, or just bad luck?

Part of me thinks the same. Samba and Dunn happened to sneeze near Allardyce at training so he immediately ruled them out.

We gave one of the best sides in Europe the freedom of their own park; no wonder we got spanked. Rovers played far too deep and didn't look like they were really trying. Our midfield has been inadequate for 2 seasons now.

However, we won't play like this every week and we will not go down.

I also think we'll put in a much better showing next week at Old Trafford.

That is true, but I think what gets most fan's backs up is there are conference sides who'd harry and press Chelsea more than our lacklustre capitulation.

Maybe Topman, but the midfielders we put out yesterday don't have the ability to get anywhere near the opposition when they pass and move. Add the fact that Roberts can't help out in any way, Chelsea had the freedom of the park. Apparently Sam has laid the blame on the players? I don't know if that's true, but it is correct, but it's not their fault they are playing.

Part of me thinks the same. Samba and Dunn happened to sneeze near Allardyce at training so he immediately ruled them out.

We gave one of the best sides in Europe the freedom of their own park; no wonder we got spanked. Rovers played far too deep and didn't look like they were really trying. Our midfield has been inadequate for 2 seasons now.

However, we won't play like this every week and we will not go down.

I also think we'll put in a much better showing next week at Old Trafford.

It was said on goals on sunday that a few of the rovers squad have swine flu - including some of those on the pitch yesterday. If correct then it 'might' excuse yesterdays performance. But another slant on that is if they did have swine flu they should not have been allowed to travel to Chelsea. They should not have been allowed to go anywhere near a public event etc.

81 min Ballack shoots well wide from 25 yards. I can't remember the last time I saw a side shoot so often from distance. That's mainly because Blackburn haven't pressed the ball at all.

That's from the Guardian- second most viewed piece on their web site at the moment.

And that screams managerial failing. Either he cannot get players to do what he tells them to or he gets his tactics wrong.

Maybe its all part of Allardyces injury prevention policy that they dont have to tackle just shadow your opponent.

His finishing drastically needs improving but you can't understand why he's getting slated?????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He's a bloody striker mate, that's why he's getting slated. he couldn't hit a rhino's arse with a banjo.

His first touch is absolutely appalling, he tried to take a touch with the outside of the boot last night, it ended up being a pass.

He's now in his thirties, so when will he improve? Of course he's not going to improve.

Sorry - my mistake - just waiting for the bids for Drogba and Rooney to come in from Rovers to replace Roberts. Realistically if you pay £2m for a striker - you ain't gonna get Torres. Same applies to the over-expectation for Kalanic - £6m may be a lot for Rovers - but in todays market it ain't a lot.

"he couldn't hit a rhino's arse with a banjo." - only somebody stupid would try that - bound it end up in tears if the rhino took exception.

I know people are saying this was expected and the big 4 have spent X amount compared to us but this game was a disgrace! We are a club that has always been proud and what we have ever lacked in talent we have always made up for in effort, these away games have had no effort or heart. I know everybody has highlighted the thumpings against Chelsea and Arsenal but we were equally as bad against Everton but the score doesn't stick in peoples minds. Wins against the Dingles and Villa are great but as much as I have expected to lose the games we have lost away, the manner of the defeats has left a very sour taste.

I love this club and I don't believe that booing Pedersen, Andrews etc will achieve anything all I want is if we lose I can walk away and say at least we tried and they were so much stronger than us. At the moment we are whipping boys and I have never thought that would be the case, opposition fans are laughing in our faces and I find that so hard to take.

Its hard what to suggest when it comes to playing the big 4. In theory 4-5-1 is probably the best formation but of the 5 in midfield does anybody actually hurry the opposition? We give them so much room that defence splitting passes and long shots can be despatched with ease. I almost would like the bully boys tag back because at least the opposition knew when Rovers were in town they would need to be on their game!

we need to revert back TO BULLY BOYS !!!!!

Yeah, I'd agree with that. Not sure we have the players for it though, particularly in midfield.

Julie Andrews

Mortified Aghast Pedestrian

Al Hedge

Steven Inval-eid

Cindergrella

Nice Guy Nelsen

Nicki Kalinic

Benni Mac

They ain't bullying anybody. Panto perhaps? But where's Steven N'zonzi? (He's behind you!)

You need the right sort of players to play with an aggressive style. Too many of our lot aren't that way out, if you're not born with a mean streak it's hard to acqire one. We've nobody capable of getting stuck in , especially in midfield ( Nzonzi excepted ). Having said that if you go to one of the big four and try and rough house it now a days you'll end up with 2 or 3 getting an early bath. At home you've more of a chance but the smaller sides will always get on the wrong side of the officials.

You need the right sort of players to play with an aggressive style. Too many of our lot aren't that way out, if you're not born with a mean streak it's hard to acqire one. We've nobody capable of getting stuck in , especially in midfield ( Nzonzi excepted ). Having said that if you go to one of the big four and try and rough house it now a days you'll end up with 2 or 3 getting an early bath. At home you've more of a chance but the smaller sides will always get on the wrong side of the officials.

Agreed Tyrone.

Playing 4-5-1 away at Chelsea isn't bad tactics. 4-4-2 would not realistically have made any difference [well it might I suppose. It might have made matters even worse] - imagine Andrews and Nzonzi fighting a lone battle in the central mid against their talent?

You have to try to stifle them in midfield - but not one of those midfielders that played yesterday are man enough, or strong enough. What could any manager do about that?

Must have strong moonshine in az...mushrooms or heroin.

I was drinking Kiltlifter, thank you. An Arizona brewed beer modeled on a Scottish Ale. Very good.

And the Rovers are a good squad. Half of our first team are better than average, a few are outstanding. We have some great talent on the bench and in the reserves. The problem is we have 4-6 players that need to be cleared out, both to lighten the wage bill and to make space for up and comers. As I see it, one problem is a lack of trust between Sam and the board. If Sam oks the sales, will the board allow him to keep the money to re-invest in the squad? Or will they withhold half of it, leaving Sam in a position of not being able to make decent replacements and the focus of the fans' wrath? Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but playing the nags allows Sam to further develop the future (Kalinic, Jones, etc.), for next season, without utterly destroying their confidence or risking a premature injury.

Playing 4-5-1 away at Chelsea isn't bad tactics. 4-4-2 would not realistically have made any difference [well it might I suppose. It might have made matters even worse] - imagine Andrews and Nzonzi fighting a lone battle in the central mid against their talent?

You have to try to stifle them in midfield - but not one of those midfielders that played yesterday are man enough, or strong enough. What could any manager do about that?

Agree - we could go round in circles picking holes on tactics etc, but the harsh reality is that collectively and indvidually we are not good enough to compete with the top teams.

After the match, as someone correctly pointed out, we don't have anyone tenacious, particularly in midfield.

On another note, could not believe there was no alcohol available at the match yesterday. Certainly needed it at times during the 2nd half....

I'm still simmering this morning. Poorer teams than us will go to places like Stamford Bridge and fight, we couldn't even do that.

This is whats killing most of us...how can Brum go to Arsenal and 'only' concede 3? Wolves away to Everton and come away with the draw? Stoke go to Spuds and win?

WHAT IS WRONG WITH US? :angry2:

Agree - we could go round in circles picking holes on tactics etc, but the harsh reality is that collectively and indvidually we are not good enough to compete with the top teams.

It's so glaringly obvious it's hard to understand some of the kneejerk reaction. Add the fact illness has swept through the squad and taken it's toll on some players, it's hardly surprising we shipped five.

I thought we got off lightly only conceding five.

This is whats killing most of us...how can Brum go to Arsenal and 'only' concede 3? Wolves away to Everton and come away with the draw? Stoke go to Spuds and win?

WHAT IS WRONG WITH US? :angry2:

That used to BE us. Then we ran out of money and the trust took their £3m a season off us. You can't stand still in this game, you keep improving or you fall behind.

People seem surprised but we (i.e. Sam) are now targeting games. Fact.

6-pointers used to happen in April and May because that's when you knew the teams around you that you had to beat (to win the league / to qualify for Europe / to stay up). The current state of the PL means that we already know in the Autumn who we need to beat and that's what we are doing. The big risk is that by not competing AT ALL with the big boys we run the risk of getting a poor goal difference than those around us.

Allardyce is a percentage man always was, always will be.

Disgraceful embarrassing humiliating unacceptable performance yesterday

Over the years I've seen many poor perfomances by Rovers in different divisions, but I've rarely felt as utterly disgusted by such an abysmal disgraceful showing as I did yesterday evening.

I'm struggling to put into words how utterly inept, incompetent and humiliating it was. We all know that Chelsea have got better more expensive players than us, but it was unacceptable the way that Rovers stood off and gave so much time and space to a Chelsea team that didn't need to get out of second gear.

The scoreline could have been much worse than 5-0. It could have gone to almost double figures. We offered no resistance at all and could have been 1-0 down after just 30 seconds. It was like lambs to the slaughter.

It was clear to me after 30 seconds when Joe Cole nearly scored without a single Rovers player getting anywhere near to Chelsea that we were going to be comprehensively beaten, outclassed and humiliated. What did Sam Allardyce say to them before the match? Rovers lacked fight, desire and passion. They rolled over. It was an absolute disgrace. There was a detached apathy from the players from the first minute. They looked resigned to defeat from the opening whistle.

Why do sides with unarguably less talent go to the top sides and not concede the amounts we do? Why was £6m spent on a striker when our midfield is possibly the worst i've seen it in 15yrs? Why do none of the midfielders we posses offer no protection to the back four?

The manager has to take responsibility for the embarrassing shambles. That's nine away defeats in a row now from "Mr Expert" and eleven goals conceded in our last two away games. People can point fingers at certain individual players - our midfield is woeful and clearly not good enough - but ultimately the man who has to be held accountable and judged on his decisions for nine away defeats in a row is Sam Allardyce.

I know that Allardyce doesn't like the supporters to have any opinions -"All you punters and supporters out there, leave it to me. I'm the expert, not you," he says, but can I ask you Sam what you the expert are going to do about nine away defeats in a row? Or is nine away defeats in a row acceptable to you?

Do you think that 14 goals conceded in our last three away games - humiliated against Chelsea, Arsenal and Everton - is good enough for an "expert" like yourself?

You are paid very high wages for your "expertise" Sam, so can you please for God's sake try to sort out the utter shambles in our team. The supporters who pay good money to travel and watch Rovers deserve far better than the gutless surrender they saw at Stamford Bridge.

In recent years I've seen some dreadful performances from Rovers - the 3-0 defeat away to Wigan, the European debacles away to Larissa and Gencler, the 4-0 slaughter at Anfield last season which could have ended up about 8-0, but I think yesterday's shambles against Chelsea was as bad as anything I've seen in recent years. It was desperately humiliating.

Sam doesn't like fans to have any opinions, but I would like to give him the following quotes from 8 different supporters which sum up how I feel about yesterday's chaos at The Bridge.

No doubt Sam would say to such fans: "Leave it to me. I'm the expert, not you" - but the following 8 quotes indicate how a number of supporters are feeling about the current situation:

Inept and SPINELESS. Defeat was in the players minds before they had even stepped onto the pitch.

Woeful. Embarrassing. Inept.

I cant begin to display my disgust at that supposed performance.

That was absolutely embarrassing. Watching the game closely we were simply undone at will by a team playing basic pass and move football. The Chelsea superstars didnt need to get out of second gear such was their superiority against a woeful Blackburn team.

We are too quick to capitulate, and there is an obvious lack of grit and invention in our general play. Sam's own ignorance must be called into question.

Shocking performance and lucky to get away with just losing 5-0, could have been a lot more.

Sam has to take a big chunk of blame for this one.

But why could we not at least put up a fight? Why do we roll over and then give up completely when we go a few goals down? Not only were our players massively out-classed today, but it seemed like none of them even cared.

I really sensed a feeling of player despair at the tactics today - and that does not bode well for the dressing room.

I wonder whether Sam needs to address the playing staff - they are far too comfortable - almost accepting we will get beat before a ball is kicked. Sam actually contributes to the general feeling that these games are just write off in the season.

People seem surprised but we (i.e. Sam) are now targeting games. Fact.

That might be right, or partly right, but can anyone think of a better reason to pack in watching their club, than the club going into games accepting that they're already beat?

That might be right, or partly right, but can anyone think of a better reason to pack in watching their club, than the club going into games accepting that they're already beat?

I think you're right. But it's just not that simple is it. No matter what, we'll both coninue to support Rovers because it's our club.

Things are changing for us and do so season on season. The longer we go on without decent investment, the lower our chances of competing and the lower our expectations.

I am not at all happy with targeting games but if it keeps us in the division because we keep players fit and injury free by only 'playing' for 28 games a season then maybe that's how we stretch our squad to meet the challenge. (Even that is a gamble because players are more likely to get injured if they play half-heartedly).

For all the berating he gets from the fans, I wonder what Sam thinks of all this. Is it doing his reputation any good? Probably not. Maybe he sees this as his last club and is saving his pennies for when he retires. He's just turned 55 hasn't he. I'm sure I heard somewhere that he planned on retiring in his mid-fifties.

Hopefully, the next manager will inherit a PL club, and even more hopefully have some money to spend. Just now, Sam is probably the best man to have in charge of a shoe-string budget but it doesn't mean it will be pretty.

yawn... hysterical bunch of girls, what did you expect. We did OK in the 1st half and were unlucky with the own goal. We could have been smashed 4 nil in the first half but we weren't which is their fault not ours (help from Robbo of course). I've had this damn flu and it drains every ounce of energy you have. When one doctor was asked how we would know if we had this flu the reply was that if you were walking down the road and saw a 20 pound note on the pavement and you weren't able to pick it up then you probably had the H5N1.

The second half we were like the walking dead. Six in the squad have the virus, the likelihood is that several more are fighting with it.

Who knows how much any of this played in the game, but for sure it was a game we knew we wouldn't win and in all likelihood we would ship goals. We did lose bad but talking about Rovers being finished and various people being a disgrace is not even trying to look for a reason for the performance is just plain panic.

If you're looking for someone to call a disgrace try pointing the finger at many who post on here, bloody hypersensitve jessys. We'll get everyone fit again, regroup and get out there and win some more games.

For all those ashamed, embarrassed lynch mob tossers just f-off and support the Dingles or some high priced super team who will never lose and leave the rest of us alone to take the ups with the downs.

Bloody clowns just grow up.

That's one way to look at it TJ and it may even explain the Arsenal game. Although we did well in the first half so maybe they caught it at half time. Then there's the small matter of the dingles. Adrenelin?

It's not a one off for those of us who have already got over yesterday (maybe it's that extra hour in bed). This is something which has been happening over the last few seasons. I expect Hughes saw what was looming. Perhaps he was even visited by the Ghost Of Christmas Yet To Come?

In the post-match, this will be nothing to do with him. He takes credit for wins and blames the team for losses

Have you got the lottery numbers as well? I heard and saw nothing of the game. I read The Observer in which The Expert roundly blamed the players for this defeat. I see Philip thinks we have a chance at Old Trafford. I hope so because despite swearing never to go to another Big Four away game under Allardyce I've got tickets!! sad.gif

Archived